Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed bfg at 275/70r18 3weeks ago. I started noticing alot of wear on the outside of front tires. see picture. the rear tires have a very sharp edge but they don't do any turning either. i was concerned that to much pressure is being placed on outside edges but after having realignment with chamber moved in twice i'm still noticing it. is this just normal wear and tear due to the heavy truck when turning/cornering or is this still poor alignment. i have been running tires at around 45-50 psi. i went to 60 but noticed more wear on middle of tires. anyway, i have had these tires on two other lighter trucks and recall this issue. need input as to whether it normal or i should go to another shop for new alignment.
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Can you post some pics of your entire truck?

I think that would make a lot of us willing to help you.

(Guys, we need to hold out til we see the entire truck).

-rockstate

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I'll have to post up a pic of my tires tomorrow as I have about 30K miles on 'em now.

60 is definitely too much, and about 45 or so is about good.

If you're turning heavy, you will notice some feathering on the front tires, say at about 15 mph in a turn. Granted, I have a 112 lb brush guard, but your bull bar wouldn't do it it as bad... what are they, bout 30-40?

Anyway, I think you've got the right pressure, btu I also believe that if it's not wearing TOO fast, the KOs have an exceedingly deep tread on the side so you should be fine with some wear on the outside.

Mine rear tires are almost chunking, but they've gotten me through hell and back to be honest. Great tires, mine wore pretty fast.

Look great on your truck, and here's a pic of mine for comparison (285/65/18).

(chick with big tits leaned up against hte pass. side of the truck).

-rockstate

·
Registered
272 Posts
What psi does the tire say to run? don't our Tundras say to run 32/33 psi?
That's only if you put the exact same spec tire back on. The tire he's got is a heavier rated tire (load range E), in a larger size.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
That's the other thing, these tires are friggin TOUGH.

That was from a rock or a twig or something on teh way out to the gun range. I took it to two different tire shops and they both laughed at me when I asked 'em if it was bad nad needed replacing. Siad these were the toughest tires on the market just bout.

I've drive over 14 hours without letting 'em cool off multiple times now since that happened and no problems yet. (I ahve been monitoring it and no bubbling yet).

-rockstate

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks rockstate,
i guess i am over reacting cause this is a heavy truck so i should expect alittle feathering. the tires make the truck look so much better than stock. plus their not really any louder. just cost alot so i want to make sure i take good care of them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
thanks rockstate,
i guess i am over reacting cause this is a heavy truck so i should expect alittle feathering. the tires make the truck look so much better than stock. plus their not really any louder. just cost alot so i want to make sure i take good care of them.
I just looked at mine and noticed the same thing. I've had an alignment since the leveling kit was installed and driven about 8000 miles. I have 40psi in the front and back, except when I tow I go to 45 in the rear. The wear on the fronts is about 2mm more than the back but just on the outsides. I'm actually past the recommended rotation but am waiting until my summer rims are put back on. With normal rotation (6000 miles) it shouldn't be an issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts