Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let you guys know that I contacted Travis over at Calvert Racing regarding traction bars. The good news is that they do make traction bars for our trucks!

Here is the email I sent them:
Hi. Do you sell bolt on traction bars for the newer generation Toyota Tundras? I have a 2008 supercharged DCSB with a one inch block in the rear. I looked on your website, but did not see that you had traction bars for the newer Tundras. I did hear from another Tundra member that you guys made a set for him.

My truck is a daily driver so I was hoping that you would have bolt on bars.

Let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Here is their response:
Yes, we can make a set of bars to fit your application. I would need your factory mounts in order to modify them for our traction bars. Or I can send out new ones with a 100.00 refunable core charge when you return your factory mounts. Cost is 369.00 plus the core charge and shipping. When your ready please let us know. 1-800-607-2266

Travis VanKirk
Calvert Racing Suspensions
4530 Runway Dr.
Lancaster Ca 93536
661-728-9600
661-728-9615 fax

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am new to this forum but have been wondering about the Caltracs as well. I drive an 06 and have considered building my own. Here is a very informative web sight for all of the do it yourselfer's if you have the mechanical ability. Traction

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I am new to this forum but have been wondering about the Caltracs as well. I drive an 06 and have considered building my own. Here is a very informative web sight for all of the do it yourselfer's if you have the mechanical ability. Traction
Not sure why it doesn't show the whole thing in the previous post. http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/traction.html
I've posted that link before and a guy I met at my daughter's dojo built a set. He strayed from the diagram in what I feel is a fatal mistake. He rigidly mounted the front eyelet, rather than building a bellcrank to put pressure on the spring. I think he will find that the bracket for his front mount is going to break off, but he doesn't take constructive criticism very well. He wants to help build me a set, but I really don't want him doing the same thing to my truck. If I had better access to materials, I would build a set at work. I think socaliallstar is working off of the same diagrams.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
How does this work? Real curious about this.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
How does this work? Real curious about this.
As the axle rotates it pushes forward on the connector link which pushes forward on the bellcrank. The other end of the bellcrank applies downward pressure on the spring at the point where it is most likely to have the most upward movement.

Link to socaliallstar's thread to keep the traction bar threads linked...
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/188890-lakewood-traction-bars-installed-but/

He posted in the 1/4 mile time thread about building a set, but I haven't heard any news on his project in a while. Well, I can't find the post. Maybe it was in another thread. There were several traction threads around the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Judging from the white lithium grease, I suspect that they are a bit noisy.

You really do not want to use a 'wet' type lube, but rather a 'dry' spray like a graphite.....on Heim joints (Spherical rod ends).

Anything wet will just attract more dirt and git. Just an fyi ...

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Thanks. Awesome. I've been looking for traction bars for awhile now. Most of them are built for lifted Tundras. I have soft leaf springs and airbags on the rear. These bars will tighten things back there during hard acceleration.:D

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm interested. I have a slight vibration under moderate acceleration after the install of the lift. I'm looking at a set of these with a carrier bearing drop to solve the vibe.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Just an FYI...
If you guys order these, be sure to let them know if you have flipped the rear axle to the other side of springs, or installed a lift. The dimensions may be different and I know for sure that the plate that the "U" bolt runs through is different. It gets replaced with a new one in the flip kit.

I'm interested. I have a slight vibration under moderate acceleration after the install of the lift. I'm looking at a set of these with a carrier bearing drop to solve the vibe.
The Lakewood bars eliminated my shudder on hard acceleration, but they only work on lowered trucks with a flip kit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The lithium grease is there to prevent corrosion and nothing more. I do live in NJ you know... The threads were lubricated with Neverseize.

The bars make no noise at all, so your assumption would be wrong.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts