Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Sequoia SR5.

I had the cam tower leak diagnosis today at my dealer today. Quote: $3400. I'm debating how to handle this. I haven't smelled any burning oil however I also haven't been monitoring the oil level. I'll start monitoring now. If I keep on top of the oil level, can I postpone this fix?

I took a look at both sides of the car (wheel wells as I've read on numerous sites) and I don't see any leaks however I'm not sure exactly where I'm suppose to see the leaks. If I post some pictures can someone comment on them?

I also plan on taking it to the other Toyota dealer in town. My dealer has a pretty good reputation but I'm going to exhaust all options before shelling out $3400.

· Registered
37 Posts
Had the same issue with my 2010 5.7 and just bought the valve cover gaskets and o rings from the dealer for under $100 and did it at home. If you have tools and know how to turn a wrench then doing it at home is no problem. That's if its just the valve covers. If it's the actual tower, then yes it's way more involved and a lot more needs removed.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see any oil on the ground and I don't smell any oil burning. I also don't see any oil leaking where I've read I'm supposed to see oil leaking. I'll post some pics over the weekend. I'm out of town this week.

· Registered
95 Posts
Just got my 2011 Tundra back from one of my local dealers for the same thing, on my 5.7 Mine was covered under warranty, but still got a copy of the bill, it was $1300.00 and change and that WAS 15 HOURS LABOR, $3400.00 seems kinda high.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh. Some clarification. My water pump is leaking as well so that is included in the price however it still seems very high. I'll try the other dealer in town when I back to Birmingham next week.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I took this to my local mechanic and he showed me the tiny amount of oil that has leaked out. He said for $3500 he'd just monitor it. There was no oil on the heat shield and as I said the amount of oil he showed me was extremely small. So any input on monitor vs shelling out the $3500? He's doing the water pump for me on Thursday, BTW.

And in case someone asks I'll probably keep this for 2 more years and trade it in.

· Registered
174 Posts
Just got my 2011 Tundra back from one of my local dealers for the same thing, on my 5.7 Mine was covered under warranty, but still got a copy of the bill, it was $1300.00 and change and that WAS 15 HOURS LABOR, $3400.00 seems kinda high.
That's the warranty price, not street price. Similar to how the body shop gives you one price, but when the insurance company steps in, the price is 1/3rd what they quoted you. As stated above, if you know your way around a vehicle do it yourself. And at the very least, as you plan to do, get a 2nd opinion.

· Registered
1 Posts
Just gave my son my 2010 Tundra rock warrior. Never an issue with truck until now. Use Castrol full synthetic oil every oil change which I have done myself every 5-6 K miles. He just recently drove it from Vermont to Colorado and as he arrived there he saw smoke arising from under the hood. I told him to bring it in to local Toyota dealership (only has 68k miles) and their diagnosis is cam tower issue ($3100.00). What are you going to do....I'm thousands of miles away...so I tell him to pay.I'll help with $$$. They screwed something else up (haven't seen paper trail) and it takes another week but they pay for their mistake. Getting really concerned about this beautiful truck that I babied for 5 years and gave to my only son for what I'd planned to help him for at least another 5 trouble free years. I ask my boy if they refilled it with syn and he checks with service mgr and he says yes but not convincing. Upon double check they did not use syn oil. They agree to oil change to syn and will eat the cost. My son picks up truck and it makes a LOUD ticking noise as soon as the truck turns on. OMG, why aren't I there....they fix something and off he goes. Next day he gets an email from the Boulder dealership offering 120% trade in on his truck if he wants a new car from them. Also a message that they will give him $1000.00 off of repair bill.

Oy, what the heck do I tell him? Is my beautiful Rock Warrior wrecked and my best option is to dump it and assume a loan to get him a replacement new truck. Sick to my stomach trying to cope with this situation. Warranty obviously just expired before this happened.

Sorry for whining but just fed up with getting screwed.

Thanks

Bill

· Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I just bought a 2013 an already I to am have this same problem with the cam tower leaking on both sides freeman toyota said it would take 20 hours an $3885 to fix the problem?? At what point does it take for Toyota to step in an say ok its time for a recall I mean I just payed $38000 for this truck 9 months ago an by the sounds of it this seam to me to be some what common

· Registered
1 Posts
Same issue with my 2010 Rock warrior. Cam tower leak with only 65,000 miles on it and of course my warranty expired a couple months ago. Has anyone had any luck talking to toyota or heard about any recall? Quoted me $3400 for the fix! CMON!

· Registered
1 Posts
Same issue with my 2010 Rock warrior. Cam tower leak with only 65,000 miles on it and of course my warranty expired a couple months ago. Has anyone had any luck talking to toyota or heard about any recall? Quoted me $3400 for the fix! CMON!
Well, my 2014 Platinum Tundra with 125,000 miles was just the victim of the cam tower & timing cover leak... Because I drive so much (highway), this vehicle is serviced about every other month. Finding out that I have a $3,000 problem with a $50K truck sucks. The ToyotaCare rep was nice, but unfortunately they offered nothing in the was of assistance. I'm not sure how this cannot be a TSB or recall, but I digress. I'm concerned about related "issues" down the road now that this engine has been cracked open.

· Registered
48 Posts
This is a depressing read as I have always been a "Toyota" guy....... It reminds me of the head gasket issue on the old 3.0 motors from the 90's. Toyota took years to admit there was even a problem. Unfortunately, ALL dealers do this. Our Ford work vans have blown several spark plugs out of the heads(dealer would do nothing), My Express/diesel van has had a couple of issue(dealer would do nothing)My wife and I are/were planning to replace both our vehicles with Sequoia's so Hopefully Toyota will step up sooner than later..... I'm having second thoughts now, her 2006 Honda odyssey has had NO issues what so ever!

Sorry you guys are dealing with the problem...

good articles on said problem https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/poll-have-you-had-the-dreaded-cam-tower-leak.979403/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.