Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I'm overlooking the thread as I'm sure I am not the first to ask...

I'm looking to by a camper sometime this fall either a travel trailer or maybe a 5'er and that is where the wheels come off. I would like to by a couple year old vs. new because of depreciation but I feel like I am looking for a needle in a haystack when looking for a 5'er that stays within a couple hundred pounds of the limits on the pin. Is there a list somewhere that sums up the ones that stay close? I know some are going way over but I don't think that is for me.

I'm a complete newb when it comes to campers but ultimately want a separate bunk room for the kids and a separate master for me and the misses. I'm currently driving a 2008 crewmax limited 4x4. My hauling experience is all farm related over my entire life but never a camper or a fifth wheel.

Thanks for your help! Forgive me if I didn't do the right search.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My first advice is not to go asking this question over on rv.net as some of their self appointted weight police will tell you the tundra cant tow more than a popup.

I would however consider only looking at travel trailers and for 2 reasons.
1 you said you wanted to purchase used and it will be difficult to locate a good used 5er that has a low pin weight
2 you have a crew max which has a very short bed and require an exspensive slider hitch.

With this said you will find a lot more travel trailers that are bunk houses that the tundra will tow. I would reccomend a good weight dist hitch such as a reese dual cam, also a good brake controller. Then future might require upgrading your "P" rated tires to some "LT" truck tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I've been over there and some of those folks have the "little man" syndrome about their trucks and bash the Tundra for it. I haven't bothered posting there.

I've looked at the PullRite 12K super slide that moves 22" but man are they proud of it $$$. Your item #1 is why I think I'm looking for a needle in a haystack so to speak. I'm willing to be patient and look around this fall...keep thinking we may see a few more repo's or people who have hung on to them for the summer but need to move them now that it is over. I definetly see a lot more suitable options in the travel trailers though.

I haven't done much research on the WD hitch except that I see enough experienced towers using to know that it is a very reasonable/necessary thing to add on. I'll take a look at the Reese. I actually have a smaller 24ft travel trailer rented (bigger one was already rented) for the Labor day weekend coming up just to get a taste of it and discover some of our likes and dislikes. My wifes family kept one at the gun club and used it every weekend growing up but this will be my first experience. Gotta feeling it's going to be addictive.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeah, not all but a good majority of the rv.net people think the new tundra is similiar to the old one but with a stretched body. I was one of them and drove mopar for years until i test drove mine.

Anyway i would shop around and do one of the RV shows if you arent in a rush. In this economy you might even find that purchasing a new unit would save you in the end, just make certain it is the unit you really like. We have made the mistake of purchasing a unit that wasnt right for us and traded it in after one season.

If you do find a used unit check everything, ceiling for water stains, water pump, fridge, heat, AC, check under the camper for rot on the floor.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
keep in mind though if u want to take a boat with u too ur gonna need the 5'r to tandem tow safely and then u have to watch the overall length of it all, and your states laws...IF you think that might be in the future. We are in that same situation and have decided we wont be able to take both and safely be able to travel alot so we are looking at class C RVs so we can just tow the boat with it and still be able to manuver etc.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
HI,

Don't want to tell you what to do but I'll give my own experience. This Tundra (I've got the DC, not CM, so slightly different) tows a big trailer very well. I've got over 40,000 miles with no troubles on my truck, have towed my big 5-er about 5,000 miles so far, and am one of the weight criminals the RV.net loves to hate. I believe the rear axle rating is very conservative, and I like the trade off of a nice driving truck even if it means I have to exceed the payload rating when I go camping. Air bags and better tires certainly help. So far, the rear wheel bearings are holding up, the axle hasn't cracked in two or separated at the housing, the frame isn't bent, and I haven't flipped my rig upside down.
You can buy a trailer like used in good condition mine for about $18,000. Maybe even less, now. It has separate rear bunhouse bedroom, front bedroom, slideout, etc. but don't believe the pin weight advertised at 1,370 lbs. After you add stuff, and don't forget the weight of a hitch (a slider is even more weight) you'll be near 2,500 lbs payload which will put your rear axle at least 700 lbs over it's rated capacity of 4,150 lbs. The problem is, you're not going to find much of a 5th wheel with a pin weight much less than 1,000 lbs.
Just so you know what you're getting into.

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
Have you looked at this outfit for an RV? They sell new at a big discount and have used also.

Rockwood Fifth Wheels by Forest River, The Original RVWholesalers. New RV's & Parts Sales, Wholesale Dealer

Here is a bunkhouse model with really nice hitch weight.

Rockwood 8281SS Fifth Wheels by Forest River, The Original RVWholesalers. New RV's & Parts Sales, Wholesale Dealer

Dry Weight6835lbs (3100 kg)GVWR8785lbs (3985 kg)Cargo CapacityN/AHitch Weight1197lbs (543 kg)Axle Weight5638lbs (2557 kg)Exterior Height12.25' (3.73 m)Exterior Length30.00' (9.14 m)Exterior Width8.00' (2.44 m)Interior HeightN/AFresh Water 36gal (136.3 L) Black Water 30gal (113.6 L) Gray Water60gal (227.1 L)Awning Size20' (6.10 m)

MSRP: $35101.10
Your RVW Price†: $23400.73
You Save! $11700.37

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would agree with the post about waiting for the R.V. shows.I wanted a cabover pick up camper for my '09 dbl. cab Tundra,but did not know where to start looking.The internet was my first stop to find out how many companies made the type of camper for which I was searching.There were several listed.Then I had to find out which ones were suitable for the 5.7 Tundra D.C.That narrowed the field dramatically.The next step was to find a quality made unit that fit within my budget with the features that I required.After deciding on 2 or 3 manufacturers that I liked,then I had to find one to look at in person.I went to the R.V. and camper show in Richmond,Va. in Jan. and picked out the brand that I liked.The problem was that the closest dealer was over 200 miles away in W.Virginia.We found a used unit that was a year old that had just been traded in that was perfect for my wife and I.The p/u camper was the only way for me to go because I wanted to pull my bass boat with the camper.I know you are looking for a fifth wheel or a trailer but do a lot a research before you buy and don't get in a hurry.Most manufacturers can tell you if your truck will handle their trailers and what modifications need to be done to your vehicle to haul them.I hope this reply was not too much off your initial question,but I wanted to give you an example of what is involved in shopping for the right r.v. or trailer for your family.The Lance 815 unit we bought suits us fine,but there are only two of us so we don't need a lot of room.It has all the comforts of home but it is too small for more than 2 people.Good luck in your search and happy camping.
smitty3317

·
Registered
41 Posts
smitty3317,

How have you modified your Tundra (if at all) to haul the Lance 815. I like that camper even with the shower emptying into the black water tank but have been warned away from it, because I was told that it's too heavy. I can't see where it's that much heavier than the 825. Like you, it's just my wife and I. I'm considering the Northstar Freedom as well but it doesn't have a lavatory in the bath. For us, the Outfitter Apex 8 would be a good option as well but it's a pop-up.

To the OP: You may want to look at Aerolite fifth wheels. I don't think they're made anymore but I've seen some nice used but fairly new units for $15,000 or less.

Best,

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the replies. Tanker Hank I have looked at the Rockwood models and really like what I see...just want to find a "deal" hence my thought on finding repo or distressed situation.

Mudfuel07: Like your avatar brother!

I've seriously broken the weight "laws" a few times but last time scared me after I pulled the seed trailer across the scales...17,8xx pounds of seed not including the trailer. I drove really slow knowing that cart was a little overfilled but I didn't realize it was quite that bad.

Basically want to find a trailer that falls pretty close to limits but am OK with being a couple 100 pounds over if I need to be.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm still amazed at what people think the 5.7L Tundra can handle and personally I think you're all crazy. Any truck from any manufacture working past it's manufactures limits is only asking for trouble down the road. Granted the rear end of the Tundra is rated a little soft IMO but not that much that it can handle the weight of a decent 5er. You'll be looking at a pretty small 5er if you get one at all.

NEVER use the dry pin weight of a trailer when looking at things. Take 25% of the GVWR and that's the recomended weight the pin wil be when fully loaded. As someone else mentioned most 5ers have at least 1000# pin's DRY so add a couple hundred pounds more to that. Oh and unless you're going by yourself the payload rating isn't just stuff you put in the bed of the truck you have to take into account passengers as well.

Yes you can find a SMALL 5er that MIGHT keep you within that hairline over weight but I personally haven't seen anything decent out there that the Tundra could safely handle. You'll be investing in airbags or helper springs at the very least as well so don't forget that cost.

Yes you can exceed manufactures ratings by a bit every once in a while but to do it regularly and for long distances is asking for trouble. While the guys at RV.NET can be pretty self righteous some of the information they provide is solid information and something you need to take into account.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts