Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking for a camper shell for the last (too long) 3 months. Snugtop just seems too expensive. Best as i can figure Leer and Century are the same people. Is that right? In stanton American sells Leer but Century is sold around the corner at Bel-air Shells. Anybody bought from either of these guys please let me know what your experience was. I like the american approch better but bel-air has a much more informative website and they seem to be more upfront. Just so you can see what im seeing i will state there websites. americancampershells.com and belairshells.com. Im having tranmission problems and will fix that first. Camper shell will be right after and I really appreciate any help.

Ron Burdett

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Have you looked for a used one on Craigslist? The worst thing you could do is waste 2 Gs on a new shell when there are a lot of used ones out there for under a G. I got my ARE z-series (over 2000 new) for $400 bucks, and it is color matched and has no issues! Tell me what model (DC or AC) and color you have and I'll do a quick search in your area for you. I'm good at that kind of stuff...

·
Registered
272 Posts
i have a leer that i throw on in the winter to keep the dogs tidy and out of the weather. it fits great, is stylish and does what i ask it to do. i can get it off and on by myself so no assistant is needed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I first bought a Century for my Tundra. Special ordered and had some accessories put on it. When it came in and they installed it it stuck out on the end about a 1/2 or more. Looked stupid. Made them take it off and give me my $$ back. Went and got a LEER. Perfect fit. Looks really good on it. I leave my on but could take it off fairly easily.
Had my LEER for about 7 years. Still looks great. Paint is holding up great and still matches truck paint very good. Window still works great as well. I use it a lot.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just ordered a Ranch, 2-3 weeks and I'll be toppered! All the camper companies have a 1000$ special on their low-end camper, which is still pretty nice. The auth. dealer I went to said the Leers, Ranches, AREs, and Century's are pretty much the same, the Jasons have that little edging lip on the bottom but also similar in contour. Go new and don't worry about leaks, damage, comes with warranty and keeps Americans working

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I have a color matched Leer that's going on 8 years now. It's a great top; it fits well, it's weathered beautifully, the body lines (like from the access cab windows to the windows on the shell) line up smoothly. My only complaint isn't with the shell, but from the quality of the install of the accessories; Not Leer's fault. The shell is a little heavy, and having ~8 inches of lift doesn't really make life easier.. but still, ~8 years and no regret.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a color matched Leer that's going on 8 years now. It's a great top; it fits well, it's weathered beautifully, the body lines (like from the access cab windows to the windows on the shell) line up smoothly. My only complaint isn't with the shell, but from the quality of the install of the accessories; Not Leer's fault. The shell is a little heavy, and having ~8 inches of lift doesn't really make life easier.. but still, ~8 years and no regret.
No regrets on mine either

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts