Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when you guys go off-roading and or camping, what are some essentials that you wont leave home without? I know everyone will say something different, and I am trying to get some ideas to make my next camping/off roading trip more pleasant. It is Labor day weekend (and in Florida that means temperatures up to including 100*) so what do yall have to say? I just went to lowes and bought a battery and electric powered fan for my tent. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
My wife, never leave home without her. Always take my Dutch Oven with charcoal.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife, never leave home without her. Always take my Dutch Oven with charcoal.
Well, I dont have a wife, or a girlfriend for that matter, but I do have a Coleman propane grill so we are good there.

Anything else? :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Tow strap, xtra water, shovel, CB, cash, gun, xtra ice, check the spare for air, cell phone charger, radio, jumper cables, xtra set of vehicle keys, just to name a few.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
the summer tent we use has alot of mesh in the ceiling to allow the heat to escape. If we are camping with some trees we will use a shade mesh we buy in bulk from Gemplers. it keeps the heat down on the tent we also use this for under the tent.
We also use a shade tent to eat under etc.
The biggest treat when we are down at the river is a ice chest with dry ice. it gets a load of ice cream treats. nothing like sitting in 100 deg heat at the edge of the water snacking on ice cream. need a good insulated cooler and shaded well.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
Plenty of coolers full of ice and your beverage of choice!! Fishing pole and tackle. Flashlights/Lanterns. Pistol. Air mattress!! Cooking Utilities. Spices. Knives big and small.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Most important is a chair! I will never leave with out a folding chair to sit around the camp fire or whatever, beats sitting in the dirt. Also a new thing I learned from Herb is that when you're camping that does'nt mean you don't have to eat less. Get a generator! It's nice having pancakes, coffee, tea, anything hot in the morning to warm you up. (But in your case down south heat, an ice cheast with pleny of barley pop!!)

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Our list is huge! The nutshell version: 2 tents, 4 cots and sleeping bags, cooler, food box, chuck box, hiking supplies, truck kit (repair and recovery), EZUP (kitchen) 4 chairs, 2 endtables, 1 rollup table, stove, oven, 21 gallons of water with instant hot water, 1 fullsize folding table, and lots of miscelleneous general supplies (flashlights, batteries, weather radio, etc).

Yeah, it's a lot, and there'll be some of you going "WTF?! All I take is some sphagettiOs and beer and I'm good!"

But keep in mind, this gets a family of four out for a week at a time in absolute comfort, with the ability to cook any meal we can dream up, and still get just about anywhere we want to go...

Packed up it looks like this:

100_5132 by jim65wagon, on Flickr

IMG_2660 by jim65wagon, on Flickr

unpacked, like this:

IMG_0327 by jim65wagon, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our list is huge! The nutshell version: 2 tents, 4 cots and sleeping bags, cooler, food box, chuck box, hiking supplies, truck kit (repair and recovery), EZUP (kitchen) 4 chairs, 2 endtables, 1 rollup table, stove, oven, 21 gallons of water with instant hot water, 1 fullsize folding table, and lots of miscelleneous general supplies (flashlights, batteries, weather radio, etc).

Yeah, it's a lot, and there'll be some of you going "WTF?! All I take is some sphagettiOs and beer and I'm good!"

But keep in mind, this gets a family of four out for a week at a time in absolute comfort, with the ability to cook any meal we can dream up, and still get just about anywhere we want to go...
That is one hell of a setup. And that is a lot more water than I expected anyone to bring. I only bring a small collapsible water bladder with one gallon. And on a 2-3 day camping trip I only use maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of it. I tend to drink a lot of beer while camping so water is for washing hands and for cookin ramen noodles. :D

Here is a rundown of what I take:
3 person dome tent
air mattress
sleeping bag/pillow/sheet
battery powered fan
small folding table
1 gallon of water
Coleman 2 burner propane stove with 2-3 mini propane bottles
pot/pan/utensils
big cooler with food water and other drinks
box with truck misc. truck parts, towels, camping necessities
chairs
shovel/ax/saw
clothes
toiletries

That's all I can think of now.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
Haha 34 foot fifth wheel trailer sleeps our family extremely comfortably. Honda 3000 Watt generator. Honda water pump with filter system to refill the fresh water tank. Chainsaw. Axe. Inflatable Zodiac, outboard engine. Outside dining tent. Outside chairs. Outside Table. Bikes. Lots of alcohol. (Beer, wine, scotch, rum, coke). Cigars. (Cubans :D) Shotguns. Clay pigeons. Clay pigeon thrower. Other families with their stuff.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Don't forget a first-aid kit (advil, tylenol, gauze, band-aids, sting relief, forceps, moleskin, tape, etc.). I would also add a flint, firestarter sticks (awesome for getting a fire to quick start...especially in wetter weather), small axe for kindling, and I second the chair...nothing worse than not having a camp chair when in front of "caveman T.V." (campfire).

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
That is one hell of a setup. And that is a lot more water than I expected anyone to bring.
Yeah, it seems like a lot, but with 4 people, who use it for cooking, cleaning, showers, iced tea, etc, it doesn't last as long as you would think. On our recent Monongahela trip there were 8 of us using it for showers plus dish washing every day so we had to refill the tank each day....not really a problem out here, lots of streams, ponds or springs to get water from.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, it seems like a lot, but with 4 people, who use it for cooking, cleaning, showers, iced tea, etc, it doesn't last as long as you would think. On our recent Monongahela trip there were 8 of us using it for showers plus dish washing every day so we had to refill the tank each day....not really a problem out here, lots of streams, ponds or springs to get water from.
Ahhh I see. Where I go we have showers, so really we only use the one gallon I bring for cooking (which we use very little water) and for dis washing and hand washing. We tend to bring food that doesn't require water to cook, like chef boyardee canned food, green beans, cubed steak, hot dogs, hamburgers..... etc.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Ahhh I see. Where I go we have showers, so really we only use the one gallon I bring for cooking (which we use very little water) and for dis washing and hand washing. We tend to bring food that doesn't require water to cook, like chef boyardee canned food, green beans, cubed steak, hot dogs, hamburgers..... etc.
It's rare for us to be anywhere near a campground of any sort that would provide water for anything, most of our time is spent out in the National Forests, on some little out of the way campsite (read, fire ring and enough room for the tents and truck) so we take everything we need, and usually eat extremely well.....

IMG_1769 by jim65wagon, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bought these yesterday at sports authority, I am tired of messing with paper plates and what not. Plus, this will keep the trash down. And you can't go wrong for just over $6 for both. :D

Coleman - 6 Enamelware mixing bowl -

Coleman - 10 Enamelware Plate -

Also bought a 6 in 1 multi spice dispenser with assorted salt, pepper, cayenne etc....

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
A nice AAA approved hotel with all the amenities:D. I don't go camping at all.
I think the Army jaded me in any thoughts of roughing it in the great outdoors.

The one facet I can add to this discussion is my Coleman Roadtrip grill. I use
it for tailgating and have had it for about five years. It's nice and compact
and I think would probably be pretty good for camping. Hope you have a nice
trip.

John

1 - 20 of 24 Posts