·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok i got a price back on the cams 1000 bucks plus you need to send the old ones back, RWHP 35 SICK And if there are enough people that really want them he will cut us a break.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Because they want the old cams these are 'regrinds'. There is anything wrong with a regrind, not quite as durable as a cam made from billet stock but WTF, you could still easily have a regrind outlive the truck anyway. Basically a regrind has material built up on the existing lobes and then reground to new specs.

The reason I mention that these are regrinds is because you can bet the bank that they are not doing their cam regrinds in house.

If people are really interested in hopping up the motor with cams you would only need to see how much room you have until you have coil bind (to assure you wont bind the coils, I am not suggesting you push the lift close to the bind point....but you could) and send your sticks to ANY proficient company that does regrinds. I would only personally go +2mm additional lift without changing duration, this should still be able to maintain daily driver reliability. You may find someone that is cheaper then the 1K$ (however 1K for 4 regrinds is not unreasonable all things considered)

I use Web cams in most of my race motors (*one has megacycle but there is no point in changing what isnt broke).

If someone was seriously considering increasing HP by using a regrind they should also quote Web (*there is a good chance they are the ones doing the mentioned cams as well).

Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts

-ALSO....

By putting bigger cams in the motor will open a can of worms with the motor....meaning that you could EASILY see 35WHP on a OEM motor....but will also make CAI, headers and other mods more effective as well.

~JH

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know thank you for the info, so with a set of cams and everthing eles that my truck have i might be looking more like 45whp?

·
Registered
819 Posts
I would love to do something like this, but I got Lifetime Powertrain warranty. Oh well, I just hope there is an aftermarket supercharger that is more reasonable price wise $6000 is a little much.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would love to do something like this, but I got Lifetime Powertrain warranty. Oh well, I just hope there is an aftermarket supercharger that is more reasonable price wise $6000 is a little much.
Yea but they sure are fun!!:D

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have found the supercharger and fit for: $4636.00.
Still allot of money but considering what you are really getting and what other supercharger kits sell for its really a great value for the money.

With cams, intake, exhaust and tune this engine could gain 75HP.... problem to the equation....no way to tune.

~JH

·
Registered
128 Posts
I sent my cams for my supra to crane to get them reground to my specs. A lot cheaper than 1k, but that was a few years back. A cam with a good ecu tune and all our little bolt ons would be nice. Not sure about the ecu part though..

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Am going to look in to it a lil more with some race shops around here. Someone out there hase to know of a way to tune these dam trucks, if it means switching over to a full blown out standalone system then mabey thats what ill have to do, any guesses how much this motor can handle? How about how much a standalonewill be able to make this truck that much more?

·
Registered
90 Posts
well the matte black tundra made by toyota had a 5.7, supercharged, and 2 100 shots of nos hooked up to it. So I'm guessing 600hp is obtainable...

·
Registered
90 Posts
On a side note, did i read their site right? a 6.0l stroker and pistons made for tundras that are turbo charged?? Why haven't I heard of this before?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes there is a 6.0 stroker and it is good for a turbo charger set up, the dude i talked to said most of his clinets are from dubai thats probly y we havent heard much about this 6.0

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes there is a 6.0 stroker and it is good for a turbo charger set up, the dude i talked to said most of his clinets are from dubai thats probly y we havent heard much about this 6.0
Whats good for turbo is good for supercharger as well. A bigger primary drive pulley and you will up the PSI to the TRD supercharger.

With lower CR, better pistons, rods and higher PSI on the valves as long as the crank could take it the motor could go well into 700+ HP, and sky is the limit with boost....until something breaks (and it always does).

If done with the supercharger would also mean you need more intercooling, more fuel, transmission and rear end that can take it....not to mention inevitably you will end up finding the motors next weak link and it will always be expensive. Soon you will have a race only vehicle that still gets plowed by lighter vehicles more suitable for racing.

I like the idea of cams for the motor. $1000 and an afternoon for 35-40+HP isnt so bad (considering what headers and cat back cost for less HP) if they dont adversely affect reliability. I have stated before that cams and possibly in conjunction with intake and free flowing exhaust could make this motor gain HP not thought possible without boost.

~JH

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I sent my cams for my supra to crane to get them reground to my specs. A lot cheaper than 1k, but that was a few years back.

:confused: so are you saying two cams will be cheaper to regrind than 4 :confused:

:D:D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am saying if you get the specs of the cams and send yours in to get reground you might save a little. Not sure if you want to be with out your truck for a little though.

What company are you talking about with the stroker kit? Do you have a web site?

Are the pistons in the 5.7 not forged?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am saying if you get the specs of the cams and send yours in to get reground you might save a little. Not sure if you want to be with out your truck for a little though.

What company are you talking about with the stroker kit? Do you have a web site?

Are the pistons in the 5.7 not forged?
I believe pistons are cast. The rods and crank are forged however.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe pistons are cast. The rods and crank are forged however.
:tu:You are correct sir Jonny tell him what he's won... :D

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
The pistons are cast hypereutectic, so they are somewhat stronger than just plain cast.

If I'm not mistaken, the cams in our engines are semi hollow to save weight - not 100% sure about it though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts