Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to install some HID headlights on my TCH, but I'm afraid they might not work with the DRL's.
Has anyone done this successfully, without damaging the DRL system?
I know the Avalon Limited and the Touring model come with HID's, and the DRL's still function.
So there must be some way to do it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK I see that no answers are forthcoming from this forum, so I dug into it another way.
HID's are a simple install on the TCH, IF you have the correct wiring harness.
Apparently you need something special to keep the computer from showing an error when you turn them on.
The genuine MTEC line has just such an install kit for the 2077-2008 Camry.
AND you don't have to worry about the DRL's, because they are on your High Beam circuit, not the Low Beams.
So the DRL's, and the Auto headlights feature will still work as normal.
Plus with the advantage of the HID's drawing only 35 Watts, instead of 55 watts, like the stock Halogens do, the reduced electrical load should help improve your gas mileage too.
(After all, you don't get something for nothing.)
But saving gas will NOT pay for the lights.
So the real reason you install them is for the triple light output, and the longevity of the bulbs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the good advice.
In my search for "Correct" information on this conversion, I came across the MTEC line that addresses exactly what you are talking about, by supplying a special ballast that is designed just for the 2007-2008 Camry.
They guarantee "No Computer Error" with their kit.
And they also guarantee lifetime bulbs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course.
That's why the "Kit" is made especially for the 2007-2008 Camry.
There is no need to do some bungled up amateur wiring job, (Which will for sure void your warranty.) when it's not necessary.
The MTEC kit is a high quality, Japanese manufactured, conversion that is meant for dealers, to offer real (headache free) HID's.

There are plenty of cheap Chinese kits that are made for generic applications that usually end up in disaster, and one very expensive repair at the Toyota dealer later.

And unless you have the correct type of ballast, you will get an error message from your computer when you power up.
Good luck with the cheap kit, but if things go horribly wrong, don't say you weren't warned.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Uhmm... it's not anywhere near as much of a nightmare as you paint it to be. I've used MANY 'cheap Chinese' kits with nothing but success save for one bulb fitment issue.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You used a cheap Chinese generic HID kit, and it didn't produce a computer error code?

Which system/kit number did you buy that allows that?

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Every single post here seems like "the Blind, Leading the Blind".

No one gets it here. Aftermarket HID's are not DOT Compliant.:td:

(If yu want HID , just buy a Vehicle that offers OE HID.)

The wow Factor is "wow", but all yu get is a "MESS" of Illumination and this is inconsiderate to other drivers. The Light "cut-off" cannot be controlled.:td::td: It should not be used other than for "Off Road".

Some people forget that we "Share the Road" , not own it exclusively.

To dispute the above, please offer some REAL technical insight.:)

And, unfortunately, there's no challenging the facts.

LT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Life Tech your 50% right. After market HID's are not DOT approved.
But on the camry they use a lens and not just a reflector to aim the light.
If you look at the stock Camry halogens they have a cut off just like HID equiped vehicles so the light will be in the same place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Installed the MTEC kit yesterday, very nice.
Ordered the 6k lamps, looks like OE!
No CEL.
-Joe

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
This isn't a european car,you won't have any error codes if a HID system is installed. No resistors or "black boxes" are needed.

I have both 07 and 08 electrical wiring diagrams in front of me. There are connections to the body ecu,but its for triggering the relays,not for directly powering the bulbs. The relays supply power to the bulbs,relays get power from the battery. So how would there be any error codes?

I can't upload pics @ work,but I'll post diagrams tonight if anyone needs a better explanation.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

I outlined the lowbeam relays and bulbs in red.

See how the main body ECU connects to the relays? Those are the ground terminals for the relays' coils,these are low-current circuits. The ECU does not look for a 55-watt load,hence no difference in operation if a HID ballast replaces the bulb. There's no need for "special ballasts",resistors,etc.

The diagram also shows the highbeam circuit,you can see the DRL relay. According to Toyota it's a solid-state relay,I think it lowers bulb voltage via pulsewidth modulation instead of resistors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What about drawing too much power from the existing wires? ie on startup?

I have seen another Camry drive past me on the road with HIDs, it was okay, but not as clean as OEM solution.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures? I am looking to install a HID kit on my 09 TCH. Any recommendations as far as brand/bulb color? I don't want the cheap blue or purple look.

Thanks-

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I suggest 4300k-5000k as this is more OEM-like when it comes to color temperature. Personally, I prefer 4300k and I have a kit but the base of the 'bulb' wasn't quite right so I gave up while trying to get a refund for the purchase. Maybe some day I will get back to this project again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I suggest 4300k-5000k as this is more OEM-like when it comes to color temperature. Personally, I prefer 4300k and I have a kit but the base of the 'bulb' wasn't quite right so I gave up while trying to get a refund for the purchase. Maybe some day I will get back to this project again.
What would you NOT recommend? I was looking into MTEC but don't know too much about them.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What would you NOT recommend? I was looking into MTEC but don't know too much about them.
I have always used eBay and shopped by price and feedback rating and never had a problem accept for this last one and it was long enough ago (couple years) that I don't recall the seller. So, I have had one negative experience in like a dozen purchases. Sure beats paying the $300 that 'known' vendors charge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchased a pair 8000k low beams from xenoneyes. It took about a week to arrive but well worth the wait.

So I installed a HID kit on my 09 TCH and I am very impressed. The installation was a lot easier that I thought (except when I dropped the plastic ring down in the engine bay) and only took about 20 minutes to install (after I figured out where to but the ballasts).

I was pleased to know that the DRL were not affected and the Auto function still worked ( I read a few horror stories that were not true for me).

We have a 07 ES350 and the projector style housing is almost identical. What makes it even better is that the HIDs on the TCH look stock as compared to the ES350. My main reason for purchasing the kit was to have better lighting when driving and I achieved it.

Alright, this is a little spacy (running on 3 hrs of sleep). I will post pics soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts