Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Read Only
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
2012 Tundra. Had a rodent eat my knock sensor wiring. Dealership did let me stop by and they put the scanner on the truck and they pretty quickly figured out Knock sensor and showed me under the hood. They said it happens all the time. Dealerships here in California are booked out 2-3 weeks. Its crazy.

I have an appointment to get it fixed but as mentioned not for 3 weeks. What do you think about driving the truck? Dealership said it was fine.

It does not shift into high gear, I believe it gets up to 5th but will not go for 6th. Read here on-line that is pretty common.
I had a trip of 200 miles each way coming up, think its safe?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Why dont you just fix it yourself? If its just a chewed wire cut it, splice in a new piece, heat shrink wrap it and call it done. The dealer's going to probably charge you an arm and a leg.

Reactions: Igotjesus88

·
Read Only
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I understand you have to pull the cylinder heads to do it. The dealer is specking out 5 hrs. I'll admit, its a bit over my head.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Thats because dealers dont actually fix things, they replace them. They wont patch a broken, cut or chewed wire in a wire harness, they will replace the entire harness. How much are they quoting you for the job, a grand, maybe more? Can you see the damage yourself, are the wires physically reachable where the damage is? If yes, its up to you but I would fix it myself. And no, I dont mean pulling the heads and replacing the wire harness, I mean repairing the damaged wire. At the very least take it to your local independent and ask them how much to repair, not replace.

·
Read Only
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. This is what people dislike about the internet. You clearly have no idea where the knock sensor is located yet feel the need to chime in on how you would do it. You didn't answer the question yet I'm sure feel good about yourself because you told me what you would do. I'm out. bye bye tundra solutions..

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Wow, who pissed on your corn flakes this morning? Your right, the internet is bad because idiots like you cant do things for themselves so you need to be spoon fed how to do it. Since you are either dumb or lazy I did the search for you. Took me all of 2 minutes and found an already existing awesome thread with lots of pretty pictures for you. And if you do decide read below you will see its not the cylinder head, its intake manifold. But again, I guess its too much work for you to do some searching for yourself to figure it out.
Take it to the dealer, and have them do the work, if you lack the intelligence to do a search then this one is clearly way over your head.

·
Read Only
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, who pissed on your corn flakes this morning? Your right, the internet is bad because idiots like you cant do things for themselves so you need to be spoon fed how to do it. Since you are either dumb or lazy I did the search for you. Took me all of 2 minutes and found an already existing awesome thread with lots of pretty pictures for you. And if you do decide read below you will see its not the cylinder head, its intake manifold. But again, I guess its too much work for you to do some searching for yourself to figure it out.
Take it to the dealer, and have them do the work, if you lack the intelligence to do a search then this one is clearly way over your head.

Wow. Just wow. Calling people idiots.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I thought you said you were leaving. If you wont I will. Good luck fixing your truck. You're welcome by the way for finding you that thread.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had to laugh at the discussion starter's reaction to the reply of his message. Why post if you don't want answers? Cheapskate, let him pay his money to the dealer. If he took it to an independent the repair would probably cost 1/4 the cost or less. If a rodent could get to the wiring it must be out in the open. Jeez a wire stripper, some solder and solder iron and marine heat shrink and your done. Some people would just rather hand over all their money. What I really don't understand is the outrage when someone offers an avenue of help. All you have to say is "Thanks but that's more than I can handle." Go figure.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4
8 Posts
I just had this happen to me. 2011 Crewmax. It was actually my second time with rat damage. I've lived on dirt roads in the desert for 20 years and never had this happen before. The first time I went outside to see my car cover full of holes and thought "uh oh". I popped the hood and my engine compartment was full of nesting materials and a rat was looking right at me. I got it cleaned out and caught the rat with a snap trap. I had to use salad tongs to pick out all the rocks. I could see that various wires and hoses and the underside of the engine cover were chewed up. Repair cost was $600. After that, I left the hood up and put a bright solar light on the engine cover. I didn't see any more signs of mice.

A month later, however, I drove to Walmart and noticed the check engine and anti-skid lights were on and 4lo was blinking. I hadn't noticed them with my sunglasses on. I googled it while still in the Walmart parking lot and people in this forum and others had a myriad of explanations for what it could be. I pulled out my code reader and got the knock sensor code. Then I researched whether I should be driving it. I learned about "limp" mode but my truck seemed to be running normally so I drove home and made an appointment at the dealer. I drove it 90 miles to the dealer but I was worried the entire time. I got off the freeway where I could and when I couldn't I sat behind the tractor trailers and kept my speed low.

The first estimate was "it could be as high as $3,000. We won't know until we get in there". In the end the cost was $1150. That included repairs to wiring to the knock sensor, recon to check other wires and hoses, new air filter, new cabin air filter and cleaning out the giant nest that was in the dash below the airbags on the passenger side.

I got home and added nightly snap traps, 2 more bright solar lights, one of those high-pitched noise makers that attaches to your battery and a higher powered noise maker that I plug in and put on the ground underneath the truck. I caught 5 more rats with the traps but nothing for the past week. I'm worried that they've figured out the traps so I've ordered some humane catch traps to use (just in case).

This experience has made me want to sell my house and leave the desert. A condo with a garage is sounding pretty good right now. It's hard to sleep wondering what kind of damage you will wake up to!

Good luck and I hope your repairs don't come in at the high end. Also, consider asking Toyota if they have the anti-rodent knock sensor wire harness. I know a guy with a Honda that had this happen and he said the replacement part they used had a picture of a cartoon mouse on it. The wires have casings infused with chili powder or something like that. I didn't hear about this until after my repairs so I didn't know to ask.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Excellent write up, by the way. I've heard this story before from folks living outside the city limits everywhere. One fellow with a giant motorhome even put up an electric fence to keep the vermin from eating the wires and hydraulic hoses off of his rig. He told stories of fried snakes and the like getting caught up in the fence.
I'm a 'City Slicker' but we're not immune either. One Saturday morning I pulled the car around front to perform some maintenance and found this under the hood. He didn't eat anything ~ he was merely looking for a warm place to sleep the night before. I broke out my welding gloves, scruffed him ~ he ran off and disappeared in the ivy down the alley.
Sometimes you just never know . . . :)

RESTING HERE.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
As for your original question...drive 400 miles? Read some of the threads where knock sensor and limp mode are discussed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow. This is what people dislike about the internet. You clearly have no idea where the knock sensor is located yet feel the need to chime in on how you would do it. You didn't answer the question yet I'm sure feel good about yourself because you told me what you would do. I'm out. bye bye tundra solutions..
Wow. You obviously need to tone it down. The help offered is logical and makes sense there was nothing offered that deserved the terse response. Knock sensors can throw a code but are not an essential part of the vehicle. Calm down breathe and think. The Stealership isn't going to fix something to correct the problem they replace things its the way it is its the American Way. This pays better and gives less headaches and less liability. If paying makes you happy why come to these forums. Just take it to the Stealership and be happy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow. You obviously need to tone it down. The help offered is logical and makes sense there was nothing offered that deserved the terse response. Knock sensors can throw a code but are not an essential part of the vehicle. Calm down breathe and think. The Stealership isn't going to fix something to correct the problem they replace things its the way it is its the American Way. This pays better and gives less headaches and less liability. If paying makes you happy why come to these forums. Just take it to the Stealership and be happy.
I learn a lot here but there are some things I'm not inclined to fix myself. I'm old, my eyesight sucks and there's some stuff I don't want to attempt on my own. I am retired and I need my truck to last for many years and I don't want to screw it up. I'm not rich or I would be driving something newer than 2011 but for some of us there is peace of mind in taking our trucks where we know they work on Toyotas all day and will get the job done quickly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I get it. In my area I have found the Dealerships are not honest and some of the private garages are more honest.
I had several bad experiences with Dealerships and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Many of the dealerships have mechanics who are stating out in their profession and are not paid well. Many of the brightest move on as they gain experience and start there own business so they can make a decent living. Unfortunately its the way things seem to be going.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all.
2012 Tundra. Had a rodent eat my knock sensor wiring. Dealership did let me stop by and they put the scanner on the truck and they pretty quickly figured out Knock sensor and showed me under the hood. They said it happens all the time. Dealerships here in California are booked out 2-3 weeks. Its crazy.

I have an appointment to get it fixed but as mentioned not for 3 weeks. What do you think about driving the truck? Dealership said it was fine.

It does not shift into high gear, I believe it gets up to 5th but will not go for 6th. Read here on-line that is pretty common.
I had a trip of 200 miles each way coming up, think its safe?

Thanks all.
It should be ok i have a 2014 i use manual shift most of the time and hardly ever use 6th gear lol... mostly 5th gear i like manual for better throttle response even at 80 mph

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a knock sensor go bad on a Pathfinder. Online suggestions were a longer bolt or hose clamp to fasten to somewhere else on the motor. I followed another suggestion to just solder in resistors for a value from a manual. No knocking on cheap gas on hills. Cost me about two bucks!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I had to laugh at the discussion starter's reaction to the reply of his message. Why post if you don't want answers? Cheapskate, let him pay his money to the dealer. If he took it to an independent the repair would probably cost 1/4 the cost or less. If a rodent could get to the wiring it must be out in the open. Jeez a wire stripper, some solder and solder iron and marine heat shrink and your done. Some people would just rather hand over all their money. What I really don't understand is the outrage when someone offers an avenue of help. All you have to say is "Thanks but that's more than I can handle." Go figure.
I will be the first one to admit I did not look for location of the knock sensor when I said he should consider fixing the wire himself, because it does involve removing the intake manifold, and that can be a huge job for some. Like Katyclair said, if your older and dont want to get into a job like this there's nothing wrong with wanting to get someone else to do it.
But I will stand behind what I said, ask questions, get a second opinion, and make sure you know what you are getting before you hand anyone a stack of your hard earned money. In this case there are several threads on this site that show exactly how to do this repair and include pictures. Even if you get someone else to do it, you will see what this one requires.

Here's an example. This one has not only pictures but even includes part numbers and prices. Scroll to post 5. Looks like Interex had the manifold off in 45 minutes and had the repair done about an hour later. It was the first thread for gen 2 doing the search and took me about 30 seconds to find it.

Reactions: Katyclaire

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will be the first one to admit I did not look for location of the knock sensor when I said he should consider fixing the wire himself, because it does involve removing the intake manifold, and that can be a huge job for some. Like Katyclair said, if your older and dont want to get into a job like this there's nothing wrong with wanting to get someone else to do it.
But I will stand behind what I said, ask questions, get a second opinion, and make sure you know what you are getting before you hand anyone a stack of your hard earned money. In this case there are several threads on this site that show exactly how to do this repair and include pictures. Even if you get someone else to do it, you will see what this one requires.

Here's an example. This one has not only pictures but even includes part numbers and prices. Scroll to post 5. Looks like Interex had the manifold off in 45 minutes and had the repair done about an hour later. It was the first thread for gen 2 doing the search and took me about 30 seconds to find it.

Thanks, that was a very enlightening thread and if it happens again I will check in with the local shop in my town. I'm going to hunt for some fake snakes like the one guy advised and look into electric fencing. I am at wits end. I had the knock sensor wiring and other rat damage fixed, came home to the desert and set up the remedies that were suggested on youtube videos but I keep catching rats with snap traps set up in my engine compartment. The one this morning was caught in the trap but not dead and it was a mess. I'm afraid not to set traps in case they're moving back in but I also wonder whether baited traps are luring in rats that maybe weren't interested in my truck at all. Sorry to rant. This sucks. Twenty years in the desert and two Tundras and this never happened until this summer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts