Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys, this has probably been asked before, but I've searched and can't find it. I have a 24' trailer with interior lights. The power is thru the 7-pin connector. Can I park my Tundra, turn off the engine, lock the door and still be able to draw power to run the interior lights on the trailer for a short amount of time? I've tried it several different times, and it only seems to work while my truck is running (and that won't work for me). Any ideas, Tundra masters?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Sorry guys, this has probably been asked before, but I've searched and can't find it. I have a 24' trailer with interior lights. The power is thru the 7-pin connector. Can I park my Tundra, turn off the engine, lock the door and still be able to draw power to run the interior lights on the trailer for a short amount of time? I've tried it several different times, and it only seems to work while my truck is running (and that won't work for me). Any ideas, Tundra masters?
No, you cannot power the trailer with the truck off unless you run a seperate wire directly to the battery.

The 7-pin only has power to the trailer when it's running, and is there to protect your truck battery.

I myself, like this feature. When i park overnight, i don't have to unplug the harness due to fear of battery drain.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
as stated, rewire it. or get a small 12v battery and some LED lights for the trailer and light it up that way.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I had a separate battery put in my trailer for just this occasion (as well as the power for the electric tongue jack). Think it was relatively easy to do (based on the $$ it cost me to have the place I bought my trailer from do it, lol :) ).

I use one of those twist quick disconnects on the battery post to completely disable it when we have it parked.

·
Registered
525 Posts
you dont have to have the truck running, but you have to have the key on.... and as others have stated, a small, aux battery would work. and dont quote me on this, but if you wire it correctly, i think it will charge when it is plugged in. i know the batteries on my travel trailer do, but i dont know if that is due to some other circuitry within the camper or not.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts