Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I safely just lower rear end and not have to do the front?

I would like to lower the rear end of my truck for loading purposes. I dont want to lower the truck for looks or anything like that and would only like to lower it a few inches. It doesn't have to be level with the front and still have some rake. Can I safely do this(not damage any of the suspension/brake lines etc...)? I want to keep a stock ride(well improve it if I can) and still be able to haul things. I don't tow anything so that is not an issue but I do haul things from time to time and it is hard to load the truck with the back end so high.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Look for a rear shackle kit. I think you can get them in 1" and 2"

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i didnt think ours were able to be lowered with shackles...havent looked under mine but i dont think so from what ive come across..... u could just carry sand bags haha. but really ur only gonna be able to lower it an inch or two w/o it looking dumb and lowrider ish with the front higher...is that going to be worth the effort just to load things an inch or so lower?

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
If you get longer shackles it will come down. I believe tunda racing offers a rear kit the brings down the rear only by 3.25". They are advertizing that as a leveling kit.

Tundra Racing-2007-2009 Drop Kit

·
Registered
38 Posts
Shackles will not work because the spring attachment is above the spring. On GM models the spring attachment extends from the frame and the spring is actually above the attachment. I've been trying to come up with a way to lower mine in the rear two inches but have not come up with a way other than replacing the rear spring pack. If you use longer shackles it will raise the rear.

If you look at the SOS kit it requires placing the spring pack under the axle and then uses longer shackles to get it back up to an acceptable height.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I think I remember some saying that the rear leveling kit makes the front end up higher than the rear. Is this true? Does anyone have one of these kits installed that could verify or deny this?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hell yes you can. I am in Atlanta now and can't wait till Saturday. I am nervous about the game but win or loose, we will have a good time. Roll Tide Roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Shackles will not work because the spring attachment is above the spring. On GM models the spring attachment extends from the frame and the spring is actually above the attachment. I've been trying to come up with a way to lower mine in the rear two inches but have not come up with a way other than replacing the rear spring pack. If you use longer shackles it will raise the rear.

If you look at the SOS kit it requires placing the spring pack under the axle and then uses longer shackles to get it back up to an acceptable height.

With the shackle being below the mount like the tundra you can use longer shackles to lower the rear. It may seam weird but it will have an effect because with the longer shackle you are lengthening or flattening the spring. With out a flip kit or the required pinion correcting parts you will damage the ujoints. 1-2 inches should not matter too much. I have a flip kit on mine and the shackles are about 7" long. I did call Belltech because I wanted to bring the rear up about 1" and they said I could redrill the lower holes up from where they are now and it would raise the rear about the same. Essentially putting some arch back in the leaf pack. GM style shackles also employ the same concept but mount differently. Give SOS, belltech, McGaughy's, DJM a call and ask them what options are available for what you need to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts