Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the recent posts on types of grease, grease fittings, etc. A little how-to advice would help: number and location of fittings, type of grease to use, use a little vs. use a lot, etc.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Even my walmart tech does this task correctly with no supervision! It does not take a lotta knowledge to complete this task, rags,light, grease gun with regular fittng and a needle fitting, Moly-Litium Grease and do not overlube your fittings, only causes a big mess. when ya hear the grease coming from the fitting look at the fitting and the first grease ya see that comes out stop cause you will overlube if ya keep pumping and wipe off small amout of excess. If no grease came out change the fitting, pretty straight forward, small 1/4 drive socket and go get a new one! if you are tring to lube a 4x2 good luck!! Toyota Socal authorized me to use Moly-Litium on all fittings and works good for me since i lube a 93 PU and an 06DC both 4x4x's. the fitting in front of rearend on the drive shaft tube has one fitting and just pump it till ya see the shaft move a little, this fitting can be overlube easy and do not lube till you see shaft not moving and grease coming out between the two shafts. No time for pictures since i dream about them after working in my fathers Full Service Gas Station for 12 years. Just get yourself a gun and some tubes of moly-lith and find the 8 fittings if it's a 4x4. cleanest way is let walmart do it with a manual gun and your grease, i asked them to do that and they did not have an issue with it, that way you know it has the correcrt lube used because moly lith is ok on all fittings! Sorry no Tutorial but lube jobs do not need to be overbaked!!:) this was under search=lube Toyota Maintenance: Tacoma & 4Runner 30K Mile Service

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moly-lith, 8 fittings, and don't overlube. Got it! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
if ya 4 wheel a lot you allready know about protecting your eyes while under your rig!!with your sign in name i would take it you will either have no sand in your eyes or both full of sand so go for the goggles!!:tu:

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
i feel for the guy. i've lubed a lot of vehicles, but the tundra is a bit different in some respects and folks have had problems.

finding the moly lube was tough in our small town. everybody had the regular lithium, but i wanted the moly in the small tubes since it is only used in two places and i use the regular stuff in all other vehicals, mower, trailer, etc. finally settled on new, large gun and large tube of moly just for the two joints on the tundra.

the grease zerks are actually 7mm, 1/4" wouldn't fit well enough on my truck and i was afraid i would round off the corners. try finding a GOOD quality, hex head 7mm wrench in our little town.

the zerks being metric, are a bit picky on what type of grease gun tip you use. i find i didn't need a needle once i got the correct metric tip for my gun(s).

the approach angle for the front drive shaft is tricky. you have to turn it just so and hit it from between the hydraulic lines to get a good seal. on mine, it is best to spread the two lines apart and stick the tip up between them into the joint. (yes, i know there is a joke in there waiting to be let out - ha, ha....)

yes, it's easy to miss some of the fittings.

if you search around, you'll find most of the info but a nice sticky for greasing would be nice for the new guys.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think I made a mistake when greasing my driveshaft zerks the other day. I used some 'Plews 30-127 All Purpose' grease (NLGI 2 rated, lithium base) that I found in my garage. I plan to have my driveshaft professionally re-lubed soon, but I just want to make sure that this is adequate in the meantime. :eek:

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
I have used Lubriplate grease Lubriplate Web Store - Detail

for years and still would suggest it.

For locks its graphite mixed with molly lube

I usually find this at the bearing belt and chain kind of places.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have actually been using a marine grease....i would think this would be a better solution IMO...due to the better qualities of it

just my 2 cents :)

I do have a question.....How much grease should go in the rear driveshaft??? Should I grease until it starts to move forward? How do I know when I have enough in there?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
yep just until ya see it "the drive shaft move" forward a tad, will not hurt anything but will make huge mess when it slings out when ya accelerate if ya over lube it!! Since book says to use 2 different lithium greases thats great but i called Toyota Socal and they said Moly Lithium is ok for all fittings, just give them a call, it makes no since on having to use and fuss with 2 when 1 works! just gotta make sure you use the "MOLY" grease! i do both of my 4x4 toy's and i called for ok to do both and they said just do not use straight litium where it calls for moly litium!:eek: and molly was good on all.:tu:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ok, one other thing. If I have the wrong kind of grease in there now, is there an assured way to clear all of that out to replace it with the moly lithium?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yep...just keep filling until you see the new stuff come out (except for the telescoping shaft in the rear)

I have been using standard marine grease and have not had any problems

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I think I made a mistake when greasing my driveshaft zerks the other day. I used some 'Plews 30-127 All Purpose' grease (NLGI 2 rated, lithium base) that I found in my garage. I plan to have my driveshaft professionally re-lubed soon, but I just want to make sure that this is adequate in the meantime. :eek:
believe me you can probably do a better job with correct product and a couple rags!! i saw where someone paid 34.00$ for lube on a Toy?? they also charged him 130.00+ for lube and clean breaks?? they saw him coming!!:td:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Found this thread so I thought I would use it!! Just a quick question....

How often do you guys grease your Tundra? Do you do it by time (like every 6 months) or by miles driven?

I mainly drive around town and do not tow anything. I go off on some forest service roads to get to trailheads but nothing hardcore and no driving in deep water.

How often should I grease???

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
don't they explain this in the owners manual?
Of course not. They want you to bring the car into the dealership so they can charge you $85 an hour to do it for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
now I'm confused I didn't see any Moly-Litihum Grease but I did see some Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Grease (SynPower is formulated with a lithium complex thickened in a synthetic base oil, moly and other premium additives) and I have read where some people are using the Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease the Mobil says (synthetic base fluid with a lithium complex soap thickener) but mentions nothing about having moly could I use either one of these or should I keep looking for a Moly-Lithium specific???????

by the way I have an 06 AC 2wd SR5

:ts:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Helpful news: Valvoline makes a moly-fortified lithium grease. Photo attached. I just ignored the refereces on the cartridge to Ford/Mercury. I now use it on my farm tractor and equipment too.

Not so helpful: I don't know jack about synthetics. Others will have to advise you on that one.

Last thought: I thought the 2WDs can't be greased?:confused:

Attachments

·
veteran member
1,757 Posts
Helpful news: Valvoline makes a moly-fortified lithium grease. Photo attached. I just ignored the refereces on the cartridge to Ford/Mercury. I now use it on my farm tractor and equipment too.

Not so helpful: I don't know jack about synthetics. Others will have to advise you on that one.

Last thought: I thought the 2WDs can't be greased?:confused:
They can't so if 2wd don't worry we weren't lucky enough for lube zerk fittings.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts