there is an antenna amplifier that needs a power signal

according to the schematic, it is the orange wire

I'm putting in an aftermarket radio Kenwood DDX812

but preserving the JBL amp. To do this I had to

use the Metra wire harness TYTO-01, otherwise the JBL

amp won't know to turn on because it needs to receive a
digital signal to turn on .

the aftermarket radio works just fine but can't get FM/AM reception,

now I know why, LifeTech was kind enough to post the JBL schematic and you can see there is an antenna amp that needs to be turned on,

also, if you guys look at the back of our JBL HU, there are TWO antenna wires (one large / one small) , it was confusing as heck because the aftermarket radio had only one antenna input. I'm assuming it has something to do with the rear in-glass antenna that came with the JBL systems

I just used the one big antenna plug into the aftermarket unit and left the small one dangling ,
this resulted in no FM/AM reception, so now I try
using the power antenna wire from the Kenwood to supply a signal to the antenna amp , hopefully this will work. I'll let you guys know,

If I get this right, I'll be sure to post the procedures with pictures on how to change the head unit on the highlanders with JBL .

thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me ... I'm trying to find out how (or if it is possible) to install Bluetooth in to a 2006 Highlander Hybrid? I've been told that the capability is there, you just need to get to it? Whatever that means? When I purchased the car, the dealer told me ... yes, sure, it has bluetooth! And, I want to either control it via the steering wheel or some 'built-in' button.

What do you think? Is this possible? What would you suggest.

Thanks in advance,
DJ (California)

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
The 1st gen Hl's just never had a BT option.

The Schematics bear this out. Yu would have to reverse engineer the Landcruiser and Sienna Schematics. Could be done. My guess is that it would be cost prohibitive. Yu need the correct Lexus/Toyota BT Tranceiver to begin with.
And in the end, it doesn't pair well with many Cellphones out there. Some to a very limited extent.
Anyone care to add to this or differ from my findings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2005 Camry with (I believe) a six speaker JBL system. I want (need, actually since the CD player is shot) to replace it with a after market Kenwood with BT, iPod control, etc. Crutchfield warns that the "Info" button on the steering wheel will no longer activate the trip computer if the radio is not the factory one. (I'm guessing that all of the buttons from the steering wheel (volume up/dwn, etc, along with "info") route through the radio harness. A simple test: I have the radio out of the car now, and the Info button does not work.

Does anyone know a workaround? Can someone post the wiring diagram for the 2005 Camry with 6 speaker JBL system, 4 door coupe? I would be most appreciative ... I have the car torn apart and need to resolve this.

Thanks for this forum ... very helpful,
DZ

·
Registered
2 Posts
LifeTech ! thanks very much, much appreciated,

just what I thought,

there is an antenna amplifier that needs a power signal

according to the schematic, it is the orange wire

I'm putting in an aftermarket radio Kenwood DDX812

but preserving the JBL amp. To do this I had to

use the Metra wire harness TYTO-01, otherwise the JBL

amp won't know to turn on because it needs to receive a
digital signal to turn on .

the aftermarket radio works just fine but can't get FM/AM reception,

now I know why, LifeTech was kind enough to post the JBL schematic and you can see there is an antenna amp that needs to be turned on,

also, if you guys look at the back of our JBL HU, there are TWO antenna wires (one large / one small) , it was confusing as heck because the aftermarket radio had only one antenna input. I'm assuming it has something to do with the rear in-glass antenna that came with the JBL systems

I just used the one big antenna plug into the aftermarket unit and left the small one dangling ,
this resulted in no FM/AM reception, so now I try
using the power antenna wire from the Kenwood to supply a signal to the antenna amp , hopefully this will work. I'll let you guys know,

If I get this right, I'll be sure to post the procedures with pictures on how to change the head unit on the highlanders with JBL .

thanks guys.
Tomcat,
I'm a wiring newby and need help reading the diagram LifeTech posted. I need to know what colors the steering wheel control wires, (and basically all the others) on my 2006 highlander with JBL are. I tried to wire an aftermarket stereo but the wiring diagram I used for my highlander was incorrect, the new stereo doesn't even turn on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tomcat,
I'm a wiring newby and need help reading the diagram LifeTech posted. I need to know what colors the steering wheel control wires, (and basically all the others) on my 2006 highlander with JBL are. I tried to wire an aftermarket stereo but the wiring diagram I used for my highlander was incorrect, the new stereo doesn't even turn on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Im in the same boat, did you figure anything out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im in the same boat, did you figure anything out?
Yeah I figured it out. There’s a seperate plug going into the factory radio with only three wires in it. (Light blue/green, pink and grey. The grey is the steering control ground and the blue and pink are steering wheel control one and two. If you’re re-programming the buttons with a new stereo it shouldn’t matter if you have one matched up with one and two with two. Hope that helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts