Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007 Tacoma Double Cab Sport 4X4 with the towing package and read the manuals to learn the do's and dont's! It didn't say anything about what gear to tow in! All my full size trucks i had before had a tow/ haul feature which basically turned the O.D. off. The Tacoma doesn't have this feature. I guess when a trans shifts in and out of O.D. alot you will ruin it with excessive heat? So do you keep your truck in 4th gear or do you tow in drive? I'm only pulling 3000 lbs, think drive will work? Can't wait to get pass the break in period of 1000 miles! Hopefully my mpg will still be decent towing my big zero turn mower ( 14+ mpg)?

·
Registered
666 Posts
This has got to be one of the most popular Tacoma question's on this site. The Answer is yes, you can tow in drive. I have a 6 speed manual on my 07 so I can't tell you from experience, but that is what the owner's manual says. I believe the reason being is a very smart automatic transmision that is made for a V8 (Tundra, 4runner, Land Cruiser, Sequoia) so you know it is strong and the heavy duty tranny cooler I am sure helps.

I am sure some Automatic owners will give you input and real life experience soon.

Also, do a search in this forum for towing in OD, that should give you a lot of info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts