Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can my tundra handle a slide on camper does any one do this and any issues

truck is 5.7 dc towing package if it matters

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I don't know but seeing them heavily loaded I would put in the air leveling helpers springs, or add a leaf to the springs,, the air level system is the way to go though, cause you can turn in on when you need it, and have factory ride when you dont..

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Please, please, please search. Or at the very least just look at the most recent topics because there is yet another trailer/towing thread currently being discussed.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
Try a search. There is a pic out here somewhere and a lot of discussion on this. The Tundra can handle it, but your suspension and tires will need help. It's been done.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
No. It does not. Sell me your DC for cheap...really cheap. Otherwise yes.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have had a truck slide in camper for nearly the entire 3 years I have owned the 07 Tundra DC 4WD TRD Limited. Key issue is weight. Mine weighs only about 800LB dry and maybe 1100LB loaded. The truck will handle ok with that weight.

Read the owners manual regarding how much the truck will handle!! I did.

At 75 MPH going down the road I am good and feels good. Wind resistance is an issue and should be considered.

Yes you can carry more weight.. how safe is your call.

Best of luck with your decision and choices.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I am currently in Alaska from Ohio with a 6.5ft Northstar pop-up truck camper. Camper weights 1,600 pounds dry and easily weights around 2,100 with water and gear. I have it in a crewmax with airbags and even towed a 6x12 enclosed trailer.
The truck handles the weight great with the airbags and E-rated tires @ 45-55 psi. I have never needed more power or wished I had bigger breaks. I really feel that with airbags or stiffer springs and E-rated tires the Tundra could be considered a 3/4 ton truck.
My dad has a new 1-ton Chevy dually with a duramax and is amazed with the Tundra.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I am currently in Alaska from Ohio with a 6.5ft Northstar pop-up truck camper. Camper weights 1,600 pounds dry and easily weights around 2,100 with water and gear. I have it in a crewmax with airbags and even towed a 6x12 enclosed trailer.
The truck handles the weight great with the airbags and E-rated tires @ 45-55 psi. I have never needed more power or wished I had bigger breaks. I really feel that with airbags or stiffer springs and E-rated tires the Tundra could be considered a 3/4 ton truck.
My dad has a new 1-ton Chevy dually with a duramax and is amazed with the Tundra.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
A pop-up camper in a crewmax?? :eek:
I would like to see some pics of that! :cool:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Your truck can handle it. Back in the old days when truck campers were popular, you saw them on half ton trucks a lot. I've had a Four Wheel Pop Up Camper on my '07 Tundra for 3 years now and I forget it's even on there anymore. Granted, it's a light weight camper, but when I load it down with gear it starts getting heavy back there. I haven't done anything to the suspension - still have the junk non TRD shocks and springs on it. Planning an upgrade soon, but it handles the weight fine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm considering a camper as well and have been researching and trying to decide on a Tundra or a 3/4 ton whatever. most camper manufacturers design a camper for 1/2 ton trucks. Lance has a 825 which they recommend for this. Camper weights vary a lot and you'll have to stay in the 1800 lb range and use with airbags.

The pop ups are nice to carry as they are not top heavy like the full wall ones. The pop ups are hard to heat in cold weather (like hunting season). I've owned both years ago and you can go through 20 lbs of propane in one night if it's cold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts