Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Tundra's Tow capacity is 10,500lbs with a payload of 1,500lbs. If your tongue weight is usually 10% to 15% of trailer weight it seems to me you would exceed the Tundra's payload before you even put yourself in the truck. I mean a 10,500lb trailer is going to have to put you right at your payload limit so how is this possible?

Payload =
Weight of Occupants

+ Weight of Cargo

+ Weight of the Options and/or Additional Equipment (such as roof rack, snow plow, bed liner, etc…). In other words, everything added to the truck's base Curb Weight.

+ Tongue Weight (if trailering)

The Tongue Weight is the weight of the trailer tongue that is carried on the hitch ball. Tongue Weight is generally 10-15% of the maximum total weight of your trailer when it's loaded.

·
Registered
352 Posts
10% of 10,500 = 1050 lbs. Still leaves 450lbs for driver, etc.
You will find that any half ton truck with max weigh trailer attached is near max payload. If you go with a reg cab 2wd 5.7L standard box its payload is 1690lbs and long box is 2065lbs. per toyota's website.

Jim

·
Registered
552 Posts
The payload and towing numbers are conservative in order for the manufacturers to "CYA". I believe that if you follow the guidelines GVWR, etc. you should be safe. Not to mean that there won't be obvious and expected degradation of acceleration, braking, and handling vs. an unloaded/empty truck.

·
Registered
742 Posts
You've just touched on the one area where I think Toyota is making an error. I know for a fact that the truck can handle a lot more payload. When I was in IN to tour the plant and drive the trucks, they loaded them up with a bit over 2000 pounds of payload. This included a 3900 pound trailer. We then drove a road course that pushed the thing VERY hard. The Tundra handled things that I never imagined it could. There were Fords, Dodges and Chevy's getting pushed all over the course, but the tundra just handled like it was empty.

I was shocked when I saw the payload ratings. I know it can handle more. I've done it. This presents the question of why. I suspect it has something to do with GVWR and the EPA. I'm betting there is some category for mileage or emissions that Toyota needed to get the Tundra into by using a lower weight rating. This is just a wild guess on my part, but its the only thing that makes sense.

If you load the truck to its maximum towing, you are encroaching on the max payload on any double cab. You do have some room for occupants and gear, but not a lot.

What was really strange to me is that the trainers at the IN event made fun of the Titan for its low payload capacity. That really made me believe we would have significantly more, but the final numbers have us roughly 100 pounds to the better.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The payload numbers on this truck don't add up. It's obviously built for a lot more... I believe this is some sort of boneheaded marketing decision.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Payload numbers are more important to me than towing capacity....I can't see myself ever pulling more than 6000 lbs let alone 10,000...a sled trailer, 18 - 21 foot motorboat...thats the extent of my towing......However, 1500lb payload capacity vs 1800lb does make a difference......A sled deck and two sleds weigh about 1400 lbs ......just about the current capacity of the crewmax.....now I need to some additional capacity for cargo and people.....right now I can get away just putting one sled in the bed, but down the road I will want to put in two....I guess I can always just load the kids sleds in the bed so I do not exceed capacity..........now that I think about it, I would also need around 200 extra lbs for the tongue weight of the trailer.....damn....guess I need a bigger trailer.....

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The payload on my previous Tundra was 1,400lbs (2000 Toyota Tundra LTD TRD) and I exceeded my payload all the time when towing a 5,000lb load. Wife at 150lbs, plus me at 225lbs and our 150lbs Great Dane add my brother and law at 250lbs and thats 775lbs. Add 500lbs of camping and ATV riding gear and another 500lbs to 700lbs for tongue weigth and my payload was around 1,800lbs if not more which had my bump stops slamming on the axles everytime I hit a bump in the road and the pickup did not feel safe. I wonder about the new Tundra because the Payload is only 200lbs better than the old model. Remember too that the new Tundra is almost 1,000lbs heavier than the old model. So if I use the same senerio and add say a 10,000 trailer my payload (1,000lbs to 1,500lbs tongue weight) will be 1,275lbs plus another 1,000lbs for tongue and now I'm at 2,275lbs exceeding the payload capacity by over 700lbs. So basically if you want to tow the max towing weight of 10,500lbs you better make sure you don't bring your spouse, your dogs, not family or friends, no extra gear and that you don't weight more than 200lbs otherwise you will exceed your payload.

Personally if I ever needed to tow more than 7,000lbs I would just do it with my 3/4 ton Cummins Dodge and If I ever needed to tow more than 10,000lbs I would upgraded to a 1 ton dually.:D

The reason why I bring this up is because the new Tundra is really growing on me and I've been thinking about buying a white TRD Limited 4x4 5.7, but after my memories of my last Tundra and looking at the payload numbers it wont work. :(

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Guys the tow rating its just that, tow. But since we all tow with some tongue weight we have to use our judgement to payload consideration. So your tow rating is really what's left over from your GCVW or payload limiting GVW whichever is lesser. Other than that, 10,800 towing means tugging a dead weight object that weighs such. That means any vehicle can drag around a tree/trunk of it's max tow rating with absolutely no tongue weight and still be safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow--my first night on this site and all I can say is wow. You guys are incredibly smart. If people find this out, the prototypical pickup truck driver being a dumb hick might just change. I'm hooked!:tu: :tu: :tu:

I never realized talking trucks could be so fun AND educating:ts:

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Wow--my first night on this site and all I can say is wow. You guys are incredibly smart. If people find this out, the prototypical pickup truck driver being a dumb hick might just change. I'm hooked!:tu: :tu: :tu:

I never realized talking trucks could be so fun AND educating:ts:
Flattery with get you everywhere!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts