Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When water hits the faded spots it almost goes away so maybe its just damage to first layer. I have tried to use different products on it with no success. The spots look like there gone but the next day once the paint is fully dry it will re-appear.

The spots are self-inflicted :(. I ran over a newly paved road and got tar all over the car so I stupidly used wd-40 to get it off. Well the tar came off like butter but this is the result...

Thanks for your help!
20150924_145038.jpg 20150924_145043.jpg 20150924_145051.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
You might do a google search for "auto detailing forum" and post the pics and questino there. It's pretty hard for me to tell from the pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The problem wasn't the WD-40, the problem was the grit in the tar you rubbed into the paint and scratched it. Wax will not fix it. You need to step up in polishing grades from high grit to medium grit just fine grit. Then hit it with some glaze and finally wax. There are many products such as Adams, Griots etc. but at your local O'Reillys, not in the standard wash and wax section but in the body repair area you can find Maguires in all different grades of polish. If it's real bad you may have to wet sand it but that's a whole nother story. I would not attempt it if I were you if you're having issues at this stage repairing it.

edit i've had good luck with the stuff called scratch out in the past for a quick repair but it's not going to be perfect. But it's a good start. It's like a medium grade polish. I have used it in the past also for one of the many steps of polishing your headlights when they are hazy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You can use clay bar to clean the faded paint spot and restore the shine by polishing.
It will surely deep clean the paint. You can also use a mind polish like Mothers paint cleaner to restore its shine, but for faded paint it may need some wet sanding procedure.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If this is not something you have done before, you may want to take it to a detail shop and pay the $150 to have it taken care of by a professional. If you are comfortable with a polisher, have at it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts