Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main thing that I don't like about the Yaris is that the rear window doesn't open independently of the hatchback door.
Because I would be saving so much money if I bought a Yaris over a more expensive "green" car, I wouldn't mind throwing in an extra grand
(or whatever it may cost???) to get the rear window modified at the factory so that it would be hinged & able to be manually opened (I'm
guessing it would cost way too much money to make it electronically open).

Can anyone venture a guess if modifying the rear window to open manually would be possible for a thousand dollars or so?

Or would it cost a lot more?

Has anyone heard of this kind of thing being done at a reasonable cost?

Thanks !

·
Registered
111 Posts
Darnnit, Just open the hatch, woman! What is this bizare fixation on an opening rear window? Once owned a P1800E Volvo? Real advice - the factory can't do anything for you, most all autos are built on an automated production line - not by hand like a Bentley. An auto body shop that specializes in car customization should be able to help you but I venture a guess that the cost would be prohibitive. Thats where to ask. And they can give you "scissor doors" and a lowrider hydraulic suspension too ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
""Just open the hatch, woman""

I don't want to open the hatch while driving to let things hang out the back end -- it's safer if the door stays shut and only the window opens.

""What is this bizare fixation on an opening rear window? ""

Are you speaking in general terms? As in people, in general, have a bizarre fixation about an opening rear window? Or are you implying that my one question posted on this board several months ago is displaying a bizarre fixation unlike anyone else's?

Darnnit, Just open the hatch, woman! What is this bizare fixation on an opening rear window? Once owned a P1800E Volvo? Real advice - the factory can't do anything for you, most all autos are built on an automated production line - not by hand like a Bentley. An auto body shop that specializes in car customization should be able to help you but I venture a guess that the cost would be prohibitive. Thats where to ask. And they can give you "scissor doors" and a lowrider hydraulic suspension too ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
P-Girl-
I recall the toyota tercel sr5 from the 80s had a opening rear window. I think its unsafe to have a rear portal open due to exhaust entering the cabin. In fact it may be illegal in 49 states. What are you planning on moving furniture? Or, dead, stiff bodies of 6' tall men? May be surfboard for coalmine surfing in Penn? My Polacks come from Dickson City near Scranton. ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
PG-
"are you implying that my one question posted on this board several months ago is displaying a bizarre fixation unlike anyone else's?"

GINH- Absolutely!

Well at least I responded ... sorry if I was more rude than usual. My Jobs gets me mad and I gotta bitch at somebody (that I dont know!).

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
The main thing that I don't like about the Yaris is that the rear window doesn't open independently of the hatchback door.
Because I would be saving so much money if I bought a Yaris over a more expensive "green" car, I wouldn't mind throwing in an extra grand
(or whatever it may cost???) to get the rear window modified at the factory so that it would be hinged & able to be manually opened (I'm
guessing it would cost way too much money to make it electronically open).

Can anyone venture a guess if modifying the rear window to open manually would be possible for a thousand dollars or so?

Or would it cost a lot more?

Has anyone heard of this kind of thing being done at a reasonable cost?

Thanks !
for sure Toyota wont do this for you. If you really really wanted it done you would have to go to a custom shop and they would charge you an arm and a leg. 1000 wouldnt be a enough. Find a vehicle that has the function you want. Does the Rav4 have it? I know the Tundra's and the 4 runners have the rear sliding window but those both of them are gas guzzlers.

Grumpy you need to relax. Get another job if your job sucks. No need to be an A**.

·
Registered
111 Posts
T 786- You are right. I need a better job (or Boss at the very least). I did apologize though. I was trying to be funny but it didnt come out that way!
Sorry, P-Girl; no bad intent on my part.
- GINNH :(

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
P-Girl-
I recall the toyota tercel sr5 from the 80s had a opening rear window. I think its unsafe to have a rear portal open due to exhaust entering the cabin.
Explain why Siennas have pop-out rear side windows and Surburbans have flip-up window on hatchback. Some (maybe older) wagons/SUVs have roll-down rear window.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Explain why Siennas have pop-out rear side windows and Surburbans have flip-up window on hatchback. Some (maybe older) wagons/SUVs have roll-down rear window.
so you can asphixiate your neighbor's kids in the back seat on the way to Wendy's.
really BAD ENGINEERING.

There is a Federal law that requires the exhaust outlet to be X-inches behind the rearmost opening portal. Ther is a "vacuum" at the rear window typ due to the air being "spoiled" the the car truncated rear. Aerodynamics are widely misunderstood, that why you see yahoos driving around with their tailgate down trying to improve highway MPG. IT DOESNT WORK and is illegal in many states.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I don't have a problem with rear opening windows that's close to exhaust.

As long as the vehicle is moving 20-30 MPH and front windows open or HVAC on fresh, air flow is more than HVAC blower.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Never really thought about this... so is driving around in the Sequoia with the rear window open risky?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts