Registered
444 Posts
Base price: TBA
Engine: 5.4L V8

Enough said.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I'm sure toyota has a vehicle that could compete with that. All manufacturers probably do. with 1 raptor they will sell many, with 4, nobody makes out.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Base price: TBA
Engine: 5.4L V8

Enough said.
"The Raptor’s inaugural 320-horsepower, 5.4-liter V-8 engine with 390 pounds-feet of torque will be identical to the 5.4-liter V-8 available in the rest of the F-150 lineup, but that won’t be the case for long.

Several months after its summer debut, by the end of 2009, the Raptor will receive Ford’s brand-new, large-displacement, two-valve OHC 6.2-liter premium V-8. This is the engine formerly referred to as the Boss V-8, and the Hurricane before that. Final power figures haven’t been set, but it’s expected to be naturally aspirated and produce approximately 400 hp and more than 400 pounds-feet of torque."

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
"The Raptor’s inaugural 320-horsepower, 5.4-liter V-8 engine with 390 pounds-feet of torque will be identical to the 5.4-liter V-8 available in the rest of the F-150 lineup, but that won’t be the case for long.

Several months after its summer debut, by the end of 2009, the Raptor will receive Ford’s brand-new, large-displacement, two-valve OHC 6.2-liter premium V-8. This is the engine formerly referred to as the Boss V-8, and the Hurricane before that. Final power figures haven’t been set, but it’s expected to be naturally aspirated and produce approximately 400 hp and more than 400 pounds-feet of torque."
The reviews of the truck that I have read have been positive, and I am glad to see that Ford is still willing to make vehicles like it, but I don't see that it means that everyone else needs to follow with their own. Especially when you consider that we don't yet know a price tag. And lets be honest,
400hp and 400+ lb.ft from 6.2 L is not overly impressive, considering what Toyota is making with less displacement.

·
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not interested in everyone else following with their own, I just want TOYOTA to offer up a better Raptor.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
400 hp may be a conservative number just like they use to do with the 70's muscle cars. It also should be able to handle the mustang performance upgrades. For that kind of vehicle, hp is not as important as the torque

·
Registered
374 Posts
Will this be able to actually TOW anything? Or will it be like all of the past Ford specialty trucks that can't tow for sh*t? How much money is the 6.2L truck going to cost. Probably close to or more than $40K. For that money, I'll add a SC to my new truck, pocket the cash and take a nice vacation.

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Ditto with Manoah, but I really like the thing.

Hell, Border Patrol is looking at buying them. Pricetag is aronud 40gs which is a big disheartening but, whatever. It's no different than a Limited DC but it's got a lot better suspension.

-rockstate

·
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I saw something interesting this afternoon...

An all black Raptor was being trailed closely by a silver short bed, 2 door Tundra.
It looked like they were about to have some fun on some country roads :cool:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Long Travel? The only thing "Better" about the raptor suspension is the Fox's. 11 inches in front and the same as a stock truck in the rear. All this Hype over 2 inches of increased front wheel travel and maybe $2k in shocks? My Long travel gave me 4-5 inches more travel not 2, which is what you get from a simple upper arm replacement not "Long Travel".

My 95 F150 had WAY more travel then that with stock I beams and the stock rear leafs. Then I added bent beams and a 4 inch coil and it had rediculous travel. They shouold have slapped some bent beams and fox coilovers with some 62's in the rear and THEN they would have had something to brag about. The front shocks don't even have a Resi.

I will stick with my reliable Toyota and then throw some $ at the suspension to have it correct rather then spend ALOT on a truck that needs long travel and better front shocks any ways. PLUS after all that you still have a Ford.

BUT this is coming from someone who goes to the desert ALOT and builds/beats and uses the truck for off road. I know the travel I have now is not enough and I plan on building my next truck with more.

BUT In my Opinion NOTHING beats Fox Shocks so at least they got the best shock maker on this project. As long as they are not a watered down version of the fox's like the bilstiens that come on our TRD's. Bilstein is a GREAT off road shock as well but not when they come on our Toyotas.

38k or 41k with the 6.2, OR a standard F150 for starting at 21k? OK take the standartd for $25k since I am sure it is more then 21 and then add the good stuff. $4190 for a J&D kit which gives 16 inches of front travel with better strength. Then add $440 for steering upgrades which I would recomend on either truck. $895 for a spring Under Deaver which gives 19 inches of rear travel. Then Shocks depends on what you want and how many you want to run.

Truck+Front(J&D)+Steer(J&D)+rear(Spring under Deaver)+Shocks (2 bypasses Rear)+shocks(2 bypasses Front)+Shocks(2 coilovers Front)+Coils(4 coils)+Bumps(4 2.5 bumpstops)=Total

25,000+4,200+440+900+1450+1450+1450+400+1260= $36,550 (You can find better deals as well this is all list price from the net)

36,550 is parts added up (Rounded up) for an F150 that would absolutly KILL any raptor out there plus the suspension and steering would be stronger and more reliable and it would have things the raptor doesn't (Stronger steering, Adjustable bypasses, More travel, Hydrolic bump stops....). You could build a raptor imitation for MUCH cheaper. There are other things needed as well but those are needed on the raptor as well like Cage, Seats, harnesses and so on.

In the end it is not worth it (I think). The truck they follow on the offroad races to hype this thing is as raptor as the rest of the trucks are F150's. It has custom Foxs not the ones it is sold with and custom everything else just like every other race car.

The article says "Usually it’s over-design, jump it, break it, increase safety factor, try again. We took an engineering approach: Jump it, measure it and design it to those loads.” This bothered me because no doubt we (Public) will go beyond those measured amounts.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm not interested in everyone else following with their own, I just want TOYOTA to offer up a better Raptor.

Hahaha hell yea me too. My brother's been bashing my dad's 08 and my 05 ever since that thing showed up on the radar!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts