Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

I need some help identifying a part .I need to know if it is Toyota Tundra Thust Washer.

I don't recognize the symbol and have on toyota dealership here or parts house to ask.

If you can help and you recognize these?

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Engine thrust bearing from crankshaft?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think so.. but I don't recognize the symbol and cannot find the part number anywhere.That is why im really trying to make positive ID on it.. thanks

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Are you the fellow with the 2000 Tundra engine problem?

The number on the piece of bearing is likely a clearance ID. If you found this in your oil pan, it's safe to say your engine has some serious issues.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok out of all the parts .. that I found..wouldn't there be some trace of an part number on them? Do you recognize the symbol there? Could this possibly not be a toyota part ? and If it is.. Why wouldn't i have ever heard any noise in the engine ever.. and the engine doesn't smoke and it performs wonderfully and never really had any issues with it..Even with the little shimmy at idle it runs superb..does that sound like parts falling out of an engine..? If someone can make positive id.. that it is in fact a toyota engine part.. then ill say.. ok maybe I have engine issues but if not why . should i think otherwise..Please don't misinterpret my thoughts here ,im only trying to make positive id. Thanks for your answer.. and just curious here ,what kind of clearance is 0D02?

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Believe it or not, your crankshaft may be broken.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a way to tell without a shadow of doubt..there is a problem.. Engine compression test five 145 and one 144.. Does that help? or could you give me a suggestion other than breaking the engine down to find out.I think when they had the rear main seal out and oil pan they checked the crankshaft?

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
You can have perfect compression numbers with a broken crankshaft. If you're feeling something like the engine is missing or you have vibration, it could be due to a slight imbalance caused by the broken crankshaft. The only other thing which could make the center thrust bearing come apart like that is the torque converter swelling, putting too much preload on the crankshaft and thrust bearing. The way things are now, your crankshaft will be walking all over the place, even if it isn't cracked or broken.

You will need to pull the main bearing caps (and possibly the connecting rod bearing caps) and carefully look at the crankshaft, especially at the edges where the journals meet the counterweights. You can double check this by putting a breaker bar on the dampener turning the engine back and forth.

The bearing in your picture looks like an original Toyota bearing to me. I'm not sure what the number depicts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
that looks like a weight off the balancer....and not a broken crank..lol....with a broken crank i dont think it would run very well ....i would take it to a GOOD shop or the dealer....

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
that looks like a weight off the balancer....and not a broken crank..lol....with a broken crank i dont think it would run very well ....i would take it to a GOOD shop or the dealer....
He (or his mechanic for that matter) found this in the oil pan.

I've seen an engine with a broken crank before that actually ran fine, except for a vibration.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
You may want to PM lextreme on this one as well - he's worked on quite a few of these motors before.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you said that to examine all these things,what should it cost to do this to: ....... find out what its going to cost..

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Is your truck auto or standard? A standard puts way more pressure on a thrust washer than an auto.
I had a bad one on my triumph. Luckily I had a shop in Memphis spray some metal on it and restore it to like new tolerence

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
That basically entails pulling the oil pan. Shouldn't be that big of a deal, not to mention anyone with a half way skilled brain should be able to find an issue like this fairly quickly. At very least you can get a good visual of what's going on in there. Diagnosing a missing/bad thrust bearing is as easy as shoving a pry bar between the 3rd main cap and the counter weights - shouldn't be more than a few thousandths inch clearance.

We are talking about a 2uz-fe 4.7 motor here, right ???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE ....My Toyota Tundra made the 1200 mile trip ,no problems no bad incidents and since arriving in Louisiana is running like a top..Whatever this was in the oil pan doesn't seem to have affected my Toyota and I am no longer worried about the truck..Its solid as a rock. so whatever that was in my oil pan apparently isn't a major issue..I still have a little miss in the engine but have since I bought the truck new in 2000..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts