Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to just remove the overload leaf spring to soften up the ride? I don't haul or tow much and never go off road. What options do I have to soften up the ride? I do not want to raise the rear end any more. It is high enough. I heard about the Deaver spring pack but that lifts the rear end and would cause the truck to have more rake than what it has now.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
pls disregard my original post. I did this to my '98 Chevy 1500 with good results, and assumed it could be done to the Tundra. Apparently, the overload leaf on the Tundra provides stability to the spring pack when in static mode.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Is it ok to just remove the overload leaf spring to soften up the ride? I don't haul or tow much and never go off road. What options do I have to soften up the ride? I do not want to raise the rear end any more. It is high enough. I heard about the Deaver spring pack but that lifts the rear end and would cause the truck to have more rake than what it has now.
Not a good idea. I've done it. It lowered the rear alright but it also deformed the leaf springs upwards. So instead of a nice arch, I had a W. The ride sufferred too cause the deformed springs didn't function like normal leaf springs anymore. It became more jittery and presence of axle hop.

For my truck, I replaced my leaf springs with Alcan springs. These are custom leaf springs. It lowered the truck and soften the ride at the same time. But it didn't deform or caused axle hop. The top of my tires (stock Bridgestone) is even with the top of the frame now. The only thing that I'll add is the Firestone Airbags for heavy loads.

You may also try rear flip kits.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not a good idea. I've done it. It lowered the rear alright but it also deformed the leaf springs upwards. So instead of a nice arch, I had a W. The ride sufferred too cause the deformed springs didn't function like normal leaf springs anymore. It became more jittery and presence of axle hop.

For my truck, I replaced my leaf springs with Alcan springs. These are custom leaf springs. It lowered the truck and soften the ride at the same time. But it didn't deform or caused axle hop. The top of my tires (stock Bridgestone) is even with the top of the frame now. The only thing that I'll add is the Firestone Airbags for heavy loads.

You may also try rear flip kits.
Hello Art,

I have the PRG springs, but think maybe the Alcans may be better? The PRG's raised the rear about an inch or so. do they reduce the payload capacity?

Do the Alcans reduce any of the "tuning fork" jittery feeling? That's my biggest beef. If so, what does one actually order from Alcan (part numbers, etc.)?

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
313 Posts
I run the 57 Deaver pack. I gave up towing when my mileage ran about 5-6mpg when towing what I planned on towing. Anyways, the Deavers are smooth and soft and consist of 11 leaf springs in the pack. If ordered from Deaver, they come with a 2" shackle from Camburg or Total Chaos...I can't remember. You can order springs from Alcan, PRG, or Deaver. I only have experience with Deaver, though. I know with Deaver, you can tell them exactly what you need...height, towing abaility, softnesss, and the like. I am sure you could with the other companies if they are the spring manufacturer. Not so much, if they just sell them.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Hello Art,

I have the PRG springs, but think maybe the Alcans may be better? The PRG's raised the rear about an inch or so. do they reduce the payload capacity?

Do the Alcans reduce any of the "tuning fork" jittery feeling? That's my biggest beef. If so, what does one actually order from Alcan (part numbers, etc.)?

Thanks.

Mark
The Alcan springs are actually set of springs. I believe they're 7 or 9 thin leaves. No part numbers for these springs as they are all custom made in accordance to the customer's specs. So if you want it for comfort let Tom know. Of course, they'll need the year, model, make of truck, etc. And if you have a camper shell, tool box, etc that add weight to the stock truck, they need to know that too.

The springs I spec'ed is for comfort. They're soft and very compliant. The springs also lowered the rear of the truck. Rides smooth, no jitters. I just need to install the Firestone air bags for heavy loads.

Tom is the guy that takes the orders. I gave them one side of stock leaf springs on 07 Tundra RCSB. They didn't have any info before and screwed up my first order. But all is good now.

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
Alcan is coming out with the MP4, this is a 3 leaf spring pack replacement that is spec'd for this truck.

I believe they will be a couple bucks less than the deaver pack and it makes it a progressive pack.

You will still be able to have plenty of weight in the truck with these, like 1100lbs after the axle and on the tailgate without bottoming out, kind of weight. Trust me, I know!

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Art,

These custom springs are in what price range? Just curious
Looking at my receipt here, the springs cost $480.00 for complete set. I also ordered 4 U-bolts for a total of $24.00 and shipping (UPS) cost me $72.00. Overall total came to $576.00. Took 3 weeks before I got the order. Hopefully, it won't take them that long this time. According to Imdone, Alcan is also coming out with mini-pack. Replaces the overload springs. But I'm not sure if it will add height to the rear.

Give them a call.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try replacing your shocks with softer ones first. It may be cheaper than replacing your leaf packs.
I would not recommend this. Firm springs combined with soft shocks will make the ride even more jittery. Filthymotorsports has good videos explaining this and why we should talk to him first before dumping money on upgrades like this. We could really F#%$ up the ride. I will add the Deaver springs soon. They have many options available. The two I am considering are medium duty (softer than stock) and light duty (no payload racing) available. The light duty springs could be used with air bags for load requirements.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts