Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Canadian prices and mpg rating

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Zhirik 
#1 ·
Below is a picture of the actual toyota window sticker from my 2007 dc limited with 5.7 engine.Compare features and prices,but take note of the mileage ratings.When you convert to U.S.mpg,the numbers do not match the EPA rating.A recent 600 mile trip,begun with only 200km on the odometer returned 21mpg(imperial) at 70-75mph,so with a well broken in engine at lower speeds,the 24mpg(imperial) rating may very well be possible.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thats because the truck _IS NOT_ tested by the EPA when in Canada... rather, we have an agency called Transport Canada which _assigns_ the ratings. Look at the window sticker, you'll see who the rating agency is, its not EPA.
My point being that the transport Canada ratings do not match the EPA ratings when you convert miles per U.S. to miles per imperial gallon.I have found the transport Canada ratings to be very accurate in the past,more accurate than the EPA ratings.

#5 ·
Interesting...when you price out your sticker on the web today the base MSRP is up $1500 more than yours....but the C pak is $1500 less, for an overall same price. I've been driving a 5.7 DC 4x4 longbox for a week as a rental for work...put on about 500 km driving out to site, around site and back...all being a good boy following the speed limit. I've averaged 13.8 L/100 km....only about 1.4 L/100 km more than my 03 V8 4Runner...not bad.

#6 ·
My point being that the transport Canada ratings do not match the EPA ratings when you convert miles per U.S. to miles per imperial gallon.I have found the transport Canada ratings to be very accurate in the past,more accurate than the EPA ratings.
Well I find the Transport Canada ratings to be unaccurate:rolleyes: My 05 Tundra 4x4 was rated at 18 city and 23 highway. Best I can get or have ever gotten is about 14 city and 20 highway, imperial gallons, minus about 3 mpg less in winter time and I get these figures by driving like a granny. I don't know HOW they come up with their figures, there is NO WAY my truck will get 18 in the city, not unless I could drive it at 60 KMS continous without stopping. I have about 26,000 kms on the clock and have seen very little improvement in mileage so so don't hold your breath for a miraculous increase in mileage after breakin.:rolleyes:

#8 ·
I've posted these numbers before but a refresh may help explain the difference:
American Gallon = 3.78 liters
Canadian Gallon = 4.54 liters

24 MPG in Canadian mileage = 19.98 MPG in American mileage

So, where does the extra 2MPG (for American mileage) come from? As posted here, the standards for testing are completely different in Canada than in the U.S.

Keep in mind as well that real-world numbers for Canadian driving will be better than in the U.S. simply because most roads in Canada don't allow you to go faster than 100km/hr (~62mph) with many still at 90km/hr (~56mph). Even though highway speeds here in the U.S. are 65mph, most people are driving between 75 and 80...

Hope that helps! :D:D

#9 ·
Keep in mind as well that real-world numbers for Canadian driving will be better than in the U.S. simply because most roads in Canada don't allow you to go faster than 100km/hr (~62mph) with many still at 90km/hr (~56mph). Even though highway speeds here in the U.S. are 65mph, most people are driving between 75 and 80
If you think that we drive slower in Canada,you couldn't be more wrong.If you drive 70mph where I live,you will quickly get used to being passed on a regular basis.

#10 ·
If you think that we drive slower in Canada,you couldn't be more wrong.If you drive 70mph where I live,you will quickly get used to being passed on a regular basis.
Just fyi, I grew up in Canada and spent most of my life there... unless you're in the Toronto area on the 401, you're going to get nabbed pretty quick doing 70mph. Even doing the most borring stretch from on the Trans Canada highway from Regina to Calgary where you could tie your steering wheel down and sleep in the back seat while on cruise-control, cops are sitting in the middle of nowhere ready to bust your butt.

I'm not saying that you're lying, but the vast majority of driving in Canada is drives under 70mph. Here in the U.S., that is more the exception than the rule... (of course traffic is more a limiting factor here anyway). :D

#11 ·
Just fyi, I grew up in Canada and spent most of my life there... unless you're in the Toronto area on the 401, you're going to get nabbed pretty quick doing 70mph. Even doing the most borring stretch from on the Trans Canada highway from Regina to Calgary where you could tie your steering wheel down and sleep in the back seat while on cruise-control, cops are sitting in the middle of nowhere ready to bust your butt.

I'm not saying that you're lying, but the vast majority of driving in Canada is drives under 70mph. Here in the U.S., that is more the exception than the rule... (of course traffic is more a limiting factor here anyway). :D
Awesome...check out where stubble (and I live). Up here going to work the slow lane does 110 kph while the fast lane does 130+. Going south to Edm on hwy 63 I've been passed by a Greyhound bus when I was going 120 because I was going too slow....I swear I've seen guy passing on the RIGHT hand side at 140+ with bumper to bumper traffic. Until recently the first 2.5 hrs south of here have been a no-mans land for cops....I've passed cops sitting on the side of the road with their radar doing 125 and they didn't even blink....they were waiting for some bozo in a Mustang who would be doing 150+. Thankfully they are starting to patrol the road

#12 ·
ust fyi, I grew up in Canada and spent most of my life there... unless you're in the Toronto area on the 401, you're going to get nabbed pretty quick doing 70mph. Even doing the most borring stretch from on the Trans Canada highway from Regina to Calgary where you could tie your steering wheel down and sleep in the back seat while on cruise-control, cops are sitting in the middle of nowhere ready to bust your butt.

Obviously you have never driven around Fort Mcmurray.:D

#13 ·
Awesome...check out where stubble (and I live). Up here going to work the slow lane does 110 kph while the fast lane does 130+. Going south to Edm on hwy 63 I've been passed by a Greyhound bus when I was going 120 because I was going too slow....I swear I've seen guy passing on the RIGHT hand side at 140+ with bumper to bumper traffic. Until recently the first 2.5 hrs south of here have been a no-mans land for cops....I've passed cops sitting on the side of the road with their radar doing 125 and they didn't even blink....they were waiting for some bozo in a Mustang who would be doing 150+. Thankfully they are starting to patrol the road

I've driven the highway from Fort Mac to Edmonton as well and you are right! If you're doing 120, you'll be passed like you are standing still.:eek:

#15 ·
75 mph is approx. 120 Km/h. Plenty of 4 lane Canadian highways where you can do that speed w/o a ticket.

FYI - Anyone else notice that most of the Cdn posts here are by Albertan's?
we are making all of the money to buy da toys :D
Just got speeding ticket on the no men's HW during the night .Mostly interesting part-cop were driving towards me.It looked like a scene from the movie with turning arround and sh..t

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.