Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been brought up before but I am having a really tough time choosing between the SR5/Limited models...

If I were to go with the SR5 and get the upgraded power seats...it adds the trip/mpg/etc computer correct? But it doesn't upgrade to the limited gagues?

Can the Limited power folding mirrors be added later (is the wiring in place)?

The cost difference I have seen is approx $4500 (with the options I added to the SR5).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, could someone post some pictures of their SR5 gagues please (light up and during the day). Thank you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went thru the same decsion process and ordered the Limited over SR5. Depending on how many options you want when you load up the SR5 it can drive the decision toward the Limited. For me, the cost difference was ~3K and I ended up getting a lot more with the limited as "standard" equipment.

The limited I bought I am only getting Sunroof, TRD Package, Daytime Running, Cold Kit, Mud Guards. No other dealer or Port add-ons. For example the TRD package is only $105 on the limited.

When you start adding to the SR5 - Leather, JBL sound, power tilt, auto dimming/homelink, chrome retract mirrors ,deck rail, 18" alloys, etc...the price climbs sharply. If these options are not important to you get the SR-5 otherwise you have to make the best value decsion.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a little confused,you say your undecided yet it says you have a limited on order.:D
Paperwork has been done...dealer says it goes into the computer Monday morning...I can make any changes until that time :rolleyes:

·
Registered
877 Posts
this will be my route, i will by the SR5, spend $1000 for leather, and invest $500 into radio.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I went with the SR5 with the leather upgrade. It does not have the heat like a Limited, but I rarely need a heated seat where I live and work.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Only thing I noticed when I was looking this weekend was the limited had power folding mirrors and had some extra stuff in the gauge cluster. I drove the SR5 so I didn't get to look at the features in the gauge cluster very well.

As for the mirrors I don't know, but I'm getting mine with tow mirrors (only like $70 extra :tu: ).

Off the top of my head, I would order my SR5 with the Nav ($2800), aftermarket leather ($1500), and TRD ($1400).

With the limited the options were cheaper, the nav was $1600, and TRD was $105 and the leather was included. But the nav being cheaper doesn't really matter because I would order either truck with the Jbl and that's what made it cheaper since the limited comes with the Jbl system.

BUT even then optioned the same except being a limited the truck still cost a little over $3,000 more!

To me, and this is just being me, I didn't see where that extra $3,000 went :confused: .

Maybe someone can explain it so I'd know :confused: ? I'm confused about this too.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Im in the same boat. I would would like to get limited but also like the sr5 for the price. After setting up options it look to be about a 3k difference. That is about 60 bucks extra a month.

Im not a big leather fan as I have never had it but it may be nice just to get it all at once. Will have to see after the my dealer has the ride and drive. I hope they do it soon as right now they are all out of tundras. Only have one 2006 left on the lot.

·
Registered
832 Posts
When I say aftermarket leather, they install the leather at the port so it comes that way to the dealer. In my opinion the limited factory leather was more moist and soft than the aftermarket leather but not enough to complain about.

Heh, I'm also going to shave all the trim off the truck so it wouldn't have SR5 or Limited badging on it anyway... Just thought of that.

So besides the front bumper you wouldn't be able to tell which model it was anyway... Including the fact I'll get it with tow mirrors.

Just bouncing ideas, I don't know the differences other than what I've listed.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I went through the same number-crunching. If you really put everything you can put on an SR-5 to equal a limited level of options, even the small stuff (homelink mirror, sliding rear window, etc.), it's a bit less of a difference than 3k, but there is still a premium.

In my case, there were actually a few of those options I didn't want, so I was planning on going for "loaded" SR-5. So, it looks like I'll be getting a limited... What?

Well, it ended up being a situation where I could find "stripped" limiteds in inventory and get a couple of dealers trying to get my business bidding on a specific truck. As a result, I think I have a better deal than I could have gotten with an SR-5 with a bunch of factory and port options, which would have to be carefully ordered from a single dealer.

Also, I liked the red rock interior, which seems to be a limited-only thing at the moment.

But, agreeded, it appears what you get with the limited only is red rock interior (if you want it), chrome on mirrors and door handles, power folding mirrors, more power adjustments on the seats, heated seats, fancy gauge lighting, special grille bars and front bumper. This does not seem to rate the list price differencial. Maybe something to give dealers more room to deal?

·
Registered
67 Posts
As a newbie I have a stupid question to ask. What port???? I thought these trucks were MFG here in TX and indiana, so why would they be at a port and getting more options put on them there rather than at the factory getting the options requested?

Also is this port installed leather thats being discussed here available on the SR5's with the bench seats. I would like to have a LTD but I really do not care for the floor shiffter at all. Plus I would like to have the option of the extra seat when needed.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You can't opt for leather in an SR5 so they install it at the "port" aftermarket... Don't know what that means, i guess they come down the mississippi to the Port of Houston... They also install step plates and some other crap there.

You'd have to check with your dealer to see if it is even available.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You can't opt for leather in an SR5 so they install it at the "port" aftermarket... Don't know what that means, i guess they come down the mississippi to the Port of Houston... They also install step plates and some other crap there.

You'd have to check with your dealer to see if it is even available.
It's old terms that they still use from many years of shipping cars over from Japan. "port" and "at-sea" are still status terms that don't really relate to a US made vehicle, but hey, whatever.

The "port" is a distributor location where options that are not factory installed, but instead installed by the distributor (like SR-5 leather seats), are put in. I believe for my region it is Jacksonville, FL, but not really sure any more. For the SE, I believe it is near or at a real shipping (boats) port, and the US vehicles are processed along with the actual Japanese ones.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This was a major dilemma for me as well. I wanted an SR5 5.7 CM w/ TRD, but couldn't get one. A lightly optioned Limited w/ TRD was almost $6,000 more than the well-optioned SR5 that I wanted to order. In my view, the additional fluff and leather on the Limited was not worth $6k. I ended up getting the Limited because I didn't want to wait any longer and my dealer gave me a reasonably good deal ($1,000 over invoice) because he couldn't get me the SR5 I wanted.

Now that I already wrote the check (sunk cost), I'm glad to have the Limited. In fact, its funny that the one thing I love on the Limited is something I never would have ordered: Power folding side mirrors. The truck barely fits in my garage and I actually use this option.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy your truck as much as I do mine. :tu:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to thank everyone for their comments - it looks like I am going to stick with the Limited model.

I really like the POWER folding mirrors and the Optitron gagues. Also the leather is a little more comfortable than the cloth seating and when upgrading the SR5 with everything including the leather I'm right back where I started (almost).

Order processes today! :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wanted the leather to but i have kids so i am going to get wet okole seat covers instead,they look great especially the piped ones and they are waterproof and are made perfectly to fit specific vehicle seats.Alot cheaper to.I also am planning to get a black 5.7 4x4 crewmax SR5 with the off road package,mud guards,black bed extender,bedliner w deck rails,sill protector,seat back storage,security 3200 plus,front and rear sonar,TRD intake,spintech exhaust,bakflip bed cover,extended warranty,paint sealant,and maybe a dent and scratch coverage.Last i would probably get some gloss black and chrome or machined finish combo wheels with some off road tires.Oh yeah i'm going to try and request to get the match colored resin front bumper instead of the chrome.Also when available im going to get chrome door handles so it will eventually look like the limited besides the chrome side view mirrors which i dont really care for.LOL oh yeah and a aftermarket grill.OH yeah and a aftermarket DVD player top mounted from best buy with extended warranty,still comes out cheaper than the option dvd player from the dealer.The monitor is also 15" big and comes with 2 wireless headphones.Well that should complete my Tundra.OH YEAH!!!LOL some gloss black tint 5% on the back windows and 35% in the front to stay legal in hawaii.Maybe a strip on the top front window to_OK now that should complete my tundra.LOL:tu:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts