Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'04 Tundra has code 33 RR speed sensor malfunction code. I broke the sensor trying to get it out to check it for debris. I replaced the sensor, but can't clear the code with the jumper/hit the brakes 8 times or using hand held reader. Any ideas?

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
Have you tried the old dis-connect the battery for a while trick?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Check ALL of the connections, it is possible that the original code was not a bad sensor. Was there anything on the sensor when you got it out?

Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a wiring diagram online and checked continuity from the sensor connector to the anti skid ECU -- no signal. Disconnected the 4 wire connector where the RR and LR come together and from there to the ECU is good. Therefore, bad wire between 4-wire connector and the sensor connector. There were no indications of kinks along its length, so I gave the sensor connector a tug and it popped off and the wires were black with tarnish. I thought I could splice in new wires, but they are so fine I can't even strip them. I guess I need to replace the wiring harness from the RR and LR to that first connector. Is there a part number to even search for such a thing? As for the original sensor, It was probably okay. I had to use a small chisel to get below the o-ring and then it came out with a little prying. There were some rust flakes on the sensor magnet end, so I can't say for sure if that was it and I broke the wires in the connector monkeying with it or it was broken wires all along. The moral of the story is to check resistance from the ECU connector before messing with the sensor. By the way, unplugging the battery only clears the check engine light codes, not the ABS codes.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would either repair the harness you have or hit a junkyard and find the harness. Through a dealer I would bet it would be about impossible to find and expensive if the do find (the right) one.

Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My local dealer matched the price I found online, so a new one will cost $74 and I'll have it in a couple days. Based on what I've seen so far with the wire, I'll pay the extra for a new one over used. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem after doing upper and lower ball joints. I had to re-seat the sensor and push it in very hard then screw it down tight. Fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got an 05 tundra had a constant Abs light on. Could not erase the code by jumping the two wires and hitting the brake trick. I got a code 34
replaced the sensor and still had the code. i unplugged the 4 prong connector by the fuel tank and tested .for continuity on the axel side and had no continuity on the left rear. I tracked it down to a support bracket closest to the sensor where the wire looked thinner then the rest. I cut it open and sure enough the wires were severed.i spliced them back together and turned on the truck. light went out right away. Hope this helps anyone with the same code 34.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
You're a GD genius JB. You just joined but had the smarts and helpfulness to find an existing thread and add in your experiences that might help someone else down the road. Too many times people join this site, or similar, start a new thread rather than looking for an existing one, then never come back to say what the solution to their problem was. Kind of ironic when you consider this site is called Tundra "Solutions". Nice work and welcome to the site.

Reactions: LGL002
1 - 10 of 10 Posts