Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in the process of lifted my dc and i am thought that i had everything figured out and ready to order but before i hit the order button for my rims and tires i got a little voice saying get 18 or 19 you know you want them. i was going to get 285/75/16 but i am leaning towards the 285/75/18. i am so confused :confused:. i have been going back n forth between rims and tires and sizes for a week this sucks lol. i know i wane the series 7089 by procomp.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i would have to say 18's or even 17's....tires are going to be more the higher rims size you go up.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Bigger rims=more rotating weight=slower truck. Also, you said 285/75/18 which is a 35'' as opposed to 285/75/16 which is a 33''. You got me feeling:confuseda:

·
2,445 Posts
If you want it to be a street ride... larger wheels may be fine... but like stated the tires will be more expensive. The smaller the side wall the less "roll" on the tire when cornering.

If you go off-roading you will probably want more rubber side wall for a better ride over that type of terrain.

It is kind of a "what do you use the truck for" question. Personally I don't like larger wheels. JMHO. I have 17s, they came with the truck. I would have been fine with 16s.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
from what i have seen, it's not always true that with bigger diameter rims that the tires to fit them cost more. depends on what type and which tire manufacturer you choose to go with. i've been looking at some 20" tires over the past week or so to go on some 20" rims i acquired and i have found several brands that cost considerably less than the 17" michelins i am currently running. do your homework. now is a good time to buy tires. they are always on sale somewhere and all you have to do is ask for a price match for the lowest price you find and more than likely you'll get it.

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
from what i have seen, it's not always true that with bigger diameter rims that the tires to fit them cost more. depends on what type and which tire manufacturer you choose to go with. i've been looking at some 20" tires over the past week or so to go on some 20" rims i acquired and i have found several brands that cost considerably less than the 17" michelins i am currently running. do your homework. now is a good time to buy tires. they are always on sale somewhere and all you have to do is ask for a price match for the lowest price you find and more than likely you'll get it.

You can find quite a few tires less than any size michelins, but if you compare the same michelins in a 20 you will see how much they are, just saying you're not comparing apples to apples.

As for what size to go with it is a matter of what you want and what look you want. But before you decide on 18 or 19" wheels do a comparison on the prices of the tires you plan to run in that wheel size and compare it to the prices of a 16 or 20" tire in the same type and overall diameter. The reason I say this is for 2 reason's , 1) 18 and 19" aren't as popular as 16,17, and 20" tires, or at least not where I live. I sell tires and got a set of decent 18" wheels for free but couldn't find a decent price on any tires that I wanted to run in that size. 2) If you do fork over the change for an 18 or 19" set of tires really think about what they cost. If you ever have a blow out or something where you will have to replace one, make sure the tires you get aren't some cheap brand that they have to order and can't get for you when you need it. Do what you want, but a good all terrian or mudd tire in a 20" wheel size looks just as good as an 18 or 19 and 9 out 10 times it will be cheaper too.

Also for all of the members on this forum who read this, if you guys ever need a price on tires I can give you a basic cost on just about any size and brand. I say a basic cost because not all dealers get the same cost as others. If Joe buys 100 tires a month from a certain place and John buys 1000 from the same place, naturally John's cost will be less. But at least I can give everyone some sort of ballpark that way you don't get the screws put to you. I'm offering this because a customer came in yesterday and wanted a price on some 35x12.50r20 Dick Cepek FC-2. The guy is a friend of my father in law and his first go around he bought those tires from the place down the road. He paid $575 a tire from that place, my cost on that same tire is right around $350. On something like that I would try to make $30-40 a tire not $225, giving we specialize in commercial and industrial tire sales so we don't have a huge customer base that comes in looking for these types of tires. Who knows we could be leaving money on the table? Anyway I'm just trying to help the same people who help me, just feel free to ask, you never know it might be cheaper to by tires through me and pay the shipping than buy them from your local guy???

·
2,445 Posts
your tire installer is the best in the country if they can mount 17" tires on an 18" wheel
:lol: Haven't you ever heard of the tire stretcher... they sell those right next to the board stretchers.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
You can find quite a few tires less than any size michelins, but if you compare the same michelins in a 20 you will see how much they are, just saying you're not comparing apples to apples.

you are correct sir! i am not comparing apples to apples. that is quite boring, to say the least. :D

i may have to take you up on that offer to ship some tires up to me in tn. that is a very generous offer. thanks!

·
2,445 Posts
sorry its a 17x8 what with the hostlility typo.:behindsofa:
Is someone on the sensitive side?

We were totally playing around. No harm or hostility meant and sorry if you took it that way.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
sorry its a 17x8 what with the hostlility typo.:behindsofa:
You will have to submit a "Hurt Feelings Report" to the moderator staff.

:lol:

If you're going offroad, I've seen 35" tires on 20" wheels work...but you can't really air down much, and you're much more likely to lose a bead doing the sort of stupid stuff that I know you're gonna do, because most of the rest of us do it too :heh:.

So if that's the case, get 16" wheels and as much rubber as you can fit. Also keep in mind that the really big desert tires use an 80% aspect ratio, which is an even taller sidewall compared to the section width than the 265/70/16 tires the stock truck uses. Low profile is for the highway. I'd trust BFG's lead with a 315/80/17 tire, and stick to high aspect ratios if you're going offroad.

That's just my opinion, tho. Lower aspect ratios will give you better handling, to a point. Personally, I haven't had a problem with 315/75/16 at 70mph on a sandy doubletrack with a GVW around 6500#, so I wouldn't sweat a low aspect ratio as far as control is concerned.

If this is mostly a street truck, get whatever you think looks best.

-Sean

1 - 19 of 19 Posts