Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 SR5 Access Cab, with Leer Camper Shell...
110,000 miles
I carry some tools around with me...

New O2 sensors (the header ones) and new PCV valve and grommet...
New plugs and newish air filter...
Mobil 1 10w-30 oil and filter
Nothing will help me get over the 13mpg hump...
I don't drive it hard, don't stomp on it, etc...

I do have: Worn 265/70-16 tires...the ticking headers too...

Any suggestions on what to do other than give up?
Man it hurts to fill up with 23 gallons and only get 280 miles on a tank...

I can get about 17.5 mpg if I stay on the highway though...is this just what the truck will do?

Any suggestions on new tires (which I need) that might help? Saw that the General HTS had the LRR feature..

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Basically what was recommended. A front end alignment will help some too.
If you drive in mainly city traffic like I do you'll be hard pressed to get above
what you say you're getting. Keep in mind your stop and go traffic may be
different than others.

Maybe changing to 5W30 would help some. That's all I've ever used and made
the change over to synthetic at about 100K with no problems. Throttle body
cleaning also comes to mind as well as air filter changes.

Avoid excessive idling when possible such as in a drive thru. The only time I
go through one is if I have my kids with me, otherwise I park and turn the truck
off and go inside. When starting it up on a cold start you only have to let it
run enough to get the fluids flowing, about one minute tops.

Other than that, buy a Prius :D.

John

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
What about the rear end gear ratio? Or the transmission shift points? Wouldn't a slowly shifting tranny waste fuel?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sounds pretty much normal. My 00 get 13-15 city, winter is 11-13. I can get 19 on hwy under perfect conditions but usually 18. These trucks are just gas hogs in the city. Better tires might help a little.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd recommend the 5W-30 as well. Seems like mileage varies from Truck to Truck. Mine does much better but I do very little stop and go. Know of my Uncles' Ford Escape 4-cyl 2WD that has gotten horrendous(12-16mpg) mileage for all 6 of it's years in service. Several technicians failed to find anything wrong with the vehicle. Meanwhile, a Cousin with the same model 4WD was getting 24mpg. I thought about brakes dragging or improper timing.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I agree with being able to get some decent mileage on the highway. I went to
Toronto this past weekend and at about the 400 mile mark refueled. I
figured it out and got about 18.5 MPG. That's with the cruise set at 68 MPH.

John

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
full syn fluids everywhere, fresh tune up, over inflated tires, and stop driving it like you stole it will get your best mileage. its not worth the extra 1-2 mpg when you add up the cost. keep on truckin!
Lower your expectations. That doesn't sound too bad considering you have a topper and carry tools around.
I have to agree with comments here. I try to help members with mods and ideas to improve their First Gen Tundra, but, I am not the guy that can help folks with MPG. I always say, why buy a V8 truck and try to get top mileage. I know the newer models are better on gas, but, a First Gen Tundra is what it is. Wish I could help, but, I just do not worry about mileage. I am trying to figure out how to get more HP than MPG.

I do not fault you for trying though as gas can be expensive. Maybe a Taco V6 or a smaller truck is a better idea. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Drive slow and keep up on maintenance. That's about it.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
Previous posters have hit it correctly. Your shell is probably the largest contributing factor to your mileage.

You have covered pretty much all the mechanical issues to look for. You stated that your tires are "worn". Worn tires can make a substantial difference in fuel economy. However, what hasn't been mentioned is the brand/type of tire you're running...??

I would also switch to a recommended 5W-30 or 0W-30 synthetic motor oil.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ethanol is our enemy. If you can find real gasoline somewhere, the MPG will go back up to the 17MPG range again. It really is unfortunate isn't it?

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I'm not sure if any of the performance chips can actually improve you mpg as some claim or if its just a lot of hype. I'm assuming hype since I didn't see any posts where someone raved about any that would improve your gas mileage.

Here's a link to one that supposedly improves your gas mileage by 4-7 mpg.

TOYOTA TUNDRA G-Force Peformance Chip

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Hey to all, everyone has made great comments....I drive a 4wd DC (05) and had a Ext cab (00) before that. One thing that I will disagree with is that our trucks are not gas hogs, they are too small for the job application. We basically has 283 small blocks on 4700-5000 pound trucks and don't forget the 3.90-4.10 gears......higher rpms to get into the torque range.

The 5.7 (350) would do wonders in out trucks, but now you have to move to an 07 for that. My best friend has one, 4wd, Ext cab, 5.7. He gets 14-15 around town and 19 on the hiway...and his truck is much bigger/heavier. Sorry it's not an answer to help, maybe a little better understanding of what we have.....I'll keep mine. CSM-H

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Previous posters have hit it correctly. Your shell is probably the largest contributing factor to your mileage.
QUOTE]

I have a cab high shell and before it was installed I got 13-14 mpg.

After it was installed, I got 13-14 mpg. It only weighs approx 110 lbs.

*****Before I bought my Tundra, I researched them for almost 2 years. ***
I know 2 people who have them as well. One gets 16-17 mpg around town, and the other gets 15mpg around town. The one with then higher mpg has dual exhaust & synthetic fluids, the other is all stock. Both have stock size Michelins. Mine is all stock with Michelins and I am not getting the mileage they get.

My guess is 2 fold:

1. The Rear End Gear Ratio in mine is lower
2. The Shift points in the transmissions is different.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Try a can of BG44K and replace your PCV valve, clean your MAF sensot as well as your TB...

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, did you see my thread, hopefully you have a place near you.
good luck,
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
full her up with pure non ethanol gas, your MPG will rise 2 to 3 more MPG.
make sure you run her down ,where there is only 2 or 3 gallons left in your gas tank.
you will see a big difference. considering you are doing nothing but changing the gas.
gorilla

1 - 20 of 92 Posts