Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am SOOO frustrated and I haven't even had the pleasure of removing the shocks yet! EVERY SINGLE REPLACEMENT SHOCK I find at any auto parts store or online has a footnote that says it's NOT FOR AUTO LEVELING OR NOT FOR ELECTRONIC LEVELING. OK, so is there a REAR shock that IS for auto leveling a 2005 Sequoia Ltd? I have a Toyota mechanic willing to do the work, but I have to supply the shocks. We don't do much trailering so I just need something for a smooth ride for the soccer mom. We're going on a trip tomorrow and really needed to have this done, but no local auto parts stores have anything in stock. I guess we'll have to risk bouncing off the freeway with the old shocks. I searched the forum and all I can find are threads from years ago about beefing up the ride for hauling stuff. That's not what I need. Can anyone suggest what shocks will work on this vehicle?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just spoke with Ryan at Bilstein and he said these shocks could work if you disable the auto leveling. So for those that have the auto leveling and purchased the 4600's did you disable the auto leveling or leave it alone? Just trying to make sure before I purchase them

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The 4600 HD's are a direct replacement for the stock rear shocks. No need to disable the auto leveling suspension.

Just spoke with Ryan at Bilstein and he said these shocks could work if you disable the auto leveling. So for those that have the auto leveling and purchased the 4600's did you disable the auto leveling or leave it alone? Just trying to make sure before I purchase them

·
Registered
91 Posts
If that is the case then why would he say the aren't.

next question then what is the proper way to disable the auto leveling as we don't want or need it.

The 4600 HD's are a direct replacement for the stock rear shocks. No need to disable the auto leveling suspension.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I have the 4600´s on my 05 LTD with air suspension. Why would you disable the air suspension? What will hold the rear end up without springs and disabled air bags? Just put the 4600´s on and be done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just stumbled across this thread. Czechm8, were your oem shocks leaking in back? How many miles on them when you replaced with the 4600s?

Ride softer or firmer than stock?

I was under the impression (as was the OP) that nothing other than oem replacements would work on the rear of an air equipped Sequoia.

I have the 4600´s on my 05 LTD with air suspension. Why would you disable the air suspension? What will hold the rear end up without springs and disabled air bags? Just put the 4600´s on and be done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
My rears were not leaking. Had just over 100K miles on the stock shocks.
Ride seems a little smoother. Maybe a tad softer than stock.
4600's for sequoia are direct replacement for stock units.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks for the info!

My rears were not leaking. Had just over 100K miles on the stock shocks.
Ride seems a little smoother. Maybe a tad softer than stock.
4600's for sequoia are direct replacement for stock units.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks again czechm8, I ordered 4600s for front and rear on my 07 Sequoia Ltd 4WD today, they show "not for models with air suspension" on the rears, but knowing yours worked fine convinced me to pull the trigger;) - EDIT that these ended up NOT working, see below.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I have adjustable 5100's on the front. Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, mine is an '05 like the subject of this thread. You may want to double check your order. An '07 may be different.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes, she showed the same Fitment from 05-07, so I'm crossing my fingers. I didn't want the adjustable, so just went with 4600s all around.

I have adjustable 5100's on the front. Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, mine is an '05 like the subject of this thread. You may want to double check your order. An '07 may be different.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Shows the same part numbers, Fitment, and warning about electronic suspension between 05-07.

·
Registered
419 Posts
OK, so I put the 4600s on front and back. Front is fine, but the rears are WAY undershocked for the application, I hit the bump stops 4x on a 100 mile trip yesterday without even trying.

I called Bilstein this morning. The 4600 pn 24-185813 is NOT for use with rear adjustable air-bag suspension, and is only for use with models equipped with coil springs in the back. Yes, it physically fits. No, it does not have enough damping control to compensate for the lack of a coil spring back there. The resulting ride is super plush, yeah, but the first dip you hit on the road you'll likely be hitting the bump stops.

I've got OEM front and rear shocks ordered from my local dealer, and I will be replacing the Bilsteins later this week with them.

Bilstein Monotube Shock Absorbers and Struts for 2005 TOYOTA SEQUOIA | AJUSA.COM

Shows the same part numbers, Fitment, and warning about electronic suspension between 05-07.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts