Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Tundra CrewMax Limited 4x4, sunroof, nav., 5.7L, tow package, and sonar on 2/28. My dealer just called and it is due to arrive NEXT week! When I ordered my truck in Feb. I was told that if I ordered a 5.7L engine that I had to have the tow package back in Feb. I was just told that since then that the order configurations have changed from Toyota. Because of dealer and customer input that if your truck has the tow package that you CANNOT get sonar! Apparently the tow package and sonar was a problematic combination. Has anyone else run into this problem? I have rear sonar and a tow package currently on my Ford. I really had wanted the sonar for parking and putting it in my garage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know about the crewmax, but I ordered my DC FEB 16, it arrived last friday. My truck does have the sonar and the tow package. Honestly, in the last week I've played with the sonar a little bit, thats it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I drove a limited cm 5.7 w 2 wd, tow packabe, and sonar at dealer in Austin this week. I get the idea that the factory spits out trucks all w same options, then changes. Also, in Tx we are getting trucks from plant in San Ant. You may be receiving Indiana built models. We can't get nav system here yet.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I agree with Sequoia2003. You are probably being lied to (a salesman? No way).

I have both. 5.7L, 4x4, DC, LBed, SR5, Sonar, rear camera, tow pkg (automatically get this with the 5.7 and shouldn't be an extra-cost line item). The sonar and tow package seem to work great together. Make sure your dealer is talking about the true Toyota OEM front/rear sonar and not the GST distributor "trick" of adding an aftermarket rear-only sonar in a non-chrome bumper.

About the only thing I might think of that would cause any "concerns" might be the fact that when towing a trailer the sonar alerts you when you shift into reverse (Duh, there's a trailer back there). I don't consider this a bad thing at all; it's a complete non-issue and if the driver doesn't like the pleasant little beep it can even be turned off with the dash button.

I would suspect the root of your problem stems from the fact your dealer is in Texas and therefore under the thumb of Gulf States Toyota (GST). I live in Texas but cannot buy Toyotas in Texas because of GST forces aftermarket crap, warranties and undesired options down the buyer's throat in an effort to boost their profit margins at your expense. I feel bad for Texas Toyota dealers (er, kind of).

Call a dealer in CA, AZ, CO or NM and you'll probably get a truck with exactly what you want. It's really like there are two Toyota companies from a consumer's standpoint (three actually if you throw in Southeast Toyota).

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
They probably forgot to check that option when they ordered your truck, and now they are lying as a CYA.

I was scanning the Southeast region vehicles the other day and found plenty of 5.7s with sonar...not only that, the one that I test drove was a 5.7 CM with sonar! and since it had 5.7, it automatically had tow equipment. Oh, did I mention that I ordered a DC with Sonar and 5.7? I have the order sheet in front of me that has the options listed.

Tell them to go pound sand:mad:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I drove a limited cm 5.7 w 2 wd, tow packabe, and sonar at dealer in Austin this week. I get the idea that the factory spits out trucks all w same options, then changes. Also, in Tx we are getting trucks from plant in San Ant. You may be receiving Indiana built models. We can't get nav system here yet.
my truck was built in San Antonio and it has a nav. Perhaps your dealers are not getting the truck that have the navs option.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was told that the "standard order configerations" have changed since I ordered the truck. While you could get sonar and tow package together initially this apparently is no longer the case. This is because of "dealer and customer input" that the configerations have changed. The dealer said it is out of his hands and he can't change it. My tow mirrors were also deleted for the same reason. The dealer said he could remove the factory mirrors and install the tow mirrors at the dealership if I wanted. Right now I have a CM Ltd. with nav. system due next week so there is really nothing I can do.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Not saying you want to, but you could certainly refuse the vehicle as it was not the one you ordered....of course that would involve waiting awhile longer and also not really knowing whether you could get the vehicle with both options in your area....I would call another dealer and see what they have to say....

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
I was told that the "standard order configerations" have changed since I ordered the truck. While you could get sonar and tow package together initially this apparently is no longer the case. This is because of "dealer and customer input" that the configerations have changed. The dealer said it is out of his hands and he can't change it. My tow mirrors were also deleted for the same reason. The dealer said he could remove the factory mirrors and install the tow mirrors at the dealership if I wanted. Right now I have a CM Ltd. with nav. system due next week so there is really nothing I can do.
Tell him to rectify his cranial-rectal inversion disorder! I see vehicles in the Southeast that aren't due to hit the dealers' lots until late may that have the configurations. on yoter webite, I still have the ability to add the sonar to the 5.7 (tow included)

I can't help you on the mirror thing...:eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yup, they're giving you a line, I bought my Crew Max on Firday with Sonar and Tow. I don't see what problems it could cause while towing since you can simply turn it off or on.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
CrewMax San Antonio

I was under the impression that San Antonio would not be building any CrewMaxes until the Fall? Have they started making them?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Mine came from SA. All of the ones I've seen in OK and TX have been from SA so far. At least the ones with the sticker still in the rear window.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are there any dealers out there that can confirm that you currently can't order sonar with a tow package?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have both. 5.7L, 4x4, DC, LBed, SR5, Sonar, rear camera, tow pkg (automatically get this with the 5.7 and shouldn't be an extra-cost line item).

Are you saying the tow package automatically comes with the 5.7? Just wanted to clarify. The way I have been reading into it is yes it does. You can choose to get the Tow Mirrors or even the hitch itself, but everything else it included.

Reading through the brochure it appears the tow package is optional.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Are you saying the tow package automatically comes with the 5.7? Just wanted to clarify. The way I have been reading into it is yes it does. You can choose to get the Tow Mirrors or even the hitch itself, but everything else it included.

Reading through the brochure it appears the tow package is optional.
It is an option.... and they all come with it.

Jim

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I have been diligently looking for a DC, 5.7, TRD, 4x4, SB, JBL truck in the Southwest, and it seems that every 5.7 has both the Sonar and the Tow Package. If I am not mistaken, as the post above says, all the 5.7's come with the tow package included, but on the window stickers I have seen, they do list it separately.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts