Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im buying my fathers '03 Tundra Access Cab as soon as my 4Runner sells. He has a hard tonneau cover on it that I will have to sell. I will need a cap of some kind. I have 3 Labs that pretty much go everywhere with me. I want a cap that has windows or access for the dogs to stick their heads out the windows but wont allow them to jump up and get their paws on the outside of the cap. Like to hear and see some options or suggestions. The truck is very clean and sharp so I dont really want anything that is boxy looking or ugly. I've checked out lots of hard caps. I have also done a week of searches in the forums. I also looked at a few of the soft caps that when you roll up the side canvas the bars may act as the opening for the dogs to stick their head out and the added benefit of completely rolling up the cap when needed. Looking forward to feedback. Thanks, Dogg.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My father has a fiberglass cap on his 07 tundra. The windows can slide open for fresh air, but they are too small for a dog to fit through if they ripped the screens. Personally, I would feel more comfortable with my dogs in a fiberglass cap, especially in the case of an accident. It's not likely, but you never know.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi i had a 83 toyota pick up with a glastite topper on it. it had a sky light across the front 6"high X 4'long, the side's both had long window's. 1/2 of which slid open & had a screen on them. also the rear window was big with 2 locks, but that also opened. honestly it never leaked, faded, or cracked. i was very happey with it. & so were my pit's, dobie, & rottie.
i know have a ARE cap. not a topper or camper type on my 05, i would never put my dogs in this cap. no air. all it does is seal the cap flat, sort of. lS2 i think. i'd have to look, but it's not for a dog. the picture of my cap now, is in the thread double cab page 2. it will not work for you. please use another type. they will die if left in something like that.
especially if you close it. if open, great, but they might fall out. or the brackets will or could bend.
regards,
gorilla

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
My dog is little and rides in the truck but a cap is very useful. Only downside is some loss of visibility.
There is a nice one on craigslist albany going cheap. don't know if it is for your bed or not

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have three dogs a 25 lb a 92 lb and a 115lb.......I put them in the ARE topper with the back lid open .......I put stops on the pistons to keep it from closeing all the way and I open the side windows also........This has been great for me.....as I can park it where they can watch for me out the back....OH , they have been taught to not load or unload with out a command.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a 02 Tundra and I put a Lear camper shell on it and I like it a ton. My German Shepard goes with me a lot and he loves it. It has the sliding side windows and I open them for him. I took out the screens so he could stick his head out.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, for all of you out there that have dogs.
try not to keeep your dogs head outside the window for out the sheel topper.
the wind has been known to make dogs go blind.
they don't blink.
if you don't belive me, please ask you vet.
a short trip o.k., but long trips no good.
some dogs keep there head outside all the time.
which like i said can & does cause the dog to go blind.
please belive me.
this is no joke.
gorilla

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
hi, for all of you out there that have dogs.
try not to keeep your dogs head outside the window for out the sheel topper.
the wind has been known to make dogs go blind.
they don't blink.
if you don't belive me, please ask you vet.
a short trip o.k., but long trips no good.
some dogs keep there head outside all the time.
which like i said can & does cause the dog to go blind.
please belive me.
this is no joke.
gorilla
+2. Prolonged exposure to wind at highways speeds can cause chronic eye dryness, corneal abrasion from road debris, dirt, dust, etc, and can lead to cataracts in your pooches.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my old Ford pickup I had a standard fiberglass cap that had the sliding window and screens similar to what you guys are referring to. I cut the screens out so they could stick their heads out when they wanted. My dogs dont stick their heads out for the most part unless Im stopped. I havent ever heard of that before but it makes sense. I just like them to be able to stick their heads out for when I run in a store for a minute. I sold that and now I have a 4Runner with a power rear window that works great cause I can roll it up half way to limit them. But its tough with 3 big dogs in the back of it. Plus I want to be able to take them to the lake or beach and have them jump right in without slopping everything up. Cant take them in my 4Runner. Anyone looking for a '97 4Runner let me know. Its on ebay right now. Need to sell that so I can get my fathers truck. Thanks, John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts