Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else frustrated washing their 17" 5 spoke wheels? Those slots are impossible to get into with a truckwash brush or rag. Brake dust galore in unreachable spots. If I would have known, I would have upgraded the wheels to something easier to clean. I actually preferred the look of these wheels to the TRD 16". Arrrrgh.

To top things off, a bird crapped on my truck this morning, and I had to drive through a torn up road after armor alling the tires. Plus, now they're calling for rain this weekend. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
There's some good tire/wheel cleaners on the market where you first spray it on and let it sit, then wash after 5 mins or something. I will try to find out the exact name, but some friends of mine have reported good results.

I also hate birds. After washing my truck inside out, only to look above to a bird ruffling its feathers, knowing that means his bowls are stirring nicely. Too bad I don't have a gun or I'd shoot them for sure.

I gave up on that tire shine stuff a long time ago. It makes the tires on the truck look beautiful for the first day when you wash it, but after that they just attract so much more dust/dirt it's not even worth it for me. If I want to give people something to stare at on my truck, it would be a hooker flashing her boobs. :D

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
If yall are having trouble with tire-shine then try this. Either get some of Mequiars NXT tire "cleaner" or use a water based dressing like Armor All or Poorboys BnB. The tire cleaner gives tires a clean new look, but does not leave any sticky stuff to stick to. The water-based dressing will also not attract as much dust as some silicone based dressings.

As for your rim washing problem, next time you clean them, wax them with something. I like either Wheel Wax or Mothers SynWax. They make brake dust slide right off. Those spray on rise off wheel cleaners still require agitation on all wheels, if you just spray on and rinse off, they leave residue. You need to invest in a good wheel/tire brush and a spoke brush. Look for the closeout Meguiars brushes at BigLots. I bought every brush and cloth Meguiars makes the other day for less than $30. It was like 7-8 brushes and alot of microfiber.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I was rotating the tires yesterday and decided to detail them (and the wheel wells) thoroughly :) while I had access to everything. I've got a collection of brushes I use on tires and wheels, but for between the spokes, I use a spoke brush similar to this New England brush. Mine only tapers for about the last 25 percent toward the tip. IIRC, it's a Meguiars, but I haven't been able to track it down :( for you, even on the mfr's web site :eek:. I've actually got the New England one, but never have needed to break it out.

I now see several sites with an interesting Oxo spoke brush. I'm thinkin' the tip might be well suited to getting brake dust out of the recesses on the back side of the spokes. I used an ordinary parts brush, but felt I needed something better. If anyone with the Autoglym Hi-Tech wheel brush can address its suitability :td: :tu: for this area, I might consider it as well.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Two for the price of one :confused:? How many dryers do they think people have in a single household? :rolleyes: Oh--that's right. One's for the dryer, the other's for the spokes . . .

I couldn't tell if they're corrosion resistant and have protective end caps like the good ones designed for automotive use. If you get [one/them], let us know how well they work and whether they leave scratches. You can't beat the price (if they work).

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
They have auto spoke brushes available at target or such. I would try that before trying something made for dryer lint.:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts