Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting for my A.R.E tonneau cover to arrive and did not like the way the factory included light was placed; looked, or even type for $40. Figure I can get two LED’s and wiring for $30 and do it myself/make it look nicer.
Does anyone know if the wire path for the auto interior lights, or the cargo light extends to the bed, back of the cab, or even the tailgate? I do have the rear camera, so it may be within the connection right at the tailgate.

Turck is 3 weeks old; not looking to rip out head liners or any of that stuff hopefully…

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The wire you are looking for runs through the channel below the driver's side doors. The cargo light is a brown wire. If you remove the rear door step plate you can locate the wire there.
cargo light.pdf

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, I am hooking up some Recon bed lights, did the brown wire work for you? Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have an a.r.e shell and did not like the light option either. i also did not want it to be controlled from the cab of the truck. i went to a local auto parts store and bought a 55 watt driving light kit, the ones with the small oval lights, and mounted them above the rear window. i ran the wire back to the hatch and made all my connections in the left rear taillight hole. i ran a fused power cord, 8 gauge wire for added accessories later on, to the taillight hole and hooked it to a relay, i ran a ran wire to a hood pin witch, from a remote start kit, and mounted it right above the hatch catch on the left side. the reason i mounted the ground on a hood pin was so that when i opened the hatch the lights came on. on the power wire from the relay to the lights i placed a rocker switch so i could manually turn the lights off if it is daylight or the hatch will be open for an extended period of time. i am thinking of changing the switch to an on/off/on type switch and connecting the ground from the relay to it. one side would be constant and one would be switched. it would be the same setup as the switch in the cab just in the bed.

i will add photos tomorrow if i can figure that out ive been trying for some time now and have been very unsuccessful at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts