Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching the web and reading lots of useless posts, I thought I would try a post in this forum. I do not want an 8 1/2 foot wide car hauler due to the narrow roads I run (some of them are 16 feet wide with no center stripe and lots of Interstate construction zones). I also do not want some "no name" "cut rate" trailer from an Internet e'tailer. ;)

I don't have tow mirrors so, I'm curious how wide I can go and still see without the expense of upgraded mirrors. Initially, I'm looking at three brands: Pace American, Haulmark, and Wells Cargo (Universal bought Pace American and Haulmark so, I guess that's only two companies now).

The Haulmark Kodiak with tandem 7K axles is my basic benchmark right now. What options should I definitely add to the basic trailer? What is a waste of money? Do these brands offer tangible differences in lifespan, maintenance, or reliability? What is too long for a bumper hitch trailer (I want to keep the bed open)? I'm open to box lengths from 16' to 24' with an 18' or 20' being the main focus.

TIA,
Sid

·
Registered
513 Posts
what will you be using this trailer for? mine is 7 by 16, i can fit a lot of stuff in it, but i haul tools. duel 7K puts you at 14000 pounds total, that's a lot for a tundra without tow package or with. trailer should be matched to what you will use it for.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a Haulmark Car Hauler 20ft with 7k axles. When I could tow with my Tundra I would take it around town from time to time. You MUST get a weight distribution hitch. The trailer tows fine behind the truck and you can see around the corners OK.

Make sure you get lights for the inside of the trailer and an inverter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Depends on what you're using it for.

I have a 6x12 Interstate Pro Grade single axle with ramp. This is the top of the line for Interstate, so it has some nicer features. I can fit 4 dirt bikes and gear okay but that puts me close to the weight limit. Tows great so far, and being only 6' wide is easy to see around with non tow mirrors. I still want to get some tow mirrors though, it's just nicer as they're wider and taller as well to help see the trailer wheels. Next trailer will either be a 6x12/14 tandem or a 7x14 tandem. Tandem axles being key, and the 7' is taller so you can walk up right inside. I have to duck getting in or out through the back.

I bought this model because it has an integrated A frame tongue meaning the outside two frame rails are bent to form the hitch rather than an extra being welded on. Also comes with the RV side door, roof vent, LED lights, radial tires and spare, extra aluminum tread plate rock guards and a much better warranty, better interior sidewalls.

Couple things I would recommend:
Torsion(rubber) axles rather than leaf springs, smoother ride.
Radial tires, a lot come with bias ply tires.
Spare tire, not as common as I though.
LED lighting, less power and no burn outs.
Swivel jack, may have to add later. With most trailers, you can't lower your tailgate as it will hit the jack on the trailer.
Good rock guard, my trailer has 24" on the front and 6" down the sides of aluminum tread plate
RV door, instead of cam lock. Easier but may not be as secure, but makes it harder to get locked inside.
Ramp for dirt bikes, though I'm going to look at cargo doors as you have to be fairly level or the ramp won't touch the ground. Hard on the trailer.
Ceiling vent and side vents!

Also, if you want to add A/C or something that will have to be cut it, I'd get it done at the factory or order it other wise it won't be covered by the warranty.

This grade of Interstate also has a 5 year warranty on the body/frame/axles and lifetime on the roof.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm not an Interstate dealer or anything I just like my trailer. Next one I'm going to hard at Haulmark as they make some nice trailers too. Wells Cargo does as well, but they're more money.

Most 7x14 run two 5k axles and the GVWR is 7,000lbs which should easily stay in the range of the Tundra after adding up people and misc gear in the truck.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what will you be using this trailer for? mine is 7 by 16, i can fit a lot of stuff in it, but i haul tools. duel 7K puts you at 14000 pounds total, that's a lot for a tundra without tow package or with. trailer should be matched to what you will use it for.
My Tundra has the tow package (4.30 rear end and transmission oil cooler) so, I'm good for a little over 10K per the factory. I will be getting a heavier truck (2 1/2 ton Freightliner probably) for really heavy loads. Gun safes, ammunition and reloading components, and similar stuff add weight in a hurry. With the Firestone air bags and good trailer brakes, I should be safe to 10K give or take. I've done some heavy weight in a U-haul without trailer brakes so it's time to step up to something better and safer that won't push me down the mountain. I want a lot of floor space so I don't have to stack stuff so high and heavier axles and floors so I don't have to worry about breaking something on the road if I hit a pot hole or some road debris. Plus, heavier axles come with bigger tires and brakes which is a good thing in my book.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts