Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i want to get some new exhaust to make my truck sound better. I was going to go ahead and get the whole TRD cat-back system, but i got to thinking. It looks like the TRD system is just replacing my pipes with SS ones that are the same shape with a new mufler. Now wouldn't it be just as effective to buy a muffler by its self and have it put in. It would be alot cheaper. If anyone knows if the TRD or whatever system you have has pipes that are in some way better besides the muffler let me know. Which way should i go?

·
Registered
115 Posts
The entire stock exhaust system is SS.. starting from, and including the exhaust manifold ....on back. Much of the system is welded. The hangers are carbon steel. (They will rust) There are a couple of bolt up flanges but I think the options are limited. You need to crawl under the truck and have a look.

OR: Maybe I'm missing something. What is Cat-Back? :rolleyes: Regards: TacoGuy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cat back is replacing everything from the catalytic converter back to the tail pipe (excluding the catalytic converter). Basically the muffler and tail pipe.

The SS from the factory isn't the best SS alloy out there. It probably is made from one of the T400 alloys. I believe the TRD system also uses this low-grade alloy also but I could be wrong. Try to find a system that uses T304 SS alloy, I think Borla makes one. This is the stuff that will last

·
Registered
115 Posts
I thought that's what Cat-back meant but wasn't sure. :ts:

My '95 Taco V6 4X4 has the original exaust on it. (12 years,141,000 miles) I live in (salty) New England. The SS held up fine. HOWEVER: The "carbon steel" brackets, hangers, and flange bolts, pretty much disolved and I replaced them last month for the first time. The metric bolts holding the flanges together are slightly bigger than 3/8 Dia and the parts exposed to the air, (bolt head and nut) were completly disolved, allowing the flange gaskets to leak, and then blow out. One whack with a cold chisel and they fell out. New flange gaskets, bolts, and hangers and the system is tight and solid again. TacoGuy

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I priced the complete system, from the front of the Cat, back to the bumper at my Toyota dealer. It was "just" under $1,000.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i talked to the dealer here and the TRD cat-back system is like 580.00. But my question is, would it be better for sound or performce to get the TRD Cat-back or just a new muffler. I think that the muffler is the only thing that really changes so i was just going to replace that inless anyone saids that a cat-back system would some how be better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just went out and crawled under my '07 Taco V6 4X4 for a look. Mine is NOT a TRD. EACH exhaust manifold dumps straight down and back to it's own Catalytic Converter. From there, the pipe on the drivers side "crosses over" to the right side and dumps into a "Y" and into ONE pipe back to the rear through the ONE piece Pipe and Muffler.

From what I can see, it IS possable to "disconnect" the "Y" pipe and it's ONE muffler from the TWO Cats, and replace it with seperate "DUAL" Exhausts. I havn't looked at a TRD setup, but maybe that's what it is. If that's the case.. TRD being DUAL Exhausts... for $580. I might have to consider that myself. I'm sure you would get whacked for labor though. I don't see the swap taking any more than an hour and NO welding or cutting is required.

DUAL Exhausts would definately sound better than the stock "Two into One", wouldn't they?? :) :) TacoGuy

·
Registered
115 Posts
UPDATE: I just got back from my Dealer. My guess was WRONG. The TRD exhaust is NOT DUAL. It's identical to the Non TRD exhaust EXCEPT:

1. The TRD muffler has fewer baffles to make it a little throatier. The dealer claims maybe 10-12 HP increase. Cost: $520. + 2 1/2 hours labor. (I could do it in 1/2 hour lying on my back in the driveway.) :confused:

2. The TRD tailpipe has a SS "Tip". (bling factor)

Regards: TacoGuy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new here but thought I could help out. A T304 stainless system will be less likely to react to road salt/sand/calcium than a lower grade stainless or aluminized piping. tjc217 is absolutely right in his description of a cat back system - it should replace everything from the two bolt flange back to your tips. Just my opinion, but I like the look and sound of duals better.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
UPDATE 2: The Toyota TRD Cat-Back system for the Tundra IS T304 SS, according to the Toyota spec/parts sheet. The Tundra setup by the way, is TWO into ONE (muffler) into TWO pipes at the rear. MSRP is $899/950. TacoGuy

·
Registered
447 Posts
i you are just wanting something that is loud, buy whatever muffler you want, and get a shop to weld it in in place of the stock muffler(cheapest way to go), and it will be just like a catback from magnaflow or borla(minus the stainless steel). however, i highly doubt any kind of catback is going to give you 10 to 15 horses! they are mostly for sound and an insignificant increase in performance. i put a flowmaster 40 on my 06 prerunner, and ran duals out the back, and it doesnt have that raspy sound that you tend to have when u just have a muffler installed in place of the stock one! hope this helps!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the gibson stainless cat back and like it a lot. If I was to do it again, I would save a bunch of cash and just replace the muffler with a borla muffler. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts