Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light is on, the dealer said I need a new catalytic converter. My tundra is the V6 model with 150,000 miles. They said it could cost up towards $3000, which seems insane. I love this truck, but it's value is only about $3000 at this point. I've never had any issues, other than brakes, and with the low miles, I feel like I could get another 150,000 miles. Wife thinks I should trade it in.

Does the $3000 repair sound reasonable? What would you guys to in a situation like this. I really don't want another vehicle, and as I said I think I can get a lot more miles from this baby. But the cost of repair equals the value.

Thanks!

·
Registered
305 Posts
From a dealer that's probably a fair price considering they use factory parts.

Aftermarket parts will run you about a $1000 probably another 500ish in labor.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I just saw a thread on here where a guy actually washed it. I thought it was a joke so I read through it. Something about soaking it with citric acid and baking it on the bbq and apparently it worked. I just did a quick search and cant find it right now but I know its out there. If you can find that thread and follow those directions I would go that route.

Bam, just found it.

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Registered
8 Posts
My check engine light is on, the dealer said I need a new catalytic converter. My tundra is the V6 model with 150,000 miles. They said it could cost up towards $3000, which seems insane. I love this truck, but it's value is only about $3000 at this point. I've never had any issues, other than brakes, and with the low miles, I feel like I could get another 150,000 miles. Wife thinks I should trade it in.

Does the $3000 repair sound reasonable? What would you guys to in a situation like this. I really don't want another vehicle, and as I said I think I can get a lot more miles from this baby. But the cost of repair equals the value.

Thanks!
I'd suggest that you don't need a factory replacement, nor even a new after-market solution. Granted, if you've taken good care of your 'Yota, you can reasonably expect to get more than another 150K miles (I currently have over 350K on mine and its running strong (knocking on wood)). You should be able to locate a junkyard that has a used Tundra converter. Replacing them is certainly easy enough, but for the money you'll save vs. buying new, you could have someone install it for you. GOOD LUCK!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts