Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After deducing that the code that keeps lighting up my CEL is probably the fuel filler tube problem that is so common in the 03 models, I decided to ignore the light until the weather cools off. So after many days of driving with the CEL illuminated, it suddenly turns off. Is there something in the electronics that will turn off the CEL after a number of hours? And if the CEL comes back on, should I assume it is the same code or will it be something new?
I hate idiot lights! :td:

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Yes. They work in "driving cycles". It will recognize and store a code, but won't turn the CEL on or off until it sees a pattern. I'm not sure exactly how many starts and stops constitutes a "driving cycle". The only way to know if it's the same code or not, is to get it scanned. I wouldn't sweat it, as long as it stays off.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
how many miles you got? it may be a "maintenance" light. my wife's camry at 120200 lit the light just as i went to smog it. i disconnected the battery and took it back and it passed. no codes stored......

or get a scanner and see what the codes are.

·
Registered
300 Posts
^^^ You can't do that if you cleared a code that needs the drive cycle to ready the monitor. The cycles are complex for the early Tundras.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. With deer season coming and fall surf fishing getting ready to pick up, it might be February before I finally get around to replacing that filler pipe!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
^^^ You can't do that if you cleared a code that needs the drive cycle to ready the monitor. The cycles are complex for the early Tundras.
just was looking to buy a tundra like this. the codes were recently cleared then they tried to inspect it but it failed because the sensors were not ready to be read. it takes about 20 miles of mixed driving for the sensors to be ready

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had the same problem last March when I got the truck. I had to replace the AF sensor, gas cap and a couple of hoses on the charcoal canister before I got all the monitors ready. As soon as that happened, I finally passed the smog test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts