Good job man and thanks for sharing! Looks great

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
^^ What he said. :tu:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Unfortunately, my console cover needed to be replaced also. The adhesive holding the vinyl on the passenger side of the lid didn't hold, as the vinyl shrunk, leaving a nasty gap and frayed end on that side of the cover.

I truly appreciate you "pioneers" that will dive into repairs and document your successes for the rest of us to follow.

After struggling to remove the console lid on my 08 Tundra double cab, with the help of the tutorial here, I believe that I found a different, easier way to get the lid removed from the console. Maybe I just didn't understand the guidance that was provided here though.

Anyway, here's what I did.

1) as in the preceding instructions: remove the rear, top, trim panel that is exposed, by extending the lid forward. I removed the panel with the lid in the closed, extended position, but think it can be removed with the lid open, and extended.

2) With the trim panel removed, and the lid extended you will see a single #2 phillips screw (visible in the center of the area that was exposed by removing the trim panel). Remove this screw and it will release the trim panel on the underside, center of the console lid. This inside trim panel is held by the one screw and some tabs that secure it to the front inside trim panel. It will pivot out, once released from the screw, allowing it to be removed from the lid. Which in turn will expose the four #2 phillips screws that secure the console lid to two steel, hinged posts that normally secure the lid and allow it to swing open and closed.

3) Now the lid is free of the rest of the console and can be taken to your work bench to remove the two remaining trim panels that are on the underside of the lid (which are secured to the lid by a bunch of #1 phillips screws, and will also give you easy access to see the tabs that hold the console sliding frame, wedge them up with screw drivers and remove that frame, by depressing the console release lever and sliding it free.

Assemble in reverse order.

I ended up taking my lid to a local upholstery shop to be recovered in vinyl. That was $50, but it looks good, the color matches the original, and the new vinyl was stapled in place, in addition to being glued, so hope that I won't have to remove the thing again.

I am sorry that I didn't take photos, but really don't have the computer skills to put together a quality tutorial, like many of you folks do.

Best of luck to those of you that find yourself removing the console covers in your trucks.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Unfortunately, my console cover needed to be replaced also. The adhesive holding the vinyl on the passenger side of the lid didn't hold, as the vinyl shrunk, leaving a nasty gap and frayed end on that side of the cover.

I truly appreciate you "pioneers" that will dive into repairs and document your successes for the rest of us to follow.

After struggling to remove the console lid on my 08 Tundra double cab, with the help of the tutorial here, I believe that I found a different, easier way to get the lid removed from the console. Maybe I just didn't understand the guidance that was provided here though.

Anyway, here's what I did.

1) as in the preceding instructions: remove the rear, top, trim panel that is exposed, by extending the lid forward. I removed the panel with the lid in the closed, extended position, but think it can be removed with the lid open, and extended.

2) With the trim panel removed, and the lid extended you will see a single #2 phillips screw (visible in the center of the area that was exposed by removing the trim panel). Remove this screw and it will release the trim panel on the underside, center of the console lid. This inside trim panel is held by the one screw and some tabs that secure it to the front inside trim panel. It will pivot out, once released from the screw, allowing it to be removed from the lid. Which in turn will expose the four #2 phillips screws that secure the console lid to two steel, hinged posts that normally secure the lid and allow it to swing open and closed.

3) Now the lid is free of the rest of the console and can be taken to your work bench to remove the two remaining trim panels that are on the underside of the lid (which are secured to the lid by a bunch of #1 phillips screws, and will also give you easy access to see the tabs that hold the console sliding frame, wedge them up with screw drivers and remove that frame, by depressing the console release lever and sliding it free.

Assemble in reverse order.

I ended up taking my lid to a local upholstery shop to be recovered in vinyl. That was $50, but it looks good, the color matches the original, and the new vinyl was stapled in place, in addition to being glued, so hope that I won't have to remove the thing again.

I am sorry that I didn't take photos, but really don't have the computer skills to put together a quality tutorial, like many of you folks do.

Best of luck to those of you that find yourself removing the console covers in your trucks.
I'm definitely bookmarking this... I'm going to need it in about 3 months when my new seat covers come in!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Great job and looks good!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used a spare piece of black upholstery grade leather. We got it off ebay for less than $20. The upholstery grade is thick enough to simulate the padding of the vinyl, stretchy enough to be workable, and sturdy enough to last a long time. Still looks great. For me I use Turtle Wax ice to clean and care for it. I use that about once every few months and it's still soft and looks great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is helpful, but for Gen2 prior to 2010/11. Anyone know how to remove the panel under the console lid for the newer models without a sliding lid? I don't need to remove or recover the vinyl on top (yet).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good to know but that's not what I need. I need to get the insert off the bottom of the lid to replace the small round rubber bumpers, and don't want to break it. If someone knows if it just snaps out of the base/ring with the Phillips screws that attach to the vinyl-covered top I's appreciate tips on removal

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the same problem living in the desert where your interior is subjected to some extreme temps. It' s hard on everything. I need to take it apart and get it fixed because the pulling apart of the vinyl is getting worse and worse. thanks for the post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is helpful, but for Gen2 prior to 2010/11. Anyone know how to remove the panel under the console lid for the newer models without a sliding lid? I don't need to remove or recover the vinyl on top (yet).

Anybody have info on how to take apart the non sliding console lid?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts