Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a base model new '07 Tacoma access cab 4x4 with V6, 6 spd manual and the tow package. Dealers can't seem to find this configuration for some reason.

Does anyone have one of these?

I hate my '07 Tundra with the gas-guzzling 5.7 and hope to trade it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Go to one of the on line Toyota sales sites where you can build and order what you want. Build it and see if you can order it. The dealer you talked to may want to sell you what he has in stock so he's really not interested in finding you another. Mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go to one of the on line Toyota sales sites where you can build and order what you want. Build it and see if you can order it. The dealer you talked to may want to sell you what he has in stock so he's really not interested in finding you another. Mike
I just did this (not sure why I didn't think of it myself, duh :)) and it lets me "build" a base Taco 4x4 with V6 and 6 spd manual. It lists option pkgs a-d (I think) and "towing package" is not available by itself, only as part of a pkg of other crap that I don't want.

Under the list of "accessories" it lists "trailer hitch" as one of the add-ons for $455.00. It doesn't refer to this as the "tow package" and it doesn't tell exactly what you get for $455.

I tow an enclosed 5x8 cargo trailer with about 1500-1600 lbs on it almost daily and *NEED* some type of towing setup.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just did this (not sure why I didn't think of it myself, duh :)) and it lets me "build" a base Taco 4x4 with V6 and 6 spd manual. It lists option pkgs a-d (I think) and "towing package" is not available by itself, only as part of a pkg of other crap that I don't want.

Under the list of "accessories" it lists "trailer hitch" as one of the add-ons for $455.00. It doesn't refer to this as the "tow package" and it doesn't tell exactly what you get for $455.

I tow an enclosed 5x8 cargo trailer with about 1500-1600 lbs on it almost daily and *NEED* some type of towing setup.
that 455 add on will not include the oil cooler for the engine.

Get some comfort features.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that 455 add on will not include the oil cooler for the engine.

Get some comfort features.
I don't really care for the chrome of the SR5 and I have no need for the TRD or other "sport packages".

All I want is to be able to safely and easily tow with a new '07 Taco 4x4 with the V6 and the 6 spd.

I never tow more than 2,000 lbs. Shouldn't I be easily "good to go" with the $455.00 hitch from Toyota?

Thanks for any advice in this matter. :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
They do build them; model 7553, there are quite a few in the SET served area that have only SR5 #2, mats, factory trailer pkg with the oil cooler, a few with the 400.00 factory installed alloys. There are a few loaded with dealer/port junk. By "base", did you mean without even the SR5 pkg?, the SET areas do not get any lower than an SR5 except a very very few 4cyl/5spd. These 4cyls w/o SR5 have light tint windows, no slider, manual windows/locks/mirrors, black bumper/fender trim, 2 speed wipers. A conv pkg adds the window/lock/mirrors and slider/tint, but 2 spd wipers and black trim remain. I'm not sure if a V6 can be built this way or not. If by base you meant just not a TRD, then disregard, they do build them with factory tow with just the SR5, at least in some zones.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I never tow more than 2,000 lbs. Shouldn't I be easily "good to go" with the $455.00 hitch from Toyota?

QUOTE]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will be without the engine oil cooler, which is expensive to piece together with over the counter parts, and if you are not going to get the cooler, just go to a good trailer hitch place and get hitch and wiring installed for around 200.00 or so.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The towing package comes with:
- class 4 towing hitch
- engine oil cooler
- heavy duty battery
- 130 amp alternator
- 7 pin connector with converter

For the auto, which you dont want, it comes with the trans oil cooler as well.

If you are only towing 2000 lbs, you should be good to go with just the base model, and a hitch kit from Hidden Hitch, Reese or whatever. Just keep in mind the lower weight cap if you ever do have the need to tow a heavier trailer. Looks like the HH is 1500 lbs less than the factory hitch.

Its too bad Toyota doesnt offer the tow package by itself.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Max towing w/out tow pkg is capped @ 3500lb with receiver type hitch. Bumper tow is even less, see owners manual or rear bumper for limits, I thought the bumper was lower, around 1500 or so, but checking my owners manual it states the rear bumper is good for 3500lb also:eek:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just to let you know the Manuals Trans with the Tow Package do not get the oil cooler. I have the same set up and my doesn't have one. But i guess a manual doesn't need it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My feeling is that the base truck access cab, 4x4, 6 speed with V6 and an aftermarket hitch will easily haul my 2,000 lb setup. The only bigger trailer I might haul would be if I went to a 6x10 and even then the total would be only 2,600-2,700 total weight.

Does anyone feel that I would be that much better off getting the more expensive packages to get the towing package? Keep in mind that I will never haul more than a cargo trailer and 2,700 lbs.

Also, I prefer *not* to have the chrome bumpers of the SR5 package and I have no use/need for PW,PL, CC, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it. :ts:

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 06 6spd has an oil cooler

You should be good to go with just a factory installed hitch. This truck is capable of towing 6500 lbs... come on give the truck some credit and ba!!s

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The owners manual states the max tow with the bumper is 3500, they arent talking about any other receiver installed hitch assy. Go by the max cap that is provide by the company that sells the hitch kit, NOT by what is stated for something is totally unrelated. The hidden hitch is rated at 5000 lbs. There might be a company out there that may sell something along the lines of the factory hitch (6500 lbs).

Personally, I dont like bumper hitches. First off its mounted too high, especially if your truck is lifted or you have a low sitting trailer. If the coupler pops off the ball while towing, or even while hooking up, you can easily damage your bumper, tailgate or other things.

If you want to keep the cost of the truck down, and completely avoid the chrome go for a aftermarket receiver hitch kit.

If you want to just do it right from the get go, get a truck with the factory towing package, buy it with whatever other option package you need and swap out the bumpers down the road. I think its kinda like buying a 2x4 truck with the idea that you want to eventually convert it to 4x4. Well, not as drastic but... just take in consideration what will be better in the long run. Saving a little money up front might turn around and bite you.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The owners manual states the max tow with the bumper is 3500, they arent talking about any other receiver installed hitch assy. Go by the max cap that is provide by the company that sells the hitch kit, NOT by what is stated for something is totally unrelated. The hidden hitch is rated at 5000 lbs. There might be a company out there that may sell something along the lines of the factory hitch (6500 lbs).

The truck is rated to tow 3500lb period, unless equipped with the tow pkg. If you put a 10,000lb hitch on the truck it still rates 3500lb unless the oil cooler(s) are present. The rating on the hitch is just that, the rating of that particular hitch. The tow rating will always default to the lowest rated item; the hitch setup, or the chassis/driveline build level.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My feeling is that the base truck access cab, 4x4, 6 speed with V6 and an aftermarket hitch will easily haul my 2,000 lb setup. The only bigger trailer I might haul would be if I went to a 6x10 and even then the total would be only 2,600-2,700 total weight.

Also, I prefer *not* to have the chrome bumpers of the SR5 package and I have no use/need for PW,PL, CC, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it. :ts:

You will be just fine up the rated 3500lb and prob will still have a certain percentage of error figured in. The engine oil cooler would really only help when turning high rpm's for extended times such climbing long upgrades at high rpm in 4th or 5th. The oil cooler keeps the oil temp close to the water temp during these times. As far as the remainder of the chassis is concerned, the springs/shocks , axle ratios ect are unchanged, so temp comtrol sems to be the only concern of the upgrade.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Personally, I dont like bumper hitches. First off its mounted too high, especially if your truck is lifted or you have a low sitting trailer. If the coupler pops off the ball while towing, or even while hooking up, you can easily damage your bumper, tailgate or other things.

If you want to keep the cost of the truck down, and completely avoid the chrome go for a aftermarket receiver hitch kit.

If you want to just do it right from the get go, get a truck with the factory towing package, buy it with whatever other option package you need and swap out the bumpers down the road. I think its kinda like buying a 2x4 truck with the idea that you want to eventually convert it to 4x4. Well, not as drastic but... just take in consideration what will be better in the long run. Saving a little money up front might turn around and bite you.
Hey, neighbor! :) I just noticed that you're only about 40 miles north of me. Nice weather, huh. :td: The Sox were rained out today and tomorrows Patriots Day game is in jeopardy as well. Luckily, I have that day off. :D

Anyways, I'd never tow with a bumper hitch for the reasons you say. I routinely haul less than a ton and would likely never have a need to go bigger than my 5x8 Haulmark. I'd never even come close to 3,500 let alone 6,500.

In a smaller truck, like the Taco, I see little or no need for PW and PL. The cruise is something that I personally hate and I've found that I had previous trucks with a sliding window that I never even opened.

I really like the plain bumpers over the chrome. As you know, here in New England chrome tends to rust on your way home from the dealership. :)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts

The truck is rated to tow 3500lb period, unless equipped with the tow pkg. If you put a 10,000lb hitch on the truck it still rates 3500lb unless the oil cooler(s) are present. The rating on the hitch is just that, the rating of that particular hitch. The tow rating will always default to the lowest rated item; the hitch setup, or the chassis/driveline build level.
Yes, 3500 lbs with the bumper hitch.

If you install a 5000 lb hitch assy on the truck, its max rating is at 5000 lbs. The oil cooler is nothing but a extra measure to prevent the engine from overheating. There are no differences in the chassis if you purchase the truck with or without the cooler.

On page 284 it does state "without towing package 3500 lbs", because the bumper hitch is the ONLY OPTION YOU HAVE. Page 288 mentions the bumper towing. Give Toyota a call, or Hidden Hitch, Reese or who ever...

Attachments

• 135.7 KB Views: 116

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yes, 3500 lbs with the bumper hitch.

If you install a 5000 lb hitch assy on the truck, its max rating is at 5000 lbs. The oil cooler is nothing but a extra measure to prevent the engine from overheating. There are no differences in the chassis if you purchase the truck with or without the cooler.

On page 284 it does state "without towing package 3500 lbs", because the bumper hitch is the ONLY OPTION YOU HAVE. Page 288 mentions the bumper towing. Give Toyota a call, or Hidden Hitch, Reese or who ever...
So the oil cooler(s) are there for the hell of it?, just install a 10K hitch and tow away............

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hey, neighbor! :) I just noticed that you're only about 40 miles north of me. Nice weather, huh. :td: The Sox were rained out today and tomorrows Patriots Day game is in jeopardy as well. Luckily, I have that day off. :D

Anyways, I'd never tow with a bumper hitch for the reasons you say. I routinely haul less than a ton and would likely never have a need to go bigger than my 5x8 Haulmark. I'd never even come close to 3,500 let alone 6,500.

In a smaller truck, like the Taco, I see little or no need for PW and PL. The cruise is something that I personally hate and I've found that I had previous trucks with a sliding window that I never even opened.

I really like the plain bumpers over the chrome. As you know, here in New England chrome tends to rust on your way home from the dealership. :)
Howdy! Yeah, I really love this weather. Last April, it was the best part of 2006, beautiful weather, the rest of the fall, summer and spring was rain. Since I had just moved back I was pretty excited to have nice weather for biking, etc. So, if this is what its going to be like this summer its going to be more ammo for me to move back west. I'll take dry heat over wet, clammy, chilly weather.

I love PW, PL and cruise, but thats just personal preference. I guess if I was in your shoes Id go with the basic model as well and just pick up a aftermarket hitch assy. On the '04 Tacoma I went with aftermarket and I didnt have any problems with the few times I towed with it. Take the money you save and put it towards some mirror heaters from Muth, and better tires then the stock RT's.

Check out Hitch-web Trailer Hitch Site: 800-300-4067 and some others for the best price and options.

What dealership are you going to buy it from?

Keep safe and warm!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts