Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help in choosing a chainsaw. I've used rental ones before to cut up railroad ties and do not want to go the rental route.

I've got an 800 acre deer lease in San Saba Texas, we'll all be going up there in a few weeks to cut down some trees and clear some new spots. I'll prolly only use the chainsaw once or twice a year so don't want to go all out, but when I will use it I expect to run it for 6-8 hours a day for 3 days so it can't be a toy either.

Any help/advice would be appreciated

thanks.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
need help in choosing a chainsaw. I've used rental ones before to cut up railroad ties and do not want to go the rental route.

I've got an 800 acre deer lease in san saba texas, we'll all be going up there in a few weeks to cut down some trees and clear some new spots. I'll prolly only use the chainsaw once or twice a year so don't want to go all out, but when i will use it i expect to run it for 6-8 hours a day for 3 days so it can't be a toy either.

Any help/advice would be appreciated

thanks.

.... Stihl ....

SOS

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
If you want a saw that will last, you have to buy a Stihl. No questions asked.

Is there a budget?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
My boss has been cutting wood for his wood burning stove for as long as I've known him. He swears by Stihl. Second place would probably be Husqvarna.

·
"Rosco" Thread Derailer
5,778 Posts
STIHL! :tu:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I figured stihl and husqvarna would be th way to go. Found several husqvarnas for 300, haven't priced out stihls yet. Really wanted to stay around 300-450. I really oughtta have them pay for it, bunch of almost retired execs from the big 3 and Toyota so I figure I'm gonna be doing most of the work while they bicker over who's truck is better (too bad I can't rent a unimog and shut em all up lol)

I'm assuming there's different style chains and what kind of life should I expect out of one. The rental one was a POS but then again I've been told railroad ties are horrible on a chainsaw. It's mostly mesquite and pecan trees out there.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
Whatever you get, make sure to pick up a few extra chains, so that you can swap on the fly rather than stop to sharpen. Speaking of sharpen, if you get the shop to sharpen them after you use them, they will be sharper than you can make it, will stay sharp longer, and you won't have to replace it as soon (in my experience, they wear out faster if I sharpen, I guess I wear too much of the blade away trying to get it right).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Back in the mid to late 80's I worked on land surveying crews in Central Texas. At times we had to cut out several hundred to a thousand or so feet of "line of sight" for days on end. We were not kind to our saws. Almost exclusively we used Stihl Farm Boss (es), distant second was the Husky. Dont get too heavy of one or it will wear you out quickly, and you wont use it long no matter how good it is. You wont regret spending the extra $$$ for the Stihl. My .02.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Sharpening the chain yourself is easy if you have the 12V powered file. 2-3 minutes and it is razor sharp. :tu:
I just get my father to do it, when he's 99% finished, I tell him somebody is calling his name. When he leaves, i switch saws...

His mind isn't all there, but at least he still has the good sense to put gas in the gas machines, and diesel in the diesel, he doesn't get all creative like some people.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
A Husky 345 is what I use with a 20" bar then my other is a stihl 440 mag pro running a 28" bar.

In the wildland fire arena we used em both and they chewed up burned trees and again we were not kind to them. Preventative maint is the key.
Chisel chain works good make sure you have chaps and a good face shield & leather work boots.

My saws get used about 3 weeks of the year up in Montana brought back to Az and serviced then they will be ready for the next event. Again I have 5 chains for each saw so I can keep cutting bark beetle kill in the lodge pole pines without need to delay by sharpening. Remember to flip your bar each time you change the chain to keep bar in good shape.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
A Husky 345 is what I use with a 20" bar then my other is a stihl 440 mag pro running a 28" bar.

In the wildland fire arena we used em both and they chewed up burned trees and again we were not kind to them. Preventative maint is the key.
Chisel chain works good make sure you have chaps and a good face shield & leather work boots.

My saws get used about 3 weeks of the year up in Montana brought back to Az and serviced then they will be ready for the next event. Again I have 5 chains for each saw so I can keep cutting bark beetle kill in the lodge pole pines without need to delay by sharpening. Remember to flip your bar each time you change the chain to keep bar in good shape.
flipping the bar, that's a good point.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I figured I'd buy an extra chain in case the first one breaks but can I expect one chain to last during 3 days if cutting? Yes I know depends on number of trees but seriously how much wood could a chuck chuck in 3 days. I am concerned about weight, I'm 6"4 and do work out but of course stamina is key. I gues there's a trade off between saw time and weight. I think 20" is long enough for me. I won't be falling and huge pines or anything. Got that was a bear back home in fla when a 90-120ft pine falls during a hurricane, that's a he'll of a lof of cuts but you get firewood for 10 homes for a year (north fla can get into the 10'sF).
Thanks for the tip on chisle chain, as for face protection I've just worn safety glasses, no shield or anything. Boots I've got a nice pair of leather ariats (cobalt) thatll prolly fit the bill.

Any other blade style suggestions?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Yeah I figured I'd buy an extra chain in case the first one breaks but can I expect one chain to last during 3 days if cutting? Yes I know depends on number of trees but seriously how much wood could a chuck chuck in 3 days. I am concerned about weight, I'm 6"4 and do work out but of course stamina is key. I gues there's a trade off between saw time and weight. I think 20" is long enough for me. I won't be falling and huge pines or anything. Got that was a bear back home in fla when a 90-120ft pine falls during a hurricane, that's a he'll of a lof of cuts but you get firewood for 10 homes for a year (north fla can get into the 10'sF).
Thanks for the tip on chisle chain, as for face protection I've just worn safety glasses, no shield or anything. Boots I've got a nice pair of leather ariats (cobalt) thatll prolly fit the bill.

Any other blade style suggestions?

Thanks again.
Don't let the tree fall on you

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
The BEST investment is a good pair of chainsaw pants. At some point, you'll be tired, just skinning a few branches off the sides of a timber, and it WILL kick back. I've prevented bad cuts to my legs twice by having the chain stop in the mesh of the pants. Seriously the most important thing you can buy (and wear them!)

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
So go with a 20" bar and either saw manufacture keep it light so you can go all day.
A few wedges to make trees go where you want them, be prepared for a few to hang up in other trees and will need to be yanked off of them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts