Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had problems with my truck, I searched on this forum, but never found anything that pinpointed it. I figured I would post and hopefully help someone else out someday.

A little after 100,000 miles I noticed my truck would have a vibration in the body, but not in the steering wheel. I also noticed a squeak at idle speeds. but that went away quickly. I thought it was the tires being off balance, so I took it to the tire shop and they rotated and balanced. I asked them to look at the U joints while they had it up. They told me they all were ok, but one had some rust. I still had the vibration.

I had checked the drive line for any play, but it was tight. After reading on the forums I had believed this was some kind of major drive line problem that many other people are dealing with. So I just ignored it for a while lol

Then it developed a thud when I would stop. I decided to check it out with the brakes on I went from D to R. Each time it would make that thud. so Finally I decided it was just a u joint. Sadly, It had to get bad enough for an average joe like me to figure it out. I then chalked the wheels, put it in neutral, and got under there and found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq-kl727WHs
It was pretty bad. All of the needle bearings were gone out of 2 of the caps across from each other.

Oreilly auto parts can't get a universal joint for my truck, but Auto Zone stocks them. (just the opposite when it came to a gas cap) So I bought one from Auto Zone for $14.00 and got started.

First I removed the nuts and washers from the drive shaft on the differential end.
Then I removed the 2 carrier bearing bolts and was able to slide the drive shaft out of the transmission. That was the easy part. I tried to get the old caps out of the shaft end so I could remove the u joint, but everything I tried they wouldn't budge. :(
I then remembered reading that they were pressed in, i obviously don't have a press. so I found this on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGKX6kwKvSE&p=27CDB14FC4A2BF43&playnext=1&index=41
The dude is slightly goofy, but very good info!
So I took my drive shaft to my buddy's house who has a decent vice. Thank God for friends with tools! I tried to use the entire method as the dude from youtube, but they wouldn't budge. Luckily my friend also had a torch. We heated up the ends around the caps as we had lots of pressure from the vice on the caps. I pounded on both ends with 2 hammers and it slowly started to move out. I pressed in the new caps and it took some persuading, but ended up getting them back in.

Installing the drive shaft was pretty easy, except for getting the shaft back on the tailshaft of the trans. It took probably 10 attempts, then FINALLY it went on. I almost gave up.

I took it out for a test run, I could see out of my rear view mirror again! It used to vibrate so bad everything was blurry. It's smooth and quiet again.

Well that's my story, Hopefully that can help someone else out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good write up man i got the same rig as yours and i think i got that problem to. i checked my drive shaft a few months ago and it has some play in the u joint and when im driving down the road my seats are vibrating like crazzy so im gonna do this, this weeks thanks man

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Great write-up and this now makes me wonder if this is what is causing my seats to vibrate. No vibration through the steering wheel but the passenger seat really goes and it irritates the hell out of me not knowing what the heck is causing it. I am going to check mine out as soon as I have the time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I would get to 85-90 mph it would vibrate so bad it was scary.

Also, check the seals around the caps, if they look bad, make note of that. When the guys at the tire shop told me they had a little rust, that is probably the one they were talking about.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
When I would get to 85-90 mph it would vibrate so bad it was scary.

Also, check the seals around the caps, if they look bad, make note of that. When the guys at the tire shop told me they had a little rust, that is probably the one they were talking about.
My vibration goes away around 80 MPH. Drives me insane wondering what the heck is causing it. Great post and write-up. Going to check mine later this evening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts