Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am only at 14k but the truck is 2 years old and I wanted to get the factory fluid out of it. I used Amsoil extreme 75-90 synthetic-thanks Andy!-and it was very easy! The old fluid was still good and I had a few shavings on the plug, nothing bad. It was done way early but done for peace of mind, plus we did Andy's truck and my friends 2004 F150 and wow what a chore that was!

Getting back to the Tundra, make sure you have a 24mm 6 pt socket...the 15/16 fits but not great and the fill plug feels "flimsy" and succetable to rounding the corners.

Now..comparing the Toyota to the Ford...we have drain/fill plugs where as they have to remove the differential cover which is a lot more work than ours! I love the fact we have 2 bolts vice the numerous 1/2 bolts on theirs not to mention the fun of playing with RTV on the diff face/cover for a gasket. On his F150 we did the serp belt, the front diff fluid, transfer case fluid and the rear diff fluid...and then the drivers side front caliper that the piston rubber material was ripped....what a day of wrenching!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I also did the rear diff fluid change today. Simple. Used Mobil 1 75W-90. The truck is just a hair over 25K on the ODO. Fluid looked good, very little metal on the magnet. So far this is the easiest maintenance item on the whole truck other than the air filter.

Today I did manage to conclusively get the growling out of the front diff, so when I get back from my upcoming trip I'll have the dealer replace it. Funny thing is when I reengaged 4X4 and the sound went away, it didn't come back when I placed the case in 4X2 again. So for those experiencing the growling just flip it into 4X4 and then back out real quick and it will go away!

·
Registered
297 Posts
My rear fluid was pretty nasty when I did it at 7K...last weekend. It wasn't as bad as the front, but it was in need of a change. I put Royal Purple in mine and noticed that it smoothed out the drive train considerably. I did the front and transfer case at the same time.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a 4x2 so nothing to compare it with but on my friends F150 it was the same way; the front was gross and the back was good, even after 77K....but the front called for 75-90 and the rear 75-140.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Did mines yesterday and used Amsoil. Very simple job but a little slow filling it with a lowered vehicle. Toyota's design makes this one of the easiest do-it-yourself maintenance jobs.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree; makes you wonder why the oil cartridge has to be so difficult compared to the screw on filter! And why they don't have a tranny dipstick I have no idea...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts