Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this problem? I hope its not something else that is serious. I would like to know before I take it in and pay $75 just for them to hook a machine and tell me its the airfilter.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Is the filter the oiled kind? If so the MAF sensor is probably just dirty. I have heard of this happen to tons of guys so I wouldn't use the oiled type. I don't know what to clean it with but hopefully someone can tell you. Good luck
Maylon

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
It's the Mass Air Flow sensor. Its somewhere on the tube going from your airbox to the engine I believe. Let me do a search or two and see if I can find something for you.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
alright man good luck. I'd be willing to bet that would fix it. Let me know what happens

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
This is very typical of Ford Rangers. I don't think it's the specific brand vehicle, I think its the type of person that owns a Ranger:D

K&N's in my experience come from the manufacturer with too much oil! I have pulled codes on a couple Ranger's and it comes up as running too rich. Long term fuel trims or off the scale! I've tried cleaning the MAF to no avail. I've always had to replace them.

By saying that I'm not discouraging you from cleaning the MAF. You can buy a can of MAF cleaner for the same price as carb cleaner, cheap. If it doesn't work then have the code pulled and replace the MAF.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have had mine in for almost a year now and now problems. I just oil it and make sure it is completely dry before putting it back in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed my 77 series CAI about three wks ago and I have had not issues!! Hopefully I won't!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If you have to get it scanned got to Autozone/Advanced Auto/Pep Boys or another similar shop and have it scanned for free and reset if you've resolved the issue.

·
E PLURIBUS UNUM
2,247 Posts
Dump the K&N and clean the MAF and I'm willing to bet that your problems are gone. I had issues with my K&N on my tacoma and threw that thing in the trash.... the oil comes off the filter and sticks to the MAF, the dirt that makes it through the filter sticks to the oil on the maf and gives faulty codes. K&N have a whole section of their website saying that the oil doesnt cause the problem... and they can legally say that because the oil itself is not the issue, its the dirt sticking to the oil that is stuck to the maf sensor. Bottom line, I dont trust K&N at all, in any vehicle, for any reason.....

·
Registered
630 Posts
Mine did it on my 09 with the [email protected] The dealership said it was the oil form the filter. They tryed to clean it, I cleaned it but the light just keep coming on. So I had to buy and new maf senser 100 bucks. After that no more problems.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The K&N oil is the problem. I had that happen to me on my 2000 Tacoma and had to replace my MAF and started using the TRD oil. I decided I would never get another oil type filter again.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I don't get it. So everyone that is posting that they have had K&N's with no problems, are you doubting that this is a known problem or you just want to let the guy know that you are lucky to not have the same problem??

·
Registered
570 Posts
I put in one in my 2007, and have had no problems. However, I also haven't had any horse power or mpg benefits.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
are you doubting that this is a known problem or you just want to let the guy know that you are lucky to not have the same problem??
I don't doubt that this is a known problem. However, after using K&N filters in 4 different vehicles with no issues, I think the majority of the problems are a result of improper cleaning/oiling rather than the product itself.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts