Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time again to change my serpentine fan belt my Tundra. I usually take it to the shop and have someone else do it, but I want to tackle the job this time. I'm a do-it-yourself type person, I can't stand to take my truck to someone who doesn't care as much as I do. I gotta admit though, after all this time, I have never changed out a fan belt.....I have no clue on where to start. I have tried to find step by step instruction on how to change the fan belt on the 1st generation Tundra, but have been unsuccessful at finding any information on how to do this small maintenace job. Could someone please point me in the right direction, or give me a step by step tutorial of your own. I need to know if this is something I need to tackle on my own......

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
336 Posts
It should be fairly easy to do. I would buy a belt and then take a sheet of paper and draw a rough diagram of each pulley in relationship to each other. Then I would draw the belt in relationship to each pulley. I.e. Does the belt touch the top, side or bottom of a particular pulley. Then loosen the adjustment pulley... remove the old belt... install the new one, while referring to your drawing and then tighten the new belt using the adjustment pulley.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
You don't loosen a pulley or re tighten one. The tension pulley is spring loaded. You just put a 1/2" ratchet on it with a cheater pipe over the handle and move the idler pulley out of the way and slip the belt off. I use tape to hold the new belt in place so it doesn't slip off a pulley when I am routing the new belt on. The cheater bar is what makes it easy. There is a good bit of tension on the tensioner pulley.

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
Yes it is very easy. As said, the tensioner is spring loaded. Just draw a diagram and I think there is a diagram under the hood too. Also, If you have been having squealing issues, use a Goodyear Gatorback belt. It was the only thing that fixes my squealing, as well as many others.

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
Yes it is very easy. As said, the tensioner is spring loaded. Just draw a diagram and I think there is a diagram under the hood too. Also, If you have been having squealing issues, use a Goodyear Gatorback belt. It was the only thing that fixes my squealing, as well as many others.
Ditto on that belt, for $28 it's a good investment. Autozone sells them.
4.7L Tundra uses Goodyear Gatorback Belt 4060905.
Broken down that Part# means:
* 4060905 = 6 ridges of teeth
* 4060905 = 90.5" effective length
Metric Part# 6PK2300:
* 6PK2300 = 6 peaks
* 6PK2300 = 2300mm effective length

Before two weeks ago, I'd never changed a serpentine belt either. It was pretty simple though. Pull on a large section of the currently installed belt and take a look at which pulley moves, that's the tensioner. FYI, the nut is 14mm and the threads are Reverse. You don't NEED to remove/loosen the pulley. But I did. Move that tensioner pulley enough so that you can wiggle that old belt off of one of the smooth side pulleys.

Smooth Side pulley = smooth-side of belt contacts that one
Ridged Side pulley = tooth-side or ridged-side of belt contacts that one

Install new belt on all of the correct pulleys except the one that has the largest section of slack, and preferably a smooth-side pulley. Then get some slack on the belt by pulling it hard as hell and slide it over the last pulley edge. You're done! Tighten the tensioner pulley if you loosened it earlier.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The tensioner is spring loaded?! No wonder I had such a hard time tightening that sucker!

(just kidding)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts