Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched here and read about 30 threads, but I can't find any answers on jacking up a 6" lifted Tundra to change a flat. I'm about to lift my new 10 DCAB and it dawned on me I might have a hellava time changin a flat on the side of the road!

What are you guys using for jacks and where are you lifting them from... especially the front? I hate to think I need to have it towed just to fix a flat!!

Thanks for your input,

David

·
Registered
519 Posts
I keep a 3 ton jack in my truck box. The jack pad screws up and down to add height. I jack my truck from the bottom of the LCA around where the struts mount. works great.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My factory jack worked in the front where TRDDunn speaks of. I've been thinking about dishing out the $20 for a harbor freight "pump action" bottle jack. Unless someone has anything negative to say about it. ;)

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the better question is what are you going to use as a spare? if u put the stock size on there, on the front its gonna cause some really weird steering issues, and the rear, well thats just a horrible idea, the wheels would turn at complete different speeds.....guess if u were going to carry an extra 35 inch spare tire and a jack big enough to lift it, it shouldnt be too much of an issue haha.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Maybe just use runflats and you won't have to worry about carrying a spare tire or jack hahahahaha!!!!

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Since you can't use a Handi-man jack, try one of those exhaust inflatable jacks. you can set one under just about anything and it will lift over 12".

Seen them used for desert trucks to help them dig out.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Two words.... roadside assistance! If you get a flat they'll patch it right there...

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would invest in a good air pump and a set of tire plugs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two words.... roadside assistance! If you get a flat they'll patch it right there...
I have RRA... but wasn't sure if they would be able to jack it up. And I was thinking of the time it takes most of them to get to you... but you may be right... make the call and wait. After all... I do have a dvd player to keep me entertained! :laughing3d:

David

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I have RRA... but wasn't sure if they would be able to jack it up. And I was thinking of the time it takes most of them to get to you... but you may be right... make the call and wait. After all... I do have a dvd player to keep me entertained! :laughing3d:

David
See, it wouldn't be so bad. Last time I got a flat I got all but one lug nut off and realized the last lugnut was a special one and I didn't have the tool to get it off. It did take roadside assistance a while to get there but he plugged the hole and had me on my way in five minutes. I figure I have it I'm gonna use it. It might not help someone that is in the middle of no where though.

·
Registered
333 Posts
ogtoyfan has the best answer yet- those low pressure air bags are the bomb- you will be surprised how much they can lift and quickly.
Hmm- I may need to get one myself.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Umm. Why not a hi-lift? If you are gonna go through all the trouble to install a 6" lift, then why not get a GOOD set of rock sliders so you can use them as jack points?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
If your suspension is soft enough and the lift is high enough a handi-man will top out before you have the truck up enough to change the tire.

My theory, if you have a lift and use your truck you need
a good tool kit (never know when your gonna need to change/ fix something)
a compressor or a compressed air source (to inflate / reinflate tires and run air tools)
a jack (bottle, handi-man and or a floor jack) (somthing to lift the vehicle and to help push / pull the vehicle or body panels)
a come-along (works like a winch only lighter, cheaper and takes less space)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
A 35" spare barely fits underneath the rear. I bought a block from Discount Tire to put underneath the stock jack: works great. I got the idea from DT because everytime they rotate my tires they have to put blocks on the floor jacks because they don't go high enough. The block fits underneath the stock jack and makes up for the 4" lift.

The block was about $10. Getting the 35 to fit in the spare well is just a matter of crawling underneath and pushing the tire towards the bumoper while someone else cranks it up.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My theory, if you have a lift and use your truck you need
a good tool kit (never know when your gonna need to change/ fix something)
a compressor or a compressed air source (to inflate / reinflate tires and run air tools)
a jack (bottle, handi-man and or a floor jack) (somthing to lift the vehicle and to help push / pull the vehicle or body panels)
a come-along (works like a winch only lighter, cheaper and takes less space)
+1

I carry tire plug kit and a air source, small compressor and now working on a CO2 tank system next so, it be even quicker airing up. I also carry a small tool kit (sockey set) that is in my tool check box in back with tow straps and what not. Be as prepared as possible. :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
last i checked......tire R&R on a lifted pickup is the same as a stock height pickup :beatsme:

·
Registered
115 Posts
A 35" spare barely fits underneath the rear. I bought a block from Discount Tire to put underneath the stock jack: works great. I got the idea from DT because everytime they rotate my tires they have to put blocks on the floor jacks because they don't go high enough. The block fits underneath the stock jack and makes up for the 4" lift.

The block was about $10. Getting the 35 to fit in the spare well is just a matter of crawling underneath and pushing the tire towards the bumoper while someone else cranks it up.
awesome...I freaking love this site! sounds like a PITA to get out though but thanks for info!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts