Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Rubber mallet from the axle side to lightly knock it loose? That used to happen with my Saab...I learned (the hard way) from a tow truck operator while stuck on the parkway.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Make sure the truck is supported securely.. VERY securely on jack stands.

Thread 1 lug nut on about half way... Then use a dead blow hammer and hit the tire/wheel from the back side.

When I have a vehicle in the air, and the rim/tire won't come off.. I hit it alternately from the front side (FIRST).. Left side, then right side.. time after time until it breaks loose. If that doesn't work.. I use the dead blow hammer on the back side.. OR I kick it (from the back side as well)

Hope this helps.. Some times they just like staying where they are!

Be safe!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agree with previous posts.. recently had to change a flat for the first time on my 2008 and thought the damn thing was glued on... took quite a few hits to the tire with a hammer but finally broke loose.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
That's another good reason to rotate your tires every 5,000 miles and then properly torque the lugs. Course, hard miles on cruddy roads and thangs stick.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Apply some Permatex Anti-Seize compound on the hub to keep that from happening again. It's really messy but it works very well.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Apply some Permatex Anti-Seize compound on the hub to keep that from happening again. It's really messy but it works very well.
I had done that and it didn't help.
Especially on the rear wheels.
I always rotated tires every oil change.
And had to use the BFH to get the rears off.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I use another tire+rim as a "battering ram". Roll it hard into the sidewall of the sticking tire+rim. The hit should occur as far radially outward on the sticking tire as possible to maximize leverage on the stuck hub. Once again the cautions about properly supporting the truck must be emphasized.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Remove four lug nuts. Loosen the fifth one and leave it on with about three four turns left. Then stand back a little and give it a good kick (on the rubber sidewall not the wheel). The fifth lug will prevent the wheel from flying off from your ninja kick. Works all the time for me :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i had the same problem last time i changed wheels. i tried everything, and eventually i just got some penetrating spray lubricant, sprayed it around the hub, let it sit for 15min. then came back, faced away from the truck, and donkey kicked the living sh!t out of the tire. it popped off after about 5-10 kicks.

also, you can try removing the lug nuts, then letting the jack down again, the weight of the truck will sometimes pop the wheel off.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
also, you can try removing the lug nuts, then letting the jack down again, the weight of the truck will sometimes pop the wheel off.
Yeep, I had to use that one a couple times too, leaving the nuts part way on. :devil:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yeep, I had to use that one a couple times too, leaving the nuts part way on. :devil:

the only problem on the tundra, with leaving the lugs on. is that they use that stupid shouldered lug nut. so with the lugs left threaded on, you dont get the same force on the outer edge of the wheel, like you do with a conventional lug nut.

im sure these shouldered lugs are sturdier, but if they come loose, you dont even feel it. then you end up watching a wheel fly off on the highway, as ive found out from personal experience on my old 4runner.

·
Registered
139 Posts
got lifted and lugs off. tire will not move at all. how do i get it off? thx
I call AAA. I hate f*&%^*ng up my manicure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've used some WD around the lugs. Let it set in for a minute or two, then smack both sides with that rubber mallet. When u do have it off coat a little of WD on contact point between wheel and rotor. The last thing u need is to get a flat some remote place and you can't change the damn tire because it won't come off.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
My "always works cure" has been mentioned: removing all but one nut, which is left loosely threaded in, then jacking the car down so the tire contacts the ground. Keep lowering until the tire wheel pops off the axle face.

But I have a different suggestion once the wheel is off: lightly coat the wheel hub face with marine grease (get it any WalMart or auto parts store) before reattaching the wheel. The marine grease can withstand the water that invariably gets onto wheel assemblies. It will prevent the wheel rusting to the wheel hub face.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts