Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive sent some PM's on here and have been doing some research...but i want to make my exhaust alittle louder and make it more "head turning". My buddy has some dual straight pipes with glasspacks and it isnt that loud at idle and normal acceleration but once he hits it then it comes alive!! Dual FM 40's is not really what i want i think. Anyone have a way i can get a better sound? thinking of X pipe, dual 30" glasspacks straight out the rear with 2.25" piping....anyone have a clue what that might sound like?? I'd also like to keep my performance too and gain something if possible. I think glasspacks would help with low end torque and the 2.25" piping...anything helps, whether opinions or new ideas! thanks

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
that one does sound pretty good.

although, i have to say that those who are just running a straight pipe back from either the y-pipe or resonator with no muffler are really on to something.

i had the local muffler shop do this on my 04 and it sounded surprisingly great. i've gotten several compliments on it and it's not very loud at idle or hiway speeds. i went with a 2.25 inch pipe back from the bolt up flange behind the resonator. that is slightly less than the stock 2 3/8" pipe. whole set up cost 70 bux. if you don't like it, you can easily go back to stock or spend the bux for the true dual custom fab. surprisingly the transmission "seems" to shift smoother and the engine sounds really throaty when you get on it. there is a mild drone in the cabin around 1600-1800 rpm. nothing loud at all at idle or hiway speeds.

best thing about the straight tube is i can testify to no loss in low end the way i did it. i tow quite a bit. can't say the same for some dual setups. you definitely do not want to go to bigger pipes.

cross section of a single 2 3/8" pipe is 4.43 square inches.

to maintain similar cross sectional area with two pipes you would have to go down to 1 3/4" pipe. that is actually a slight increase, but 1.5 inch pipe is a slight decrease. you'll definitely want and x or h pipe.

personally, i just don't see the potential for any significant performance gains going with true duals other than they look and sound decent if done right. it's a good amount of money to spend for no real increase in power.

whatever you do, good luck and let us know!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that one does sound pretty good.

although, i have to say that those who are just running a straight pipe back from either the y-pipe or resonator with no muffler are really on to something.

i had the local muffler shop do this on my 04 and it sounded surprisingly great. i've gotten several compliments on it and it's not very loud at idle or hiway speeds. i went with a 2.25 inch pipe back from the bolt up flange behind the resonator. that is slightly less than the stock 2 3/8" pipe. whole set up cost 70 bux. if you don't like it, you can easily go back to stock or spend the bux for the true dual custom fab. surprisingly the transmission "seems" to shift smoother and the engine sounds really throaty when you get on it. there is a mild drone in the cabin around 1600-1800 rpm. nothing loud at all at idle or hiway speeds.

best thing about the straight tube is i can testify to no loss in low end the way i did it. i tow quite a bit. can't say the same for some dual setups. you definitely do not want to go to bigger pipes.

cross section of a single 2 3/8" pipe is 4.43 square inches.

to maintain similar cross sectional area with two pipes you would have to go down to 1 3/4" pipe. that is actually a slight increase, but 1.5 inch pipe is a slight decrease. you'll definitely want and x or h pipe.

personally, i just don't see the potential for any significant performance gains going with true duals other than they look and sound decent if done right. it's a good amount of money to spend for no real increase in power.

whatever you do, good luck and let us know!
hmm i wonder if its legal without a muffler...ill have to check out the VA laws. Would you have any sound clips of it? hows it sound compared to that video? thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts