Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2002 tundra that has had the tsb done (larger calipers, etc). Its time to change pads and after reading this board i've selected Hawk HPS pads.

I have read that if you change the pad material you should change the rotors (or at least have them cut). Do ya'll agree with this? If not, what would you recommend i do to the rotors while changing the pads from OE to Hawk?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
If the rotors aren't too worn, I would just have them turned. If they are worn, I would replaced with Brembo's.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Never resurface the rotors if there is no need to!
If you have a pulsation, if they are grooved or if the have surface rust they can be resurfaced within the limits using an on the car lath only.
Taking them somewhere and having them resurfaced on a bench lath with likely cause more problems. In this case your better off just replacing them.
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mike, I installed a set of Hawk pads on my wife's Ford Escape last fall while keeping the factory rotors (then installed a set of Power Slot rotors about 5,000 miles later so I effectively did the brake job twice!!:cry: )

Here's what I did to prep my old rotors for bedding in the new Hawk pads.
First, I cleaned the mounting hat of the rotor (the side that touches the back of the wheel) and the back of the hat (the side that touches the hub flange.) There was a lot of rust built up on both surfaces, so I didn't want to have runout problems once I put everything back together.

Next, I used a 120 grit flexible sanding disk attached to the end of my Craftsman drill. I gently sanded both sides of the rotor to get the old pad material off of it. Then I sprayed both sides liberally with brake cleaner to clean the rotor and destroy the earth's ozone layer. I cleaned up the caliper, installed the pads, and followed Hawk's instructions on break-in procedure.

Stops like an F-18 on a landing hook now!

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Cleaning that rust off the hub is so very important. Your right this is all it takes to produce a runout. Most pad will break into a smooth surface without a problem. Aggressive pads like Hawk will have less problems then say an after-market pad like Raybestos. A cross cut sanding to break the glazes will not hurt a thing. In fact they are many tools sold out there to do this.
I have heard break cleaner is taboo out there.:eek:
Mike

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Are these Hawk pads low priced? I always heard that the OEM pads are very good so are the OEM rotors, when mine is ready I'm going with OEM pads and rotors, I mite use a good after market rotor nothing slotted or drilled, I will research it first and go on sound advice, maybe a Napa branded rotor they seam to use very good stuff.

Mevang, whats a good after market rotor equal or better than OEM.
I'm willing to spend more for longevity, doing things twice is the dealers business, I do my own work and don't like double duty. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
You can't go wrong with the OEM pads. No matter what anyone tells you these are the only pads tested and certified for your vehicle. All other pads are a compromise.
You can in most cases get away with aftermaker rotors. Big name brands tend to have better quality control therefor your more likely to get a rotor very close to the OEM in construction.
Brembo makes a good rotor along with Raybestos. NAPA brand brake products are now currently reboxed Raybestos so your safe with NAPA.
Mike

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The Hawk pads are comparable in price to OEM. OEM are good, but you will notice the quicker stops with Hawk pads installed. On the wife's Solara, it was somewhat better with the Hawks... On the Sequoia, the Hawks were dramatically better. Assume that had to do with the increased weight of the vehicle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 2003 with the original rotors (turned once @ 45K mi.). I have never had problems with the OEM rotors & pads, but have never been impressed with the stopping power. I now have a slight vibration when braking at highway speeds. Typically felt when exiting on a ramp. Nothing serious yet, but it's a safe bet my original rotors need to be replaced.
When looking up replacements at AutoAnything they list Hawk HPS pads for 2003 models with and without Caliper Cast #S13WE. Can anyone tell me what the difference is and how I can tell which I have? Thanks in advance! :tu:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts