Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: The dealership said it was time to flush the old power steering fluid on my 2003 Tundra V8. They were asking WAY too much, and I feel i can do this on my own. Any suggestions on the best way and what type of fluid?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'd just use a cheap turkey baster from the grocery store and suck out the res, then refill w/toyota fluid. I'm sure you can use prestone or any other type of fluid but i've had pumps start making noise after using 'em on chevy's.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I suck down the resevoir with a hand pump (turkey baster or siphon pump will do) and then disconnect the lines at the rack. Turn the steering back and forth to pump out all of the old fluid. Do NOT run the truck while doing this! Reconnect the lines and fill up the resevoir with Synthetic ATF. Start the truck...the pump will whine as the air bleeds out. Turn the steering back and forth several times to work out air, keeping an eye on the resevoir level. You will have to add more fluid as the rack fills up. Top off and you're done.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The way I did it was that I bought a syringe looking thing from Wal-Mart in the automotive dept. called the MixMizer. It's nice becuase it has a 4" tube that can be attached to the tip. I sucked out all the fluid in the reservoir tank and refilled it with Dexron ATF (maybe Dextron, but it's the fluid called for by the manual). I did this everyday or every other day until the fluid returned to the normal color. Took about two weeks but that was because I wasn't driving the truck everyday. It was really easy if you don't feel like messing with the lines like I did.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Go buy yourself a Haynes manual and read their process! they said to bleed air but it might self bleed after a few days? Manual is a good thing and will help in further projects by explaining should i or should i not by reading process!! some times even simple things can snowball and then ya gotta take it somewhere and they charge extra for fixing your problems depending on the degree ya messd it up! i speak with experience and knowledge and recommend dealer manuals if ya can affod them but they are $$$ but trucks $$$ big investment !! do not by the OEM electrical manual either just the maintenance one!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a Haynes manual, but they only sell up to 2002, so I haven't brought it out in a while. I'm sure the process is the same though. Just thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The manuals will only cover things like replacing the pump or the rack and pinion. Drain and refill of the PS fluid is not typically covered. I have the FSM for the 2003 and it doesn't cover this procedure. It DOES cover bleeding and filling.

As long as you get fluid in there after draining, you won't damage anything.

See excerpts from FSM attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Go buy yourself a Haynes manual and read their process!
Please don't do that. Besides torque specifications, I don't trust those manuals for anything. Plus the diagrams in those books are really a pain to read with the ink and paper its printed on.

If possible, get your hands on the service manual that the service department in Toyota dealerships use. This task isn't easy, but if you know someone on the inside, you can get it.

It DOES cover bleeding and filling.
Wouldn't the bleed valve be all you needed to flush the whole system then? The fluid should come out of the bleed valve. Might take awhile but it would work.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Wouldn't the bleed valve be all you needed to flush the whole system then? The fluid should come out of the bleed valve. Might take awhile but it would work.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean by the bleed valve. I looked through the FSM diagrams and didn't see any ports to bleed out air. Doesn't mean it's not there...I just didn't see something listed as a bleed valve.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I'm not even positive that the power steering even has a bleeder/bleed valve on it. I'd assume it does but I'm not sure if it makes a difference if some air is in there.

·
Registered
373 Posts
:confused: The dealership said it was time to flush the old power steering fluid on my 2003 Tundra V8. They were asking WAY too much, and I feel i can do this on my own. Any suggestions on the best way and what type of fluid?
How much was the dealership asking for this service may I ask?

·
Registered
369 Posts
How much was the dealership asking for this service may I ask?
While perusing (for other reasons--and not necessarily for a good laugh, either) the "Service Menu" supplied by the stealership, I noticed the following "offer":

Power Steering Fluid Service
Power Steering Fluid Exchange & Fluid Conditioner Installed
$84.99
All prices include parts and labor. Prices do not include tax, shop supplies, and disposal fees. Price on some models may be higher. No additional charge for any air inhaled while on our premises.

OK, OK. I added that last one ;). Really, though--all I can say is that so-called Conditioner must be some really rare and pricey stuff :eek:.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wow with taxes and all fees this is close to being a $100 service. Yeah I'd rather do this myself too :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just drained some of it out pretty easily and added dexron 3 synthetic. I plan on doing this a few more times in the next months.

Total Cost to me: $4.59

I'd say well worth it.

Thanks again.:tu:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts