Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried swapping out the rear brake pads on my '07 5.7. What is the trick to getting the new pads into the spring clips. At first I thought I got the wrong pads but the backing plate is identical to the original.
The fronts were a piece of cake. Didn't even have to pull the caliper.
BTW I tried to search the forum on this and all I get is a blank page???

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah I had the same problem, ended up forcing them in and the clips moved, they are alot tighter than anything I have seen, I think its the clips deforming slightly, I bent mine around a small amount, til they would just be snug on the tab while they werent mounted on the truck yet.

Replace them and I put the top brake tab in first, then slide in the bottom, though when doing this dont slide the top all the way in, just enough that its got the brake tab flush with the end of the clip (in channel), then start the bottom and make it flush and then push entire pad into position all at once ... once it gets a little sideways it binds and gets to. tight.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I stopped by the dealer today to pick up a new set of pad clips to replace the ones I mangled. First thing I was asked was what was the manufacture date. (May '07 for me) Apparently Toyota got tired of of hearing from irate mechanics on what a PITA the pad replacement was and redesigned the calipers. :mad: The pads are the same for all dates.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I stopped by the dealer today to pick up a new set of pad clips to replace the ones I mangled. First thing I was asked was what was the manufacture date. (May '07 for me) Apparently Toyota got tired of of hearing from irate mechanics on what a PITA the pad replacement was and redesigned the calipers. :mad: The pads are the same for all dates.

What they charge you for the clips? I will replace mine next time I pull the wheels.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were 21 bucks for the 2 caliper set. They might be available at an auto parts store for less?? One thing I noticed is the new clips have an adhesive backing which I hope will reduce the likelyhood of them slipping out of place. I also checked on replacement boots for the sliders but they only come with the piston rebuild kits. The boots on mine are OK now but I expect them to start failing in a few years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts