Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the steel styled wheels on my Tundra. Made a deal to buy from another TS member his TRD takeoffs.

The TS member ships me the takeoffs w/o lug nuts or tire pressure sensors. Get to the dealer to have wheels changed out. Dealer airs and balances the TRD takeoffs and tries to put my TPS in the TRD wheels, oops, won't fit. Comes to tell me the TPS are different on the steel styled wheels than on the TRD wheel. TPS are about $175 per wheel and not available. I tell him just put in valve stems and I will ignore the warning light until I can figure out where to buy some takeoff TPS. He says fine and goes away.

20 minutes later here he comes again. The lug nuts from my styled steel wheels won't work with the TRD takeoffs. Lug nuts are $175 for the set and not available. Fortunately I get my seller to locate the lug nuts for the takeoff TRD and he is shipping them to me.

Long and short of it is not everything is set up to be interchangable. Everything I have read and ask the dealer about has pretty much been set up on all Tundras to recieve all options, even if they weren't included on a specific truck.

Just beware if you are changing wheels that the cost could get out of hand quickly and even the service departments can't tell you until it is on the rack.

Waiting on lug nuts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I had the same problem when I swapped out my styled steel rims for the Carve 20. I needed new TPMS sensors $130.00 a piece, new lugs and I bought some wheel locks to protect my investment. A very expensive upgrade but the truck looks much better now. Check my gallery for pics.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My truck has been ordered:D

I opted for the styled steel, as I will be putting aftermarket wheels on. If I do not use the sensors, what will the result be? A flashing dash light?

Is there a fuse or wire that can be pulled to disconnect the sensor?

The tire pressure sensor would be a good feature to offer as an option, not standard.....IMO.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My truck has been ordered:D
Is there a fuse or wire that can be pulled to disconnect the sensor?
Good question! Someone will know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They (service techs) told me that they could not bypass the warning light. They can put in valve stems but that the warning light will always be on.

If you change wheels and put in new, different, TPS they will still have to reprogram the computer to sense them. Apparently there are at least 2 different types of sensors for the Tundra. They told me the difference was the angle of the valve stem on the sensor. There will be a charge to reprogram and the cost of the new sensors.

I could do without the whole TPS thing. If the tire is low I could just look at it.

I will post after I get the right lug nuts. I will then be running without TPS so the warning light should be on all the time.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Any tire shop should have the right nuts for about $80, and they would be chrome.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may be possible to buy the lug nuts at any tire shop. I have not checked but the dealer told me they were specific to the Toyota Tundra TRD wheel. It is a shanked lug? Looks like a washer at the base of the lug nut. If fits into the recess built into the wheel

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Looks like I may have to educate my dealer. With this kit will I then just have a regular valve stem sticking out to air up the tire and basically all I have done is place the TPS in the middle of the wheel so it can still function but the stem attached to it is now not functional?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I had aftermarket wheels on my 05 access cab and took out the tps' and my light went out on the dash. I also took it out of the spare tire. Every few months the light would come one and blink and then go right back out again.
Im not sure about the 07 though....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just buy tps kit. Its like a L with 2 holes in it. here are some pics.

Photo Gallery

it relocates the tps inside the wheel with a bracket and a steel stem.
Dave
Hey Dave, Where and who do you buy the kits from??

Can you email me the pics, some I can read and some won't come up when I click on them.

[email protected]

thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had the same problem when I swapped out my styled steel rims for the Carve 20. I needed new TPMS sensors $130.00 a piece, new lugs and I bought some wheel locks to protect my investment. A very expensive upgrade but the truck looks much better now. Check my gallery for pics.
What are carve 20 wheels and where does one get them? Are they dealer supplied? They look pretty good.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
20" Carved allow wheels p/n PT533-34070

You can get them thru your dealer or order them thru a place like this Sparks Toyota

1 - 13 of 13 Posts