Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting a backup camera but didn't want to spend a bunch of money on it. I am mainly going to use it for hooking up the trailer. For $56 I think this will serve the purpose pretty well.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's a sweet set up for $56, where'd you find that?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
similar type setups on ebay for same price range. loooks good. let us know how it holds up etc. i almost went this route till i found the overhead monitor setup....

·
Registered
820 Posts
That will do the job, great deal.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I've been looking at those types of cameras too... I was concerned about the picture quality, but it looks like the picture is pretty decent. How's the night-vision with that camera?

LOL - looks like you took the trouble of distorting your license plate numbers BUT you left the ones on your sticker! It's right there beneath the year :confuseda:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been looking at those types of cameras too... I was concerned about the picture quality, but it looks like the picture is pretty decent. How's the night-vision with that camera?

LOL - looks like you took the trouble of distorting your license plate numbers BUT you left the ones on your sticker! It's right there beneath the year :confuseda:
LOL Didn't notice the numbers there! Oh well. The night vision looks pretty good to me,but I don't have any other to compare it to.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you post the item # or something from amazon?

edit: I found it:

Amazon.com: PYLE PLCM36 3.5'' Slim TFT LCD Universal Mount Monitor w/ License Plate Mount Rearview Night Vision Backup Camera: Automotive

How quick does it take the camera to display the image? I had a cheap one once and when you switch into reverse you had to wait for the IRIS or whatever in the camera to white balance it was an annoying 5+ seconds or more

Can you see your Hitch??
It displays the image almost immediately. I had not tried it with the hitch yet so I went try it out and took some pics. One is a regular 2" drop and the other is an equalizer shown backed up to my camper. Sorry about the poor quality pics, the image is actually a little clearer than it looks here.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Is this wired or wireless? I'd love to throw this guy on the back of my camper.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It's wired.
Perfect! How long is the cable that comes with it and did you notice how many conductors are in the wire? I'm sure I'll have to lengthen it for a 37ft trailer and make a place to plug it in the back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perfect! How long is the cable that comes with it and did you notice how many conductors are in the wire? I'm sure I'll have to lengthen it for a 37ft trailer and make a place to plug it in the back.
The camera has three wires. A positive and negative that I tied into reverse lights and video connection(standard RCA cord). The RCA cable that came with it was not long enough for my truck so I just added an extension cable. I'm guessing for your camper you would want the camera to work going down the road so you would probably want the power on a switch. The monitor has two video inputs on it, I am going to add a camera to my camper and should be able to switch between the truck's and camper's camera.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the VR3 Wireless. I think I am going to try and make the display fit in the credit card overhead thing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm looking for a reverse camera set-up for my 10' CM. Looking for a system with the monitor in the rearview mirror OR one that mounts to the overhead console - but without the hefty price tag as with the dealer stuff. No particulars for the camera as long as the resolution is descent. Any suggestions anyone?

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Please keep us updated on the performance on the unit. I have almost bit the bullet on these a couple of times, but the wording weather proof scares me. Alot of reviews state after a while the picture gets cloudy due to moisture getting in to the lense part or looking foggy, but i want one and at that price........ it is hard not to get one. Great job...

·
Registered
27 Posts
vr200275, great post!
Ordered one of these for my truck and am planning the install. I have it pretty well figured out but I really could use some help with the routing of the video cable. I am not sure how to get the cable from inside the cab to the back of the truck. How did you accomplish this part? Kinda of rookie with this type of routing.

Anyone offer any assistance? It would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Please keep us updated on the performance on the unit. I have almost bit the bullet on these a couple of times, but the wording weather proof scares me. Alot of reviews state after a while the picture gets cloudy due to moisture getting in to the lense part or looking foggy, but i want one and at that price........ it is hard not to get one. Great job...
It's only been a couple months, but it's holding up well so far. I go through an automatic carwash about once a week and no moisture in the camera yet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts